Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Worldwake Speculation: Analysis of Abyssal Persecutor

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
loki3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Post Worldwake Speculation: Analysis of Abyssal Persecutor Reply with quote

Quote:
Abyssal Persecutor is powerful. It swings in as a huge flier, but needs a supporting deck around it, to kill it after you win.

I have nothing in my past experience to compare to this guy. But the most logical way to use him (to me) is to cast him, then kill him or sacrifice him.

I have gone through the cards in each color and shown what the range of cards are that can kill the Demon, and I will look at different deck colors that can stretch to play him.

Any Deck Running AP
    Bone Splinter (B, sorcery) Sac a creature to destroy a creature. Would work well in a token/creature heavy deck.
    Fleshbag Maurauder (2B)

Monoblack
    Feast of Blood (1B, control 2 vampires, instant) Only viable in a vampire heavy deck, and this isn't even good enough to make it into most current vamp decks so, prob not.
    Gatekeeper of Malakir (BBB) Great offensively and to pop the Demon.
    Xathrid Demon (3BBB, +1 turn) Too slow.

BW
    Path to Exile (W, instant) 4 of in any BW deck
    Celestial Purge (1W, instant) Worth it against decks running B or R, but otherwise, 4 cards that are only for you to ensure victory, are probably not worth it.
    Journey to Nowhere (1W) Sure.
    Oblivion Ring (2W) Sure. Judgement call with this vs JtN.
    Devout Lightcaster (WWW) Really hard to justify in WB. Possibly sideboard, but pushing it.
    Day of Judgement (2WW) Sure. Great card in a control deck. Works in decks running the Demon and Baneslayer. And gets rid of multiple copies.
    World Queller (3WW, +1 turn) Possible in a control deck, but probably not worth it.

BG
    Gluttonous Slime (2G, instant) Instant speed is nice, mostly worthless if not for the win, though flashing bodies are nice.
    Ooze Garden (1G, 1G as sorcery) Kinda lame, but could work as a janky control variant...
    Maelstrom Pulse (1BG) Gets rid of multiple copies.
    Skullmuncher (4G) Too expensive.
    Mycoloth (3GG) Too expensive.
    Marrow Chomper(3BG) Too expensive.

BR
    Terminate (BR, instant) Staple for BR.
    Dark Temper (2R) Possible. If heavy B. Not the best kill spell around.
    Thunder-Thrash Elder (2R) Maybe in a casual BR token deck, but prob. not worth it
    Caldera Hellion (3RR) Nice red board sweeper against Vamps. Less good against white due to Kor Firewalker. Potential sideboard
    Slave of Bolas (3UB/3RB) Could be an interesting tech choice. Steals Baneslayers (etc.) and sacs it, and can also be used to sac the Demon.
    Defiler of Souls (3BBR, +1 turn) Better options

Jund (Includes BR and BG lists from above)
    Scarland Thrinax (GBR) Not worth it in Jund

Artifact
    Carnage Alter (2, 3 as instant) Fine casually. Otherwise, no.
    Eldrazi Monument (5, +1 turn) Great in any deck that runs tons of creatures.

-------------------

Possible Decks:
    Eldrazi Vamps/Sui Black - I think it screws up any vamp synergy, so should be used in a monoblack deck with sacrificing and hate-tech. Besides sacrificing him, black has almost no other way to get rid of Abyssal Prosecutor.
    GWB Rock - Possible... but prob runs 12 high-money mythics...
    WB Tokens - Possible but not many good WB duals... and most good cards in both have BB or WW attached to them. May need green to sort out the colors.

The following decks aren't tested, but are idea skeletons. I know they are essentially netdecks, and can definitely be improved and optimized. I'll test next weekend.
Quote:
Suicidal MonoB Sac Attack
16 Swamp
4 Marsh Flats
4 Verdant Catacombs
24 lands

4 Bloodghast
3 Vampire Hexmage
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Fleshbag Maurader
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Abyssal Prosecutor
2 Malakir Bloodwitch
25 creatures

3 Bonesplinter
4 Sign in Blood
2 Eldrazi Monument
2 Mind Sludge
11 spells

Sideboard Still in development
2 Malakir Bloodwitch
3 Infest
4 Duress
3 Deathmark
3 Quag Vampires (vs other MonoB decks)
15 cards

(GoM, FM, BS and EM are all sac outlets end game. 11 single use, and 2 multi-use (EM).
Bloodghast for the hope at repeatable sacrificing.
Sign in Bloods to draw cards, and help you grab the lands necessary to keep the Bloodghasts coming back.
Especially with the heavy amount of sacrificing that might go on with this deck.

Annoyingly similar to vamps. Needs lotsa work.)

Quote:
GWB Rock (variant of LucksaknNoob's Jan 07 Trial Decklist)
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Sunpetal Grove
4 Marsh Flats
4 Terramorphic Expanse (Possibly a bit too many, especially without 4 Emeria Angels in the mix.)
3 Plains
6 Forest
3 Swamp
25 lands

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Putrid Leech Might swap out for something different.
4 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Emeria Angel
4 Abyssal Persecutor
4 Baneslayer Angel
25 creatures

4 Path to Exile
4 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Elespeth, Knight Errant
10 spells

3 Kor Firewalker
4 Celestial Purge
3 Malakir Bloodwitch
2 Duress
1 Wall of Reverence
2 Identity Crisis/2 more Duress'es
15 cards

(Putrid Leech/Tidehollow Skuller/Emeria Angel/Master of the Wild Hunt/Elespeth slots are quite fluid.
Day of Judgement might be useful in the sideboard.)

Quote:
GWB Tokens (variant of above deck)
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Sunpetal Grove
4 Marsh Flats
4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Plains
6 Forest
3 Swamp
25 Lands

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Emeria Angel
4 Abyssal Persecutor
4 Baneslayer Angel
24 Creatures

4 Path to Exile
4 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Garruk, Wildspeaker
11 spells

3 Kor Firewalker
4 Celestial Purge
3 Malakir Bloodwitch
2 Duress
1 Wall of Reverence
2 Identity Crisis/2 more Duress'es
15 cards

(Master of the Wild Hunt, Bone Splinter, and Eldrazi Monument might want spots in this deck.
Day of Judgement might be useful in the sideboard.)

I am of the philosophy that Abyssal Persecutor is very playable at 2BB.

I don't think he is the right choice for a control deck. He is definitely an aggresive dude. I also believe you need at least 8 ways to get rid of him, probably 10 or 12, because most will likely be doubling as your removal spells. And you want to have removal when you need it, and you want to be able to win once your opponent hits 0 life.

Less APs means less need for additional removal. But if he's really as good as I think he is, he should be a 4-of. The question then is... how much removal should we devote to decks that run him? The deck needs more removal so that they can use their removal spells in the early/mid game without fear, so they don't have to hold on to their removal for the late game.

Initial testing will use the ratio Demons:Removal as 4:10 or 4:8 with 2-3 Eldrazi Monuments as sac outlets. I'll also try 3:8 and see how that goes.

Comments?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he can be used in control.

Why not?
JacobMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
i think he can be used in control.

Why not?

check my post Solar Flare with worldwake
Via

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will run into a decks with counterspells, and they will protect it heavily G1. At least it is something to do with you removal cards against all-shroud decks.

And every game you need a 1 extra removal to win. There is not enough synergy to make it viable imho.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it more, it's not a option to protect the AP as most control decks would struggle to kill you then, against 6/6 flyer that have to stay alive.
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Assassin could probably be mentioned here as well.
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no bonesplinters in the GWB decks? It seems pretty good to me, especially when thinking about how they will try to protect your AP in order to keep you from winning....
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGODehT wrote:
Why no bonesplinters in the GWB decks? It seems pretty good to me, especially when thinking about how they will try to protect your AP in order to keep you from winning....

You are correct. Bonesplinter is reliable!

Quote:
GWB Tokens (variant of above deck)
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Sunpetal Grove
4 Marsh Flats
4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Plains
6 Forest
3 Swamp
25 Lands

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Emeria Angel
4 Abyssal Persecutor
4 Baneslayer Angel
24 Creatures

4 Path to Exile
4 Bonesplinter
3 Maelstrom Pulse
11 spells

3 Kor Firewalker
4 Celestial Purge
3 Malakir Bloodwitch
3 Duress
15 cards
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though on second thought, you only need bonesplinter against decks running counterspells. I might swap 1 for an Elespeth and put the 1 bonesplinter in the sideboard.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1