Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

planeswalker questions

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
cerka6

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: planeswalker questions Reply with quote

So i am just getting back into the game after several years out of it and planeswalkers are new to me. just wondering the timing of using their abilities. are the counter on them a cost that is paid right away like the cost of say with putrid leach where you get the counters put on or taken off the planeswalker right away and you can't respond to them.
DuCK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe as with anything in magic, and correct me if I'm wrong, once the permanent is in play and triggered abilites have resolved, aka the stack is empty, you as the active player have priority to play spells and abilities. The planeswalker ability will go on the stack if you use the ability just after it entered the battlefield and the counter will be added as a cost meaning lightning bolt alone would not kill a planeswalker like ajani vengeant if you activate him to tap a permanent down.
cerka6

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

situations like that are what i am not sure of. is the counter the cost of part of the ability.
Majik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can see it that way.

When you use an ability you either add or remove counters.

Ajani vengeant for instance comes into play with 3 counters. You have priority to use his tap perm ability and add counter before anything your opp does.

The abilities are instant speed, im not sure if the PW abilities even go on the stack.
r4nd0m1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, fmj1980! Very Happy

DuCK nailed it. GJ

Majik not so much, as the abilities are sorcery speed and they do use the stack.

About your question, you need to look at it this way: A planeswalters ability reads "Cost : Effect", like regular activated abilities. You cant respond to a cost, but responding to the effect of the ability works normal.

Have fun))
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1