Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T2 RDW

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Is Quenchable Fire better than Elemental Appeal?
Yes
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

getmatt201

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: T2 RDW Reply with quote

Here's my list:

// Lands
12 [CHK] Mountain (3)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
4 [ZEN] Teetering Peaks

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Plated Geopede
4 [CNF] Hellspark Elemental
4 [ALA] Hell's Thunder
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [M10] Ball Lightning

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [M10] Earthquake
4 [ZEN] Elemental Appeal

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ZEN] Mark of Mutiny
SB: 3 [M10] Manabarbs
SB: 4 [ZEN] Unstable Footing
SB: 4 [DS] Dragon's Claw

I see all the RDW decks playing 4 unstable footing in the sideboard. Is there anything besides turbo fog these are used against? I was also wondering what matches you side in mark of mutiny. Is quenchable fire better than elemental appeal? Do I side in dragon's claw against anything with red in it?

Off topic question but if I attack with a baneslayer angel and my opponent blocks with a malakir bloodwitch and then I play unstable footing, will the witch die?
SJM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with your poll's premise. Quenchable Fire is "better" IF they can't pay U and take 6 to the dome. Otherwise, Elemental Appeal is "better" because potentially hitting them for 7 for 4 mana is better than a 4 mana sorcery that does 3 to the dome.

Unstable Footing is not needed in the board. Put 4 Banefire in the board instead. It is just as good against fog decks and it has more utility such as killing baneslayer if the fog player sides them in (they will, usually), or against random control decks that don't board in swerve (most grixis decks seem to not be running swerve main or side). If you see a ton of fog in your meta run 2 unstable footing and 4 banefire in the side and bring them all in against fog decks to make them cry.

At random tournaments I'd run elemental appeal main and quenchable fire in the side. Bring in quenchable fire against naya, jund, mono-green, etc. The format is too random to run quenchable main unless you were playing in a metagame like at worlds (tons of Jund). Most casual/open tourneys are too random and quenchable fire is really shitty at 4 mana sorcery 3 dmg to the dome. Grixis, U/W control, turbo-fog, bant are all making a strong showing in random tournaments.

Dragon's Claw is there against other RDW decks. I personally don't think RDW is a significant enough part of the meta to side 4 of them at the moment. Siding in the claw against naya would be awful. Siding it in against Jund would be awful. You don't need to gain a few life against anything but RDW mirrors. Against Boros I would have to test the match up to say.

I prefer 4x magma rift over 4x mark of mutiny. I lost a game at states where I mark of mutiny'd a wooly thoctar and smashed for 6 with it because later on I could only earthquake for 4 but it was 6/5.

On the banefire note. I actually think the deck wants to move to 13 mountains to power earthquakes and banefires. If you have valakut in the side you can board that in with your banefires to hopefully get them to 5 ASAP.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to disagree with you sjm, unstable footing is amazing for red against turbofog because all the damaage for the turn cant be prevented, thats a huge upperhand for this deck in that mu.
Via

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
It's called sligh. RDW uses mana denial in it's strategy. Everyone has been calling sligh the wrong fucking name for, like six years.

Actually it is not a slight either. Originally, slight deck was called a red deck with very aggressive creature curve, multiple 1 and 2 mana critters. Like Jackal Pup and Ironclaw Orcs http://magiccards.info/5e/en/245.html

That is not a case. I just call it Burn. As it is a classic burn deck, not looking for board possession. Attacking life directly via burn spells and pseudo-burn hasty creatures.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they called Sligh and what they called RDW in the past is irrelevant. What they call it now is a mono red deck that is designed to be the fastest in the meta and thus have no means of defense.

RDW doesn't need sideboarding vs Fog. It is a bye both md and g2. That is why they should run Dragon's Claw, Manabarbs, Quenchable Fires or Banefire over Unstable Footing in the side. Manabarbs is a gg against fog.
Insom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruinblasters and pithing needles are a couple of my favorite cards from my sideboard.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's red... and only red... and it's aggro. Let's call it MONO RED AGGRO! And sligh focuses on aggressive creature/spell plays, maximizing the mana curve. This deck does that (alright, so there aren't many 1 drops).

Mark of Mutiny is for opposing big critters that'll ruin their day if you attack them with it. Example: Baneslayer Angel, Woolly Thoctar, Darksteel Colossus, etc etc etc. Just make sure that it's for the win... you don't want to make it bigger for the opponent too. If you have problems with that, use the Threaten wannabe (I forgot the name).
SJM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog isn't a bye. It's a great matchup for RDW, especially if you have some good board cards like banefire, but not a bye.

No deck that can bring in 4 BSA is a bye for RDW.
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the question Re: BSA vs Bloodwitch...

IANAJ, but I believe that yes, witch dies. Protection's effect in the rules states that damage caused is prevented. Unstable Footing says Damage cannot be prevented, so that means that Protection's damage prevention is overruled.
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a credit to the american education system that they can produce people so dumb, who some how dont know there dumb.

However it does make them look bad alot on the internet.

I'm not trying to say that all americans are dumb here, they produce alot of intelligent people as well just that dumb americans do not seem to know they are dumb, like people from all other countries whom happen to be dumb.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wat
Sandro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
I think its a credit to the american education system that they can produce people so dumb, who somehow dont know they're dumb.

However, it does make them look bad alot on the internet.

I'm not trying to say that all americans are dumb here, they produce alot of intelligent people as well just that dumb americans do not seem to know they are dumb, like people from all other countries whom happen to be dumb.

You probably shouldn't be calling other people dumb in the same post you make multiple grammar mistakes. Just saying. I wouldn't have replied, but you are being an ****.
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not and oh no i didnt spell or grammar check what I wrote big deal. Infact I didnt even read it over. I'm not actually specifically calling anyone dumb if you read what I said.

Don't even try and convince me I'm dumb lol I've got a load of exam results qualifications that beg to differ.

I was making an observation about cultural variations in the education system. Alot of below average people educated in europe (by europe I'm mainly talking about the UK here) tend to lack the confidence to voice there opinions as vocally as american counter parts. Which is for the most part a good thing, I was complementaing the american education system for that but pointing out how it can be a double edged sword in how Americans are perceived.
Sandro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
No I'm not and oh no i didnt spell or grammar check what I wrote big deal. Infact I didnt even read it over. I'm not actually specifically calling anyone dumb if you read what I said.

Don't even try and convince me I'm dumb lol I've got a load of exam results qualifications that beg to differ.

I was making an observation about cultural variations in the education system. Alot of below average people educated in europe (by europe I'm mainly talking about the UK here) tend to lack the confidence to voice there opinions as vocally as american counter parts. Which is for the most part a good thing, I was complementaing the american education system for that but pointing out how it can be a double edged sword in how Americans are perceived.

You were not trying to compliment the American education system on anything. Don't try to pull that. Anyways, have a good day. Smile
kumagmd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude... in fairness to Americans, they're not the worst retards on the Internet. Just the majority in terms of population... maybe due to the popularity of Internet access and the common view that dissing someone and/or acting like an ass is "cool" to them.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3