Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Vampires

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
imtheguido

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: New Vampires Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
16 [PT] Swamp (4)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [WWK] Kalastria Highborn
4 [M10] Vampire Aristocrat
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 [M10] Vampire Nocturnus

// Spells
4 [M10] Sign in Blood
4 [ZEN] Disfigure
4 [US] Duress

I've played this a little bit and I can see that it needs some work. But the highborn changed the way I looked at how to play vampires. It's still a very aggro deck, but I now no longer have to worry about getting Bloodghast across the board when they have any blocker that will kill it, as long as Highborn and Aristocrat are on the board. It costs me a single black to do it per ghast, but with land drop, I can continually drain my opponent without having to worry about swinging across.

I need to work in Grim Discovery to bring back the highborn or a Nocturnus when they get killed, and I would also like to work in urge to Feed. Probably in place of the Disfigure, but that brings up an already medium-high mana curve.

I would like to work in some lower cost vampires, to bring down the curve, but I'm really unsure of what to cut.
Tuffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you just auto scoop to slayer now? No big spot removal is really bad. Also with Aristocrat bloodghast+highborn was the combo. Aristocrat is bad, I would cut those for ghast, cus the duress and other crap that doesnt belong in the deck and add mind sludgex2 along with Malakir bloodwitch which NEEDS TO BE IN THE DECK! The effect on it is amazing and way better than what any other card in the deck does besides nocturnus. Before you try to put new cards in a vamp deck, try to figure out why the vamp decks before ran what they did...once you know that then you can add/remove cards.
Epic-Juzam37

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-4 Duress
-4 Disfigure
+4 Urge to Feed
+3 Mind Sludge
+1 Whatever
Urge to feed is a sick play vs baneslayer doubled with Nighthawk as a declared blocker, idk why you would play disfigure over urge its won me so many games
Tuffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and why not run tendrils? Urge can easily be played around when your opp has a baneslayer. Tendrils just gets there and kills it to where urge requires more of an investment. 3 mind sludge is probably not the right number if you are playing tendrils. You want to keep your curve right so I would suggest 3 urge, 4 tendrils and 2 mind sludge. Also, RUN BLOODGHAST!!!!!!!!
Tuffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cookie cutter lists run Lacerator? sounds like your lookin at really bad vamp lists.
imtheguido

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with, I know how old vampires run. I know the entire usual decklist off the top of my head.

4 x Vampire Lacerator
4 x Vampire Nighthawk
4 x Vampire Nocturnus
4 x Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 x Bloodghast
3 x Malakir Bloodwitch
3 x Vampire Hexmage

4 x Sign in Blood
4 x Disfigure
4 x Tendrils of Corruption

4 x Verdant Catacombs
4 x Marsh Flats
14 x Swamp

If I really wanted to play the old deck with new cards, I would have just gone:

-3 x Vampire Hexmage
-4 x Disfigure
+3 x Kalastria Highborn
+4 x Urge to Feed

But... I am not trying to play an old cookie cutter vampire deck. This is an attempt at a new take on vampires. If you have nothing constructive to put towards the current topic other than "Scrap the deck, it sucks" then go somewhere else. You're wasting your time. You shouldn't make assumptions, you just look like a moron.

To everyone else who posted, thanks for the help. Disfigure is definitely coming out for the Urges. For an extra mana, you can pump all your creatures and take care of something with an extra toughness. Mind sludge will probably be better than Duress, but we are just bringing the curve way up. Im gonna take another look at the deck. That was just thrown together quick. Im going to see if I can do a better job of it this time.

Last edited by imtheguido on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
OldBear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Sludge is devestating in vamps.
Tuffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people that post decks that they just ''Randomly threw together'' without any testing or any logical explanations of running cards that wouldnt even be remotely good in any competitive decks sounds like they are wasteing their time and the people who click on the topic.

This is something that I have seen wayyyyyy too much but if your gonna post a deck, please put some real thought into it.
JacobMatthew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vampires NEEDS mindsludge
xDem0n

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is bloodhusk ritualist a valid replacement for mind sludge?
Jag4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grim Discovery is a must, I really switched on to it hammered me in a tournament,

jag
Tuffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ritualist is Junk! Basically you have to invest 8 mana into it for it do discard 5 and you only have a 2/2 attached to it. Mind Sludge is 5 mana, discard 5+ cards....its easy to tell that Sludge>Ritualist.

Grim discovery is the goodz. It is one of the most under-rated Jund SB cards I have ever known.
SJM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because essence scatter sees more play than negate.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too long; still read.

If he gets absolutely nothing from that post, it's a lost cause.

Also, @guido, cool story bro.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5