Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deathtouch + First Strike

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Deathtouch + First Strike Reply with quote

If a creature with first strike is given deathtouch (ie, White Knight equipped with Basilisk Collar), when are creatures destroyed with deathtouch? After first strike combat damage is dealt, but before normal combat damage? Or after all combat damage is assigned?
GnikXela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would indeed happen during first strike damage, and before normal damage. You are correct.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks.
GnikXela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
702.2. Deathtouch

702.2a Deathtouch is a static ability.

702.2b A player assigning combat damage from a creature with deathtouch can divide that damage as he or she chooses among any number of creatures blocking or blocked by it. This is an exception to the procedures described in rules 510.1c-d.

702.2c A creature that's been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action. See rule 704.

702.2d If a permanent leaves the battlefield before an effect causes it to deal damage, its last known information is used to determine whether it had deathtouch.

702.2e The deathtouch rules function no matter what zone an object with deathtouch deals damage from.

702.2f Multiple instances of deathtouch on the same object are redundant.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better. I wasn't aware that deathtouch was checked as a state-based action. Thanks again.
GnikXela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
Even better. I wasn't aware that deathtouch was checked as a state-based action. Thanks again.

It actually wasn't until they decided to make a bunch of mostly useless rule changes in M10.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TugaChampion wrote:
Bantos86 wrote:

It actually wasn't until they decided to make a bunch of mostly useless rule changes in M10.

The last ruleset I knew was Onslaught-block/7th edition lol. Right after Legions came out, I quit MTG due to lack of people I knew who still played. I finally came back last November.

I missed ALOT lol.

Even after I look up the new rulings, I still wasn't aware of some changes, like the abolishing of mana burn.

And I crapped myself quite readily when I saw that Wizards had not only reintroduced Lightning Bolt, but produced a 5/5 for 5 mana with flying, first strike, lifelink, and two kinds of protection, with no drawbacks.
Durango

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
with no drawbacks.

Other than the 240 bucks you have to pay for a set of them.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durango wrote:
Bantos86 wrote:
with no drawbacks.

Other than the 240 bucks you have to pay for a set of them.

That's not a gameplay drawback, that's a personal problem Razz

Also, I still don't play MTG except online anyways. So that doesn't affect me at least.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1