Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you really have what it takes to be good at Magic?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
SJM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my friends I used to play with back in the day agree that we are all better players now that we are older. We're just more calm and focused than we were as hormonal teenagers (ROID RAGE).

The way I feel about the game is totally different than when I was younger. Back then it was something I put a lot of my personal energy into because I had nothing else to channel energy into other than school. The funny part is even if I had qualified back then I wouldn't have been able to go due to lack of funds. That's one reason I tended to go 7-0 at regionals then concede to my 8th round opponent in exchange for "certain favors."

These days I have a career going and plenty of cash to fund trips to grand prix tournaments and so forth. So now I'd really like to qualify and go to a pro tour just to see how it is. I have a lot less time to play test and so forth, though.

Playing during the Magic Online beta really raised my game to a higher level. I was playing constantly and I got really good at Ody block limited. I think if I really want to qualify in M11 or World Wake limited during the next limited Grand Prix season, I will have to put some money into playing on modo. At the moment I am planning to go to Grand Prix:
Baltimore
Nashville
Toronto
Portland
Maybe Florence or Sydney (as a vacation, Magic wouldn't be the main reason to go)

So for me, it's a question of how much money I want to spend building my skills in the current format more than anything else. I like the competition, I like winning, I like winning prizes, and I'd like to qualify and play at a high level. But for me it's definitely about having fun more than anything else right now.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2