Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eldrazi Jund ''AKA Buffy'' Article'ish post

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Tuffy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Eldrazi Jund ''AKA Buffy'' Article'ish post Reply with quote

First I would like to say this has been a pet-project of mine for quite some time now. I know some will say that its just Saito-Jund with Cobra instead of Rampant Growth. I can see the similarities but I was never a fan of Jund until one fateful night. It was 2 nights before States here in Iowa I had a dream. I was in the top8 of states with Eldrazi Monument, Siege Gang, Thrinax and BBE in play and swung for the win. I know its weird having a dream about playing magic....its not normal for myself. I woke up right afterwards and I was like HOLY SHAT, Eldrazi in Jund! So I spent about a hour building it and tested it till the night before states tweaking it. Oh yeah, if anyone thinks I made this up all my friends can attest to the fact that I told them about the dream the next day.

This was the list I got 4th at states with.

4 Putrid Leech
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Siege Gang Commander
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Garruk
2 Eldrazi Monument
4 Blightning
1 Bituminous Blast
4 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Mountain
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Savage Lands
1 Jund Panorama
4 Rootbound Crag
3 Dragonskull Summit

SB:
2 Jund Charm
2 Grim Discovery
3 Malakir Bloodwitch
2 Broodmate Dragon
3 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Terminate

My SB definately wasnt optimal but I beat 1 monored in the swiss and boros in the last swiss round which was piloted by a good friend of mine...it was an epic 3 games. Rnd1 of the t8 I played against Boros and 2-0'd it. In the semi's I played against Dredge played by the first Modo PTQ winner and it went to g3 and I couldnt answer t2 crab fetch play. After that I fixed the list for the St. Louis 10k and dropped Garruk for Master of the wild Hunt. Also Fixed my SB since 2 Jund Charms are definately not optimal. The SB going into the 10k was this...

3 Bloodwitch
3 Ruinblaster
3 terminate
3 Jund Charm
2 Grim Discovery

I lost to 2 boros decks and a Naya in the last round. My friend and I agreed to prize-split pre-tournament because we knew we both had a great chance to make it in. So I ended up 6-3 and He ended up top8 with Junk. So they all prize split in the top8, our agreement was 200 max to the other person so I ended up with 200 in my pocket at the end of the day. I got ahold of Gerard Fabiono and shipped him the list since we became buds at nats. He wrote a SCG.com article about it and also suggested the deck ran Slave of Bolas over the Bit Blast which I totally wish I would have thought about beforehand.

Recently there was a 5k in Indianapolis Indiana. Its the first of the Midwest Masters Series. Info can be found here www.midwestmastersseries.com Its a Pastimes event. The top8 had 5 Jund in it but the deck that won was this....

Lands
2 [ZEN] Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
2 [ZEN] Mountain (1)
2 [ZEN] Forest (1)
3 [ZEN] Swamp (1)
4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
4 [M10] Rootbound Crag
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ALA] Savage Lands

// Creatures
3 [M10] Siege-Gang Commander
3 [M10] Master of the Wild Hunt
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [ALA] Sprouting Thrinax
2 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
3 [ARB] Putrid Leech

// Spells
3 [ZEN] Eldrazi Monument
4 [ALA] Blightning
3 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
2 [ARB] Terminate
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
SB: 1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 2 [M10] Pyroclasm
SB: 3 [M10] Great Sable Stag
SB: 3 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 2 [M10] Mind Rot
SB: 3 [ZEN] Malakir Bloodwitch

6 people played the deck and 1 made top8 and won the whole thing. I know not many people even know about the Midwest masters series so I figured I would share this with you guys. I like the build but I dont like that there are no Cobra's in it. Cobra allows for amazing plays. T2 Cobra, t3 Siege gang, t4 Monument is pretty much the nuts. Also some players dont even worry about cobra's and do not use removal on it when needed and I think that is totally wrong. Cobra will win the game with the accelleration it allows.

I have recently worked on my list and dropped Leech because its bad against control decks. I also added a Oran Rief but only one since I dont like to have too many cipt lands. Also Mind Rot is definately worth maindecking since control is popular. I almost considered dropping blightning to 2 and mind rot up to 4 since rot cant be countered by flashfreeze...its just an idea which I havent tested. Also Nighthawk is definately a Jund maindeck staple now since it answers walls and big shroudy guys.

Hope this has helped some people with any problems with what to play in Standard. I have been more focused with Extended since I grind as many ptq's as it takes but I do have a really good grasp on the current standard format since I studied and tested it for 2 months and 5-8 hours or more a day of testing. This deck has been a pet project of mine for a while and will probably be what I work on after worldwake comes out.

Questions and Comments are always welcome Smile

Have Fun and Keep Practice'n -Thomas ''Tuffy'' Maggio
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I think maybe add another garruk, as I could see that being "all it takes" with a monument to win with whatever other dudes you have. Maybe go with bloodghast and the elf that grabs a land from your deck instead of lotus cobra? I think that would be a nice way to keep the monument out long enough to win with it along with everything else in the deck already.
Tuffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodghast is horrible in the mirror and the sb slots are all taken up anyways. Cobra makes the deck faster than regular Jund builds. Borderland is just a 2/2 body that doesnt do anything...fixes your mana but thats not what your worried about more than half the time. Cobra is accelleration on a 2/1 body that can come down t2 and get you to a t3 bloodbraid/siege gang. It allows for very explosive starts that in the mirror you have to have. Also its a threat unlike borderland ranger and rampant growth.

Leech is horrible versus control right now. You dont want to -2 life and lose it to bolt/burn/terminate. Also Mind rot seems better in its place...good in the mirror and against control to where you should side out Leech in the mirror. The only Jund matchup its good against is Jund decks that run Rampant/Borderland Ranger main.

Garruk is at 0 right now. It may be a 2 of again but I want to keep the curve as consistant as possible. I think its either you run Nighthawk or Garruk....Not many other slots are open.
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to lose your Putrid Leech to removal, don't pump if they have mana available to do so. That's what separates the men from the boys.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K tuffy. You know better than I would.

similar logic applies to borderland ranger and lotus cobra for your analysis on putrid leech.
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get playing monuments cuz it's a hard to deal 'threat' and it wins stalemates by itself, but playing it cuz you dreamed it is just idiotic Sad

And leech is awesome vs control, just play it like a bear that has double strike when they tap out.
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, leech its awesome, and only dies to removals if you want... If you play carefully they gonna need much more then a simple removal to deal with it...

Without testing and just by looking to the decks list, I think I prefer the second list you posted, the Indianapolis one...

About cobra, you're not wrong, but it's more of a personal choice, it depends on what you like and how you like to play... But ether way, If you really need cobra, I just grab the second deck and add 3 or 4 cobras to that... (without removing leech) lol

Master is just great if you are playing Eldrazi...
teh_hetero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I have dreams about decks all the time.
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal people dream about girls btw.
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream I made buffalo wings for breakfast last night. I had buffalo wings for breakfast today. I can see where Tuffy is coming from.
Joby_Turk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, I know you said you would add this take out this, but if you were going to play with it tomorrow what would your main and sideboard look like?
Tuffy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the dream that gave me the idea...I built the deck and it was good....I wouldnt just be like HOLY SHAT i dreamed about it so im gonna play it...I am actually good not dumb. I tested it for hours upon hours. I was familiar with every other deck that I could play. My thing is, I always like to look outside the box, suprise factors come a long ways during tournaments. Like in Extended...power conduit is treating me very well lately, and my friend that developed the deck just recently won a ptq with it.

Last edited by Tuffy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Tuffy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maindeck...

4 Lotus Cobra
4 Thrinax
4 Bloodbraid elf
4 Siege-Gang
2 Master of the Wild Hunt
2 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Blightning
2 Mind Rot
2 Garruk
2 Eldrazi Monument
3 Lightning Bolt
2 Terminate
4 Savage Lands
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Dragonskull Summit
3 Rootbound Crag
3 Swamp
3 Forest
2 Mountain
1 Oran Rief
1 B/W fetch

SB:
3 Malakir Bloodwitch
2 Grim Discovery
3 Jund Charm
4 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Terminate
1 Mind Rot

Also my analysis on Leech is that it just dies to removal and can be blocked by wall of denials so it doesnt gain value in the control matchups. Leech is also only a big dude...that is all. It gives no card advantage, no acceleration...nothing at all, just beats face. I think its wrong to play in a control heavy field. I would rather have mind rots in its place. When it was all Jund all the time and decks that wanted to beat Jund by attacking with multiple dudes then yes Leech was good, very good in fact. The deck needed a early drop that could threaten to win the game. That is no longer the case in a control oriented field.

I think Cobra is alot better than borderland ranger because it comes down a turn earlier and begs for a removal spell to be used on it. Even if it dies the turn you play it, it still did something...its just a tool in the deck that can turn into a game threatening accellerant.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think its wrong to play in a control heavy field.

Which field are you referring to, where you live, or ML?
Tao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was Jund all the time, pros told us to cut our Putrid Leeches for Rampant Growths. Putrid Leech keeps control decks honest. Yeah, it sucks when they have Wall of Denial, but what creature outside of Vampire Nighthawk and Baneslayer Angel don't? Otherwise, they are staring down a 2-drop that will smack you for 4 when they are tapping out to play Jace or Divination, or simply a bear that refuses to die to Lightning Bolt.

And please, stop bringing up the argument that Putrid Leech always dies to removal. If your Leech is dying to Path to Exile/Terminate/Bituminous Blast/Maelstrom Pulse, then cheers. Play a Master of the Wild Hunt and make doods. But if it's dying to the likes of Lightning Bolt or (unkicked) Burst Lightning, than you need to re-evaluate how tightly you need to play in regards to Putrid Leech's pump ability.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2