Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An other Isochron Scepter question

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Tritemio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: An other Isochron Scepter question Reply with quote

My opponent have Meddling Mage into play named on Silence
I play Isochron Scepter and imprint Silence, when i activate the scepter can i play silence or not?

Can i imprint Dead/Gone? Can i play gone or not?
KnockouT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meddling Mage will not stop Isochron Scepter, the Scepter just puts a copy of the spell on the stack.

You can imprint Dead/Gone and cast either with the scepter.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: An other Isochron Scepter question Reply with quote

Tritemio wrote:
My opponent have Meddling Mage into play named on Silence
I play Isochron Scepter and imprint Silence, when i activate the scepter can i play silence or not?

Strangely, yes, you can, because of a quirk in the wording of MM. Since he/she (depending on version) specifically says the 'card' can't be cast, you can play copies, since they are not cards. It's actually in the rulings in Gatherer:

* Some cards (such as Isochron Scepter, for example) let you cast a copy of a card. A copy of a card isn't actually a card, so Meddling Mage can't stop this.

Tritemio wrote:
Can i imprint Dead/Gone? Can i play gone or not?

Yes, you can imprint Dead/Gone (since it's an instant with CMC two or less) and yes, you can play the Gone part, since you choose which half to play as you cast it a Scepter has no restrictions on the card once it's imprinted.

KnockouT wrote:
Meddling Mage will not stop Isochron Scepter, the Scepter just puts a copy of the spell on the stack.

No, it doesn't. It specifically says it creates a copy of the card and casts it. Things like Rule of Law will interfere with the Scepter.

Last edited by Hardtrack on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Burton911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5/1/2009: Some cards (such as Isochron Scepter, for example) let you cast a copy of a card. A copy of a card isn't actually a card, so Meddling Mage can't stop this.

From magiccards.info ...

2) Yes u can impringt Dead//Gone
AMER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: An other Isochron Scepter question Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:
* Some cards (such as Isochron Scepter, for example) let you cast a copy of a card. A copy of a card isn't actually a card, so Meddling Mage can't stop this.

if this is the way you explain it your solution is right your process is wrong, scepter doesnt cast it, it puts a copy on the stack.
niknight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: An other Isochron Scepter question Reply with quote

Sliced wrote:
Hardtrack wrote:

if this is the way you explain it your solution is right your process is wrong, scepter doesnt cast it, it puts a copy on the stack.

Sliced, you are incorrect. Scepter does not place a copy on the stack. It allows you to cast a copy of the spell. The best example of this is spells with kicker (think Chant):

You can only pay kicker as you are casting the spell. If the copy was put directly onto the stack, you could not pay kicker. As we all know from recent Extended seasons, the entire point behind Scepter Chant was to keep playing Chant with kicker.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: An other Isochron Scepter question Reply with quote

Sliced wrote:
Hardtrack wrote:

And what you're quoting here are official Gatherer rulings, not my words.
teh_hetero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, will chalice for 1 stop scepter with path to exile imprinted?
Tao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Path copies will be countered.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1