Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ur owl 1st place deck

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Ur owl 1st place deck Reply with quote

UR Owl
1st - combomaster
Main Deck Sideboard
8 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
11 Island
4 Goblin Guide
3 Twincast
3 Jace Beleren
4 Runeflare Trap
4 Burst Lightning
4 Ponder
4 Font of Mythos
4 Howling Mine
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Time Warp

4 Pyroclasm
3 Into the Roil
3 Quenchable Fire
3 Negate
2 Banefire

Deck from trial can not discuss on deck section i believe a version top 8 masters as well, really want to get some discussion going on this deck so made this thread.

Here is an old thread about the deck to give you some idea about its evolution http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=125223#125223

I think this version is fucking awsome, much better than what i had.
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you call it "Owl"
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called that in reference to the old owling mine deck back from ravnica t2 days, I prefer runeflare trap combo but the mods on ml called it that and I just cped it.
loki3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deck has some merit to it, but... I've tested it some, and it just seems too slow, with not enough removal to survive...

Even if this deck hits a Time Warp, it might not win, whereas the version with Pyromancer's Ascension (below) wins because it gets 3-5 turns in a row while drawing 2-3 cards per turn... and the early removal plus card draw helps feed the combo...

Here's an alternative...
Naoki Sakaguchi's Pyromancer's Howl
2009 World Championships Standard

Main Deck

9 Island
7 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Terramorphic Expanse

2 Banefire
4 Burst Lightning
4 Double Negative
4 Howling Mine
4 Into the Roil
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Ponder
4 Pyromancer Ascension
4 Time Warp
4 Worldly Counsel
38 other spells

Sideboard

4 Flashfreeze
4 Negate
4 Pyroclasm
3 Sphinx of Jwar Isle

Both of these decks like to mulligan if they don't get enough card draw.
Kytep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Goblin Guides primarily just there for defense, as a cheap 2/2 "wall"? If so, would Kraken Hatchling (0/4 for 1 mana) be better? I understand that 2 power can kill a lot of weenies, but 2 toughness is pretty vulnerable to lightning (Bolt and Burst varieties). I can see arguments both ways; I'm curious to hear some more reasoning why one would run Guides over Hatchlings (or vice-versa).

Kytep
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make your opponents hand bigger
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck needs more earthquake.
jebus911

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been testing it, and the guides run really well.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much rather not draw guide late in game, when trying to combo, a wall would serve better than the 2 points of damage imo
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the deck doesnt have any other creature defense, and doesnt need much either.

The guides provide quick damage, and keeps the opponents hand fuller (good point there)

Because its a combo deck it doesnt mind so much about letting the opponent get lands in his hand, because if the combo ignites the game is over.

In the non-ascension build, the deck isnt dependant on spells so much to activate the enchantment, therefore you can better 'tune' the deck by not necessitating 4 copies of each spell, let alone ALL spells.

So fast damage, it fights like a burn deck, except with blue card advantage.

The lack of ascension doesnt bother me since burst/bolt are the only two dedicated instant burn in the format right now, guides are limited to early game as they are bears after all, and runeflare is situational (even if it IS a bomb)

Its a great deck, but I liked the combo tools only version with ascension, it just felt so much more fun to play! because you worried about getting that enchantment online.

However~ my deckbuilding skills are apparently null and void since my coming back, so if this is more consistent then cool ;p
kaamos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for playability, indeed topping the guide would suck if you dont have your combo tools/artifacts at hand to draw more.

And with mines/fonts I dont think jace is necessary in a deck that cant defend him.

The reason why I think I'd rather use Ascension is because that build WILL use the board sweeping spells, such as pyroclasm and volcanic fallout.

For a deck that has no creature defense, and limited burn, by turn 5 even if you have timewarp/s you've taken a beating by aggro decks, pyroclasm offers the bear sweep, which can activate, and be used with ascension (which I have) or can be tooled with a burst/bolt to take down those extra heavy creatures.

Earthquake would be a good idea, costs 3 to do what pyroclasm does, or can be pumped to direct at your opponent, and it can be doubled by ascension if you are using it.

If you need a creature, a deck that needs to play off of 3-4 casting permanents and 1 casting spells than your goblin guides are the right choice.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
I would much rather not draw guide late in game, when trying to combo, a wall would serve better than the 2 points of damage imo

It is usually a lot more than 2 damage. A Wall does not deal damage and is therefore useless.
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goblin guide is very strong, one in opening hand is a menace, two can beat some decks on its own.

The draw back of extra cards is not a draw back in this deck and when you also consider that when it does not hit a land you get to see whats on top of your opponents deck, is very useful, I find this even with out wanting the extra cards in your oppponents hand often more than compensates for the drawback. I.e your playing vs Jund you see a pulse on top, you know not to risk playing the font until you have 6 mana and negate, huge advantage.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
Goblin guide is very strong, one in opening hand is a menace, two can beat some decks on its own.

The draw back of extra cards is not a draw back in this deck and when you also consider that when it does not hit a land you get to see whats on top of your opponents deck, is very useful, I find this even with out wanting the extra cards in your oppponents hand often more than compensates for the drawback. I.e your playing vs Jund you see a pulse on top, you know not to risk playing the font until you have 6 mana and negate, huge advantage.

This is why I run Spell Pierce main. One turn earlier safe play of the key spells.
Pegachris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While its a cool deck I wouldnt be that overly excited about it. My deck was doing great the whole trial but in the finals in game 1 I got stuck on 2 lands then game 2 got stuck on 3 lands.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4