Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jacerator by Joel Calafel (the Swans Assult Guy)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Jacerator by Joel Calafel (the Swans Assult Guy) Reply with quote

This guy is known for making decks that completely sideswipe the competition in Standard, partially because because the metagame is focused in a very different direction.

So with everyone else's game transfixed around Jund or anti-Jund, he came up with the Jacerator, and is/has been destroying them...

Quote:
// Lands
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress
4 [ZEN] Kabira Crossroads
10 [ZEN] Island (7)
6 [ZEN] Plains (6)

// Spells
4 [M10] Safe Passage
4 [DDC] Angelsong
2 [ZEN] Sunspring Expedition
4 [B] Howling Mine
4 [M10] Time Warp
4 [M10] Flashfreeze
2 [ZEN] Archive Trap
3 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
1 [CFX] Path to Exile
4 [CFX] Font of Mythos
4 [DD2] Jace Beleren

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Sunspring Expedition
SB: 4 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
SB: 3 [M10] Negate
SB: 2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 1 [ALA] Tezzeret the Seeker
SB: 2 [ARB] Wall of Denial
SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle

So...
A) What exactly is this deck weak to right now?
B) What kind of hate exists for this?
C) Is it really as good as the hype?

From what I can see...
A) The 2 combos that I know of that have a shot are UB unearth and UWB artifacts running Open the Vaults. Valakut Combo has a shot, too, I guess.
B) As of now, nobody is really playing this yet, so there is no hate for it, yet.
C) ??? Only time will tell. But it definitely looks like the right deck to play for the pro tour in Rome. So it looks to be the right deck to play till people figure out how to hate against it...
kaamos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mono Red/Sligh would fuck it up >Razz
coolcreep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A deck like this usually folds to control, but there are no legit control decks in the format right now. Once people start playing islands again, this deck will die off.
Epic-Juzam37

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all any of the decks that were at worlds need to do to compete with that deck are...sideboard more burn or play more of it, that decks counters arent enough and flashfreezes in the main is a dead card vs a lot of decks...its not even that good vs jund
OldBear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also has expedition and safe passage for against burn. Not to mention Baneslayer angel in the side whats burn gonna do about that.
Mitchmachine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deck dies to ajani vengeant
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchMachine wrote:

Because it can't get rid of it? Nice call.
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchMachine wrote:

Pithing Needle, Negate, Flashfreeze.
plowerfower
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made T4 in the master with it. Only loss was to the mirror in swiss rounds and RDW in semi finals.

Round 1 - Bye
Round 2 - Bye
Round 3 - Ajani Control - Won G1 (He resolved and blew up ajani, but still couldnt race mine and font. Boarded wrong game 3 and ended up loses to felidar :/ Drew out on g3 but I had all the tools to win.
Round 4 - Es Una Trappa!!! Win
Round 5 - Mirror Lost 0-2, made some bad plays
Round 6 - Naya 2-0 Win
Round 7 - W/g 2-0 Win
Round 8 - Jund 2-0 Win
Quarter Finals - Jund Win 2-1
Semi Finals RDW Lose 0-2

Its a fun deck, Ajani can hurt, but unless you get off to a bad start, it is often the only target you need to flashfreeze in those matches. Jund can be hard if they charge out of the gates with a bunch of pulses and blightnings. Play around the pulse by diversifying your board if you dont have the flashfreeze for it.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it might possibly have a bad matchup to a deck that is rarely played, but tormods crypt is by no means a "kill card". It seems much more likely that RDW and Boros will rape the shit out of this deck. (kinda like plowerfower suggested imo)
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as how you *can't* pithing needle a Crypt, you'd have to pithing needle one of the unearth cards instead. (Crypt's second ability is a mana ability.)

I think Elfdrazi deck would eat this one for lunch perhaps... Though the turbofogging might hold on long enough to mill it.

Runeflare Trap combo deck loves this deck, as well. More Fonts? Don't mind if I do! Smile Need to have a counter in hand for it, which would be flashfreeze or negate. It's not an auto-lose, since you're drawing so many cards, but it is probably scary.
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pithing needle can also target extractor demon.

Open the vaults might be nice to run 2 of in a variant of this deck... with a couple of steel wind sphinxes and inkwell leviathans for fun. Working on a deck based on this.

I don't think boros and eldrazi decks do that well against this deck... they do better than most game 1, but not great 2 and 3. If you side correctly.
SchwipSchwap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacerator by Joel Calafel (the Swans Assult Guy) Reply with quote

loki3 wrote:
This guy is known for making decks that completely sideswipe the competition in Standard, partially because because the metagame is focused in a very different direction.

If I remember correctly it was PV who initially created Swans Assault for GP: Barcelona.
KrabShit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conley Woods' magical christmas land deck owns it
OldBear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They worked on it together they both play ml.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2