Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you side vs boros?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
CloaknDagger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: How do you side vs boros? Reply with quote

What's better against them, cheap spot removal, or fogs effects?

I can see huge advantages to both, and huge disadvantages to both. Maybe 3 of one and 3 of the other?

Thoughts.
Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seismic Shudder!
MaksymGryn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although fog effects initially seem very powerful vs boros in reality they are sub par. The deck, (at least the version in worlds if I am not mistaken) runs 24 lands and a full 12 fetchlands meaning that they will likely not run out of land gas so fogging one turn of land wall will likely not really but a big damper into their plans.

Furthermore, the idea of fogging the goblin bushwacker turn seems ok except when you take into account that if your opponent has 6-7 mana you always have to hold the fog since a ranger of the top will come crashing in for 9 out of nowhere for just 7 mana or 6 if they only have 6 mana. Fogs also naturally generate card disadvantage, whereas bushwacker has a strong suit of card advantage in ranger, and recycling of lands with kor skyfisher.

All in all removal is your best bet aside from seismic shudder but noone will realistically play it. Pyroclasms in sb will help but again not very good against the rest of the meta game (except with some outside use against mono green and green/red decks).

Turbofog (real name jacerator as named by Joel Calafell) obviously prefers fogs but it is maindecking them and the strategy works because you can essentially draw 1 every turn or close enough and with all the card draw the card disadvantage is non consequential.

Some decks like to board in wall of denial and deft duelist vs boros. Very difficult to handle as anything except a geopede or a lynx cannot attack into a deft duelist profitably, and if you get 2 duelists out then boros will oftentimes cry on the inside go on tilt and misplay.

Lots of options depending on deck

TL, DR: let us know deck type and we can recommend appropriate sideboard, otherwise read above for some vague ideas.
kaamos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody design a form of Runeflare combo with Fogs in it? It draws like crazy anyway, it could hold off aggresive decks AND perform the combo easily, it would just have to be.... 4 color? lol
loki3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kaamos:

You probably want to run:

3-4 Wraths
8 Fogs
4 Font of Mythos
4 Runeflare Traps

But without more card draw, you can't be sure to get the fogs...

You have 3 options that I see:

1) You go UW, you add more card draw... you kinda become the Jacerator and drop Runeflare Trap.
2) You add tons of removal and tons of plainswalkers.
3) You might just want to make a foggy Valakut Combo.

Here's my first random attempt for you (running 11 fogs and no removal, so it is still a little shady, but it is about staying alive and combo-ing off.):

RGW Foggy Valakut

// Lands
2 [ZEN] Forest (1)
4 [ZEN] Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 [HOP] Terramorphic Expanse
3 [ALA] Naya Panorama
10 [ZEN] Mountain (1)
2 [M10] Plains (2)

// Spells
4 [HOP] Rampant Growth
4 [ZEN] Khalni Heart Expedition
4 [ZEN] Harrow
4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
4 [M10] Fog
4 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
4 [CFX] Font of Mythos
4 [ALA] Angelsong
3 [M10] Safe Passage

// Sideboard (not cut down yet)
SB: 4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
SB: 3 [M10] Chandra Nalaar
SB: 4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning

Might need DoJ. Yet to be tested. Just pulled this outta my arse.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LolGerryT
CloaknDagger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing a blue/white creature deck, with 4 deft duelist main. I was never in a position where deft duelist was any good vs the deck. Even at 0/1 the lynx pumps to a 3 toughness with a land, as does genopede. It isn't an answer to the deck. If I"m sporting a moderate amount of creatures, do you think fog affects would suffice?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1