Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cracking the Meta Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

your Favorite Shard
Esper
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Grixis
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Naya
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Bant
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Jund
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

DeBenito

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Cracking the Meta Game Reply with quote

Hi, new member here at Magic_League. I really dont know what all this is all about, but i always love to give my opinions about things so here goes. The DeBenito Meta game analysis.

Since the start of this latest T2 season it has been particularly aggravating attempting to come up with even a decent deck in the meta game. We are faced with the Goliath that is Jund who is slowly followed By the RDW. Now Red deck plays pretty easily and that is the beauty of it, a four year old could win with Red Deck, so im focusing alot less on that one and alot more on Jund.

I've spent alot of time in the real-life game circuit trying to create something that is an effective answer for Jund and still vaguely playable against the other decks that make appearances(spread 'em, mono-black crypt, Summoning trap, knight of reliquary combo to name a few). The problem with Jund is every card in that deck just gets more and more unfair. So i started to break it down, what makes jund amazing. Simple the 2-4-1 deal, every card in that deck serves 2 purposes at the least and that is where the power lies. Blood braid and Bit Blast are the easiest examples because they cascade and the options for what amazing combo comes from such a cascade are quite hard to deal with or answer. Those two cards are far from what make it strong though, the double dragon (broodmate), sign in blood, sprouting thrinax, maelstrom pulse, resounding thunder, blightning, are all cards that in some way prolong or prevent the board from shifting away from junds dominance. Blightning, maelstrom pulse are two great control cards that cascade off of the blood braid or bit blast. Whenever it hits 3 of the 4 for 5 off a bit it is absolutely ridiculous. Sign in blood, is a great draw card and can even be used to poke ur opponent in the eyes and win. Combine everything else except the shaky mana base and u got one killer deck. Right?

Wrong? the meta game is sadly evolving so close to world wake. Now it is not that someone has finally taken the throne populated by Jund or the recliner next to the throne occupied by its retarded cousin red deck wins. Though on the other hand we have the T2 Dredge thing which is hard to deal with if u didnt play relic's in ur board. We had Spread em which is sometimes fail against jund but sometimes, sometimes it wins. Naya Lighsaber which is about a 60-40 split with jund. So what do these decks have in common? They all attempted what jund does, Make each and every card more unfair than the last one u drew (land no included, unless u play valakut then that land is not fair, unless u play spread 'em). Here is my simple piece of advice for anyone out there trying to build the next big thing as far as decks go. If you wanna crack the meta game build a deck u like, look at it, if any of the cards in the deck are in anyway fair to ur opponent, take it apart try again.

In conclusion this was not so much how every one of u can beat the meta-game with ur awesome home brew that is awesome cause u played thornling or some other marginally playable card, as it was more of a long suck up to how awesome jund was when it was starting to de-throne 5cc in the last standard season. U see though that is what u have to do, you have to take a problem and answer it with a pin pointed yet well rounded response to the other problems that may appear as u battle to get to the final table, at which point u will probably face off against jund(you target for the evening) and be victorious and crowned grand supreme kai of deck making. Like that girl who made eldrazi good and until that point everyone was like "Eldrazi what a stupid card" but i liked it and they all said "your dumb" and now it is a known deck so now who was right.

One last thing Enlisted worm---->Bitmunous blast----->Blood braid elf----->maelstrom Pulse on one cascade "LIVE THE DREAM".
Tao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
other decks that make appearances(spread 'em, mono-black crypt, Summoning trap, knight of reliquary combo to name a few).

c'mon, really? those are the only other decks you can think of?
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmon man, he says "to name a few"... Give him a break.... lol Wink

Anyway, when zendikar cames out, I started to play Jund... And I loved it so much... And in 10 games, I usually played against other Jund deck 2 or 3 times, maximum! It was a dream deck... WOW

But a few weeks later, everyone was playing it, but everyone knows that...
I started to play another decks cause I didn't like to play mirror, and after that, I just started to hate Jund simply cause everyone was playing it!

Thank God that there are a lot of decks that can beat Jund now... Just Jund-Hate-Decks at first; and now you have a really good decks that with just a couple of cards on Side you can have a good matchup against Jund!

And just take a look at the deck preferences on last tornaments:

January 1
10 Jund (16.39%)
6 Grixis Control (9.83%)

December 31
7 Jund (11.11%)
7 Grixis Control (11.11%)
6 Red Deck Wins (9.52%)
5 MonoB Vampires (7.93%)
4 Turbo Fog (6.34%)
4 Bant (6.34%)
4 WW (6.34%)

December 25
6 Jund (10%)
5 Red Deck Wins (8.33%)
5 It's a Trap! (8.33%)
4 Grixis Control (6.66%)
4 Boros Bushwacker (6.66%)

Jund still being at top of preferences, but the difference is not that big right now... And notice that, on the last 12 tournaments Jund won the first place just one time, and ended at top4 just a couple of times, even with his higher preference percentage on all of that tournaments!!
I think that the golden days of Jund was gone already... What doesn't mean that it is not a great deck, cause everyone knows that it really is! No doubts about that!

Anyway, nowadays my choices goes to UW-Control and Grixis... Maybe some Elf decks one time or another just to change deck a little bit.. lol
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. -> You were talking about Spread'em against Jund, and I think you said that it wins sometimes...
Well, I have to disagree with that... I can say for sure, that I didn't lost to Jund a single time with Spread'em... The deck isn't that good on overall, mostly against mono-color-decks of corse... But against Jund? WOW
To me, Spread'em is the Ultimate Jund-Hate-Deck! lol Wink
DeBenito

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: agreed Reply with quote

i agree that spread em is a great jund answer but its just so weak in the rest of the meta game that i cant really justify it as the "answer" to jund whats the point in beating jund if u lose before u play jund XD.
kburts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuund!!!
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go golgari!
gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic-league trials do not represent actual metagame just look at the last few extended trials with like 3 zoo decks in them. jund is still the best deck and the most played deck its like >30% of the metagame on magic online
DeBenito

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

i imagine that people on magic-league trials are more likely to play homebrews or modified meta game decks because they dont have to pay 6-15 dollars to play and there arent packs on the line. I'd be more curious to know how many jund decks are played at like the master's tournament because it apparently offers a cash prize
AncientSion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: well... Reply with quote

DeBenito wrote:
i imagine that people on magic-league trials are more likely to play homebrews or modified meta game decks because they dont have to pay 6-15 dollars to play and there arent packs on the line. I'd be more curious to know how many jund decks are played at like the master's tournament because it apparently offers a cash prize

Without a buy-in, its barely any change at all.
SJM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard is irrelevant for 99% of the magic community until May for regionals and GP Baltimore.

There will be two more sets in standard by then.

The rest is just FNM and online play testing.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW 2/2 Protection from Red. Whenever a player casts a red spell you may gain 1 life.

Bye, bye RDW and any hope for goblins.

Baneslayer decks vs. Jund will be the standard meta until alara block rotates at which point only Baneslayer decks will be viable.
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New jace is sweet.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2