Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planes VS Specters Discarding abilitys

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Planes VS Specters Discarding abilitys Reply with quote

I know that this is kind of a noob question, but just to be sure, here it goes:

When you attack your opponent with a Hypnotic Specter and redirect the damage to a planeswalker he controls, he has to discard a card anyway, or doesn't he?

Thanks!
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't redirect combat damage to planeswalkers.

You either attack a player or a planeswalker. And a planeswalker has no cards in hand.
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure know this card:
"Blightning deals 3 damage to target player. That player discards two cards."

Planeswalker don't have cards on hand, but you still can target him and make your opponent discard 2 cards...

What's the difference here?

(Please note that I'm not saying that you are wrong! Cause I think that you really don't have to discard on the Specter situation... I just don't agree with the explanation you gave...)
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can redirect direct damage spells' damage to planeswalkers, but you can't redirect combat damage. You simply attack the planeswalker instead of the player.

Now the Specter's ability says:
"Whenever Hypnotic Specter deals damage to an opponent, that player discards a card at random."

The specter is attacking the PLANESWALKER not the OPPONENT which means he doesn't have to discard.

Blightning's discard effect affects the player, because he is the target when Blightning is played, but the damage can be redirected to a Planeswalker.

Is it clear now?
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of corse it is!

I don't noticed that Shooter was differentiating Combat-Damage from Direct-Damage...
That's why I wasn't agreeing with the "PWs have no cards on hand" explanation just by itself, obviously!

I had missed the main part of his explanation... My bad!

Sorry about that, and thanks one more time! Wink
boeda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arent you attacking the opponent and then redirecting the damage done? So still no discard effect but this way you play it by the rules.
Khudzlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you're attacking the planeswalker (when you declare attackers)

it's only for spells that you target the player then redirect the damage to the planeswalker
Feijenoorder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not entirely true, redirecting damage to a planeswalker is not restricting to spells targetting the opponent, just to non combat damage spells or abilities you control.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1