Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

valakut (obv w/ wwk)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
bagina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: valakut (obv w/ wwk) Reply with quote

i dont see much for the MD of valakut in WWK, except explore maybe (which isnt very good imo)... but there are some tools for the sb it seems. ricochet trap obv, maybe searing blaze, or chain reaction... im sure there are othe cards to consider too.

imo, ORACLE OF MULDAYA is the best thing for valakut. lately ive been running 3 or 4 of them MD and i love it. if u think abt it for a second theres so much synergy with valakut builds and the oracle... terramorphics, khalni, harrow, rampant, expedition, bbe, panoramas etc. i shake my head at decks that are running 0, 1, or 2!!! i encourage u to test running 4 of them (and aprx 26-28 lands) just to see first-hand how fast this guy can ramp u up. even if he only lasts long enough to drop that 2nd land, atleast you have a chance at skimming a land off teh top of ur deck and making ur opp cast a removal spell. the beauty of running 4 is you just drop a 2nd the next turn. if he sticks ur almost guaranteed that every draw u make will be a card u want, while simultaneously ramping like a hoss.

anyways this thread is just for discussion about valakut builds, matchups, whatever. im going to build a version for FNMs in the near future.

so far this is what ive hashed out as a rough list:

4x valakut
4x terramoprhic
1x jund panorama
1x naya panorama
3x forest
15x mountain

4x bbe
4x oracle of muldaya

4x expedition map
4x rampant growth
4x harrow
4x khalni heart
4x bolt
4x explore

SB:
4x lavaball trap
4x ricochet trap
4x chain reaction
3x banefire

i expect most of u to say things like:
-too many muldayas
-too many lands
-explore sucks
-needs more ruinblaster
-clunky sb is clunky and full of holes
etc

but this is just a test list. also the sb is far from complete, or well rounded. most games i dont find myself wanting to side out anything except explore anyways.

ive played the "standard" valakut lists and i honestly prefer this one so far. explore is on very thin ice, and is probably teh card id hope/look to replace after i hear some opinions from all the self-proclaimed mtgeniuses on here Wink
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oracle is insane. explore does suck. and no siege-gang commanders has to be wrong.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explore is pretty good. It might be somewhat useless late, but I like it better than rampant growth almost every time in a deck like this.

I just don't like any deck that ramps but not INTO anything, ya know? It could be good, since you "want" to draw lands late...But it doesn't seem powerful.
bagina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siege-gang > explore for sure jon

siege might even be better than bbe in this deck. nothing sucks liek cascading into a expedition map, or a khalni heart when u need a bolt, or a bolt when u need some ramp

i could probably cut bbe for earthquake, and explore for siege-gang. maybe ill try that a little furtehr down teh road.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but Explore is wonderful... it lets you play another land, AND draws a card. Exploring after an Oracle non-land topdeck would probably let you get one (or two!) more lands into play. How about some comet storms, or is the chance that the BBE will cascade into it that bad?
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Bloodbraid. I know it sucks sometimes, but once you've got Valakut online, she gets scary.

And cutting Lightning Bolt is just plain stupid. Anyone who offers that advice is simply retarded. I have no other words.

And your board is pretty messy, but I'm sure you'll figure something out once you get some testing going. Grazing Gladeheart is actually pretty nutty, and Acidic Slime or Mold Shambler are pretty good options against control (remember Shambler can hit planeswalkers, which is starting to become VERY relevant) Pyroclasm is a good board option, too.
toor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing this deck on modo alot. Cutting the lightning bolts is definitely correct for the meta.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toor wrote:
I have been playing this deck on modo alot. Cutting the lightning bolts is definitely correct for the meta.

Really? Like, cut altogether, or just move to board?
Insom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked baloths or avenger of zendikar in the deck. Ending your curve at 4 just seems wrong.
Griffon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avenger of zendikar is an awesome to pdeck when you are behind, also dragonmaster outcast is a god card for the deck if you can make it stick.

I played this deck on modo for about 2 weeks and then got bored of the c**p top decksi was getting when i needed to hit something (Khalni Heart mainly) and the oracle is a terrible late game top deck so i would personally drop them.
Insom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add 3 or 4 arid mesas. If you are running more oracles than normal I would at least play the same number of fetches as the other versions because without the scry oracle isn't nearly as good.
bagina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbsdown@ whoever told me to cut oracle. oracle is the pimp of this deck!!!

also for those of u who dont like bolt... how about caldera hellion or magma phoenix?
Insom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you scoop to seas, strip mine, ruinblaster and slime which everyone and their mother are playing these days if you don't have an alternate win con like avenger of zendikar. He can stall for days as well if they do let you get valakuts online.

Last edited by Insom on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2