Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worst Tournament Report You've Ever Read - Or Red Deck Loses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
SJM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Worst Tournament Report You've Ever Read - Or Red Deck Loses Reply with quote

I told my boy that we should both take Red Deck Wins to states because we're both too lazy to do any testing and a deck like that can beat just about anything and is less likely to mull and punishes opponent's with bad draws. In addition to that, the deck craps on Jund.

So I'm gonna just cut to the chase and say we both went 6-2 placing 12th and 18th. I saw 0 Jund decks and my friend only saw 1. I started out 0-2 like a giant scrub while my boy went 6-1 and lost in the last round to miss top seed in the top 8.

I hadn't been to a states tournament since 2001. These are very casual events, like a giant Friday Night Magic. There is no established metagame and bringing a metagame tuned deck is absurd. The best deck to play in this tournament was jund because it is the best deck and less than 15% of the field was running it.

As for RDW...

4 Banefire from the side was amazing. There were a lot of turbo-fog and grixis control decks and banefire destroyed them and their precious little baneslayers (turbofog from the side).

There was way too much blue in the field to run quenchable fire main. Out of 16 opponents we faced, 8 of them were running blue sources in one form or another (land or birds/hierarch).

There wasn't much Jund and most of the decks at the top tables were 4x Baneslayer + random cards.

Vampires did well early, but by rounds 6-8 had been knocked out of the top tables by Baneslayer + piles of cards.

Some decks that made top 8:
1 u/w control
1 naya
1 jund
1 g/w featuring thorn elemental, lotus cobra, wall of reverence, emeria angel, lotus cobra, baneslayer etc.

That's all I know for sure.

All of this is really a segue-way into a funny story.

At some point the defending state champ dropped a noble hierarch from his naya deck on the ground. My buddy came along and found it and, knowing that the judges would just keep it for themselves if he turned it in, he stuck it in his pocket (he didn't know it belonged to that guy, he thought it was his last opponent's and tried to give it back to him but it wasn't his). The guy got deck checked during his next round and was issued a game loss and had to shell out $15 to buy a noble hierarch from the tournament organizers. He still won the round and made top 8.

The list we ran was identical to the main deck used by Brimstone in the last master:

4 Arid Mesa
12 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peaks
4 Ball Lightning
4 Goblin Guide
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Plated Geopede
4 Burst Lightning
4 Earthquake
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Quenchable Fire

We both ran 4 banefire and 4 elemental appeal in the side with some differences from there. In retrospect the elemental appeal should have been main and the quenchable fires belonged in the side.

Mark of Mutiny wasn't that great in the side.

What we beat:
1 Jund
3 Grixis control
1 turbo fog
2 naya
2 bant
2 other
1 white weenie/tokens

What we lost to:
U/W control (multiple wall of reverence stalling into sphinx of jwar isle)

Bant with vines of vastwood to protect baneslayer

Naya (got him to 2 and then baneslayer won him the game)

G/W/B landfall featuring Ob Nix, Grazing Glade Heart, Knight of the Reliquary, Lotus Cobra, and about 12 fetchlands (shouldn't have lost to this most likely, but Grazing Glade Heart somehow didn't leave the board in games 1 and 3)

So, the lesson learned is that $200 paid for 4 BaneSlayers can carry you to victory. However, my theory of showing up with 0 play testing running Red Deck wins worked out beautifully in my opinion given that one of us narrowly missed top 8 and both went 6-2 on the day with absolutely no testing and without paying $200 for BaneSlayers.

RDW can beat everything in the format and is a great choice for Friday Night Magic which is the only standard event relevant to the vast majority of us until regionals in May.
Thanik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Worst Tournament Report You've Ever Read - Or Red Deck L Reply with quote

SJM wrote:
RDW can beat everything in the format

except people who

Quote:
paid for 4 BaneSlayers

From the sounds of it.

Still, a good showing, well done, and thanks for the report. I guess the biggest error you made was expecting people to play good decks Razz
Tao

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT States was practically a joke. I never once played Jund. I played Mono White Midrange (Baneslayer, Emeria Angel, Honor of the Pure, Wall of Reverence), RDW sporting Howling Mines and main deck Spire Barrage and Banefires, traditional RDW, and an insane RGWu Aggro Homebrew. I ended up losing to all but Mono White, dropped, and played EDH and Type 4 all day.

All in all, it was insanely casual, almost too much for someone who dropped to play EDH and Type 4. The metagame was thrown out the window and I had a sneaking suspicion that those who were doing well were simply the decks that had the best draws, and the kid playing the RGWu Homebrew. That deck was the nuts, even after I figured his deck sucked when he finished it up and filled out the deck list at my table.

BTW, anyone who went, I was one of the people who wanted their bailout. You're welcome for our presence.
kaamos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be, that WoTC's advertizing of the game, through the Xbox live game, created such a large induction of new players, that the big tournaments are going to be saturated with Tier 2 decks?

Possibly..

RDW still losing though, damn.
Maver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think djinn's ability costs 2uu ;[ not exactly free
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaamos wrote:
Could it be, that WoTC's advertizing of the game, through the Xbox live game, created such a large induction of new players, that the big tournaments are going to be saturated with Tier 2 decks?

Possibly..

RDW still losing though, damn.

It's funny, RDW woulda been much better had the tournament been all Jund and Boros. Still, 6-2 is nothing to sneeze at and looks like it came down to margins. A topdecked burn-spell vs. either Baneslayer woulda ended the game.

Really, Baneslayer is far from gave over to RDW; turn 5 is late and mana producers die. Also, any two burn-spells other than double Burst kills her.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn spells against Baneslayer Angel is fine, but I feel that stealing it or making it unable to block is better use of Lightning Bolt and Burst Lightning. I have had more success with the latter.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sadly i think wizards learned there lesson from kami block, players prefer power to skill for the most part, we got like 16 man ptqs in the uk for kami block lol.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jund doesn't require much skill. I lost to jund in the last trial I played here. The guy was terrible and kept using his terminates and lightning bolts at the wrong time and targets but he played 2 blightnings and cascaded into anotther g1 and g2 topdecked 2 bloodbraids in a row when the game was in my favor to completly turn it the other way around.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSNACKSx wrote:
How is your friend keeping a noble hierarch he found on the ground a funny story? What a scumbag.

Judges would have just kept it themselves.

I turned in some cards I found a while back and the judges just kept them. Best card in that stack was a Roil Elemental, the only rare.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cascade is dumb, yes.

But without it, we'd have nothing but Baneslayer.dec everywhere. You'd either have 4 Baneslayers or you would be unable to play standard.

This is the primary reason I think Baneslayer won't be reprinted, it is completely warping the metagame around itself.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
and they'll print a new mythic "baneslayer" in 11th that will cause the same frenzy of sales that sees local shops sell out of m10 for weeks at a time.

that sounds like the perfect warp to me

Of course. We all know the M10 dual lands won't be coming back. They'll print the filter lands, or bring back pain lands - anything to drive sales of new product.

Keeping BSA around doesn't drive sales once everyone gives in and gets 4 because it defines the meta once Jund rotates out.

I'm sure they'll print some kind of uber mythic vampire or elf to power up those decks which are highly popular from a "flavor" perspective.
Merlknight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Texas states, all I saw was jund Sad.

Out of the 6 rounds I played I saw 4, and split it 2-2 with 4c"Bears".

Baneslayers stomped me round 1 and 6, then I dropped Sad.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2