Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRB Stompy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: GRB Stompy Reply with quote

Updated:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [CFX] Ancient Ziggurat
4 [ZEN] Teetering Peaks
4 [M10] Swamp (1)
4 [M10] Forest (1)
3 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [ZEN] Vampire Lacerator
4 [ZEN] Scythe Tiger
4 [M10] Jackal Familiar
3 [ZEN] Guul Draz Vampire
3 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
2 [CFX] Kederekt Parasite
2 [ZEN] River Boa

// Spells
4 [M10] Giant Growth
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
3 [ZEN] Cobratrap does not belong in here
3 [ZEN] Quest for the Gravelord sucks

Edits later.^

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] River Boa
SB: 4 [M10] Great Sable Stag
SB: 2 [ARB] Vithian Renegades
SB: 3 [ALA] Naturalize
SB: 4 [M10] Pithing Needle

* An analysis of your anticipated metagame
I figure, vs Jund, I expect to have to chump block with half of my stuff, but overall will kill their creatures blocking and at the same time be dealing enough damage to out speed my opponent, blightening will make it tough though. Vs RDW its a speed race again, but, without the ability to hit me on the ground, the deck would need to be burn heavy to hit through the weenies. Against naya I would probably outspeed it again, naya has efficient creatures like jund but plays -more- and smaller costing creatures, so it would take longer but I believe the win would be mine. The worst matchups are RDW and UW control because of wrath.

* Testing Results inc

Stompy is an idea that has been around forever, however, with the current availability of weenies, I believe it was necessary to extend the decks colors abroad. In spite of this, some of these cards are sexy, Im excited to see what removal says to scythe Tiger in matchups.

If you dont think Stompy works look up the history of stompy in other formats, it could* work great, but, in extended you have ideal choices at hand.

Yes I have considered Bushwacker.

Last edited by kaamos on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and skathe, before you open your mouth, Stompy has been known to run as low as 9 lands. This is a 3 color deck, thank Wotc for Ancient Ziggurat <3
PenguinSlave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

collosal might?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know who you're trying to usurp by saying stompy has run 9 lands in the past, but this deck CLEARLY needs more lands. 19 lands, with 4 coming into play tapped with NEVER win you nearly ANY magic the gathering games in this format. You need at LEAST 21 lands, and I think this deck needs around 22 with scute mob and activations like River boa and bone saw.

This deck would lose to Jund on a consistent basis because it is inconsistent. The strategy is all over the place.
Thanik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
I dont know who you're trying to usurp by saying stompy has run 9 lands in the past, but this deck CLEARLY needs more lands. 19 lands, with 4 coming into play tapped with NEVER win you nearly ANY magic the gathering games in this format. You need at LEAST 21 lands, and I think this deck needs around 22 with scute mob and activations like River boa and bone saw.

This deck would lose to Jund on a consistent basis because it is inconsistent. The strategy is all over the place.

Usually I would disagree with this since his curve stops at 2, but this deck looks like a mess.

Peaks don't belong in this, boas don't belong in this, and trying to run 17 lands when you are playing three colors is way out there.
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pwn ur deck.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like critter-based decks, and I'm a big fan of the old stompy decks, but critters nowadays lack the OOMPH of the previous decks (particulary rogue elephant, fallow wurm and elvish spirit guide... plus landgrant for the power).

That said, a three colour stompy wouldn't be too relaible without the fetchlands getting shocklands (like Zoo). Although Ancient Zig DOES help you power out your critters, the rest of the manabase wouldn't be too nice. And Scute Mob? In a stompy deck? You ALWAYS have less than 4 lands (if you drew more, you were mana flooded, you're screwed). Try a GR or GB version of this, not three colours. With GR, you can go Scythe Tiger, Goblin Guide, Hellspark Elemental. With GB, you have disruption, rotting rats (with unearth goodies).

And again, with white, you have Elite Vanguards, etc.
skittles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe remove Scute Mob and replace with Llanowar elves? Then replace Giant Growth and/or Bone Saw with Vines of Vastwood.

I just don't see much point in Scute Mob, usually ever, but especially in a stompy.

Scythe Tiger seems really risky in a deck like this, don't you think? Replace it with Bloodhall Ooze.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and don't use harrow. With Ancient zigg out, you probably won't be able to cast it. Scythe tiger works great with Oran Rief... 4/3 shroud is pretty deadly.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Skathe comments on how bad this deck is
Insom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything this deck does better than boros?
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have now way of playing goblin guide turn 1 but ancient ziggurat, I could ask if you tested the deck but I think an even better question would be did you even think that hard about how the deck would work before posting it?
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok to start, this rough draft was something of a recreation of a mono green deck, I tried to use the same sort of list an extended mono green stompy played by Nicolai Herzog looked like.

Runs the same amount of lands, creatures, the equipment was sort of like a weak version of rancor (pulling it, not nearly as good)

And I agree with release all ziggurat, I cant play harrow most of the time, but I wanted to match cards that found lands (like land grant in the other deck) I figured on the chance that i ended up with lotus/harrow i'd end up with alot of any color mana and would empty the hand. (but then again, zigg + 2-3 lands + harrow = empty hand already)

I put oran into my first build, but its not good enough in a tri colored deck, now teetering peaks is supporting only one hasted creature, a creature that cannot attack alone, and a lightening bolt~ i considered the circumstances and thought it was more for playing cards on the second turn, that and I feel it brings more power to the second and third turn~ as a land, but we'll see on that one, it fits the red where the fetchland in these colors cant reach, so I dont have to worry about having less of a land that can be fetched.

Scute mob.. meh, its a cool 1 casting cost creature, who knows if you get overmana'd, at least you'd have one, but overall I agree about Scute mob..

River boa seems to be in all of the extended decks, probably because blue is the control/combo decks in extended, so I felt that as a stompy deck it should be in there, and hey it has regen.

Scythe Tiger is the same as Rogue Elephant, except it has shroud. Necessary with all of the removal imo.

I really couldnt replace spirit guide or land grant, so Im free for suggestions.

The instants are roughly the same numerically, so we could trade out scute mob for more growth/bolt and maybe collosal might for tramplin, or vastwood for instant shroud.

I know bonesaw needs to come out, I was thinking maybe an ascension, with all the two power creatures, maybe bloodchief, but more likely I think quest for pure flame or gravelord.

What do you guys think of Cobra Trap in here?
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [CFX] Ancient Ziggurat
4 [ZEN] Teetering Peaks
4 [M10] Swamp (1)
4 [M10] Forest (1)
3 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [ZEN] Vampire Lacerator
4 [ZEN] Scythe Tiger
4 [M10] Jackal Familiar
3 [ZEN] Guul Draz Vampire
3 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
2 [CFX] Kederekt Parasite
2 [ZEN] River Boa

// Spells
4 [M10] Giant Growth
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
3 [ZEN] Cobra Trap
3 [ZEN] Quest for the Gravelord

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] River Boa
SB: 4 [M10] Great Sable Stag
SB: 2 [ARB] Vithian Renegades
SB: 3 [ALA] Naturalize
SB: 4 [M10] Pithing Needle
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to mention, "Spreadem" tech would fuck this deck up.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2