Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn 4 kill from the grave!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Is this a viable deck in the current metagame?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

Pillsburry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Turn 4 kill from the grave! Reply with quote

First of all this is my friend's deck (Atreties), he took the idea from the japanese player of the year Shouta Yasooka.

The only difference this build has is Tome Scour instead of Traumatize and -1 Swamp, +1 Fatestitcher.

That change in the build makes a huge difference, the kill is faster by 1-2 turns.

This deck is very cheap to build irl.

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Crypt of Agadeem
4 [M10] Drowned Catacomb
4 [ZEN] Island (2)
2 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
2 [ZEN] Swamp

// Creatures
4 [ARB] Architects of Will
3 [ALA] Corpse Connoisseur
4 [CFX] Extractor Demon
3 [ALA] Fatestitcher
4 [ZEN] Hedron Crab
2 [ALA] Kederekt Leviathan
4 [ARB] Monstrous Carabid
4 [CFX] Rotting Rats
4 [ALA] Viscera Dragger

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
4 [M10] Tome Scour

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M10] Duress (vs Grave hate)
SB: 4 [ALA] Infest (vs Boros)
SB: 3 [M10] Essence Scatter (vs Goblin Ruinblaster )
SB: 4 [M10] Negate (vs Grave hate)

Usually wins on turn 5-6. Can win on turn 4 with nut draw.
The deck plays chump block creatures to survive until it goes off.

Here's a turn 4 win.

T1 Island, Crab.
T2 Swamp (mill self for 3), double cycle with Carabid and Architects EOT.
T3 Crypt (mill self), Tome scour self. Cycle another carabid.
T4 Swamp (mill self). Tap all but island for 12B. Unearth 2 Rotting rats, discarding fatestitcher and demon. Triple cycle vicera dragger. Unearth fatestitcher, untap crypt, produce 15 mana , Unearth 2 Demons, unearth 4 draggers, swing for game.
That was KIND of a nut draw, but getting this on turn 5 is not uncommoned, turn 6 is very common.

Boros seeing less and less play with the rise of Elves lately, I think this is a good thing for this deck considering Boros is a bad matchup for this.

One thing about this deck though, it is very difficult to play, they'res alot of counting involved, its a deck that will make you think alot. And if the hate starts coming, it will be even harder to play Wink
Mr_Eko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interesting, this is worth a shot at the very least. I would love to playtest with you...hit me up in Mirc.

The only Problem I see is that you must have the crypt. so if you do not get 1 of those 4 cards. you cant win Sad
rafaruggi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are too many fatestitchers, its not that good until the turn of the "combo", and you can tutor him with corpse conoisseur...

Traumatize really helps in the milling. I'm running 2 of them and just 1 fatestitcher. Been testing this archetype like for one week, it looks good, but its really hard to keep a hand without Crypt or Grim Discovery cause you completely rely on them to win. I thought about Expedition Map but I just dont know what to remove from the deck.
EMA

Eheh I had been testing this since a random guy some time ago played it vs me on mws. Turn 4 kill is theoretically possible, in practice even pulling a turn 5 is nearly impossible: the problem is that u can't control and predict what the tome scour will mill.
Yasooka by adding traumatize added consistency to the deck, with his build u are fairly certain of going off turn 6, which is too slow anyway I believe.
Tao

Expedition Map can fetch up Crypt of Agadeem, if having one in play is that vital to winning. Though, I'm not really sure wasting two turns or three mana to get a Crypt into play is too slow or not.
Pillsburry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Eko wrote:
Very Interesting, this is worth a shot at the very least. I would love to playtest with you...hit me up in Mirc.

The only Problem I see is that you must have the crypt. so if you do not get 1 of those 4 cards. you cant win Sad

Grim Recovery
Pillsburry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafaruggi wrote:
I think there are too many fatestitchers, its not that good until the turn of the "combo", and you can tutor him with corpse conoisseur...

Traumatize really helps in the milling. I'm running 2 of them and just 1 fatestitcher. Been testing this archetype like for one week, it looks good, but its really hard to keep a hand without Crypt or Grim Discovery cause you completely rely on them to win. I thought about Expedition Map but I just dont know what to remove from the deck.

Sometimes I use Fatestitcher to tap my opponent's creature to attack for lethal that I could not have done without tapping his creature.

If only Archive Trap or Mind Funeral was "target player" we would have a fast deck here Smile
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grim Recovery gets a Crypt back from the graveyard, which does not entail you running "extra" copies of it. Try again.
BlackPen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when he has so many cyclers and gets much of his library in his graveyard it shouldn't be too hard to draw a crypt or grim discovery one back from the grave.
MaksymGryn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although your ideal draw is cool it is very specific in the cards you have to hit and the order, using the same logic...

turn 1 plains. steppe lynx,

turn 2 arid mesa->mountain-> attack for 4. plated geopede,

turn 3 play a steppe lynx, arid mesa-> mountain -> goblin bushwacker with kicker, attack for 18

That is a turn 3 using the same ideal draw example, also works with turn 1 goblin guide turn 2 geopede turn 3 lynx bushwacker, doing exactly 20 points of dmg by turn 3.
ncgeniusbrad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the original list from yasooka?
Pillsburry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncgeniusbrad wrote:
where is the original list from yasooka?

His exact list is:

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Crypt of Agadeem
4 [M10] Drowned Catacomb
4 [ZEN] Island (2)
2 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
3 [ZEN] Swamp (3)

// Creatures
4 [ARB] Architects of Will
3 [ALA] Corpse Connoisseur
4 [CFX] Extractor Demon
2 [ALA] Fatestitcher
4 [ZEN] Hedron Crab
2 [ALA] Kederekt Leviathan
4 [ARB] Monstrous Carabid
4 [CFX] Rotting Rats
4 [ALA] Viscera Dragger

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
4 [M10] Traumatize

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M10] Duress
SB: 4 [ALA] Infest
SB: 4 [M10] Deathmark
SB: 3 [M10] Negate
HujuVanikil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this:

urn 1 plains. steppe lynx,

turn 3 ,misty rain forest-> forest -> harrow-> swing for 17

hmm maybe i should use steppe lynx more..
Pillsburry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HujuVanikil wrote:
Or this:

urn 1 plains. steppe lynx,

turn 3 ,misty rain forest-> forest -> harrow-> swing for 17

hmm maybe i should use steppe lynx more..

in response... bolt ? -_-'

They'res a big difference, they'res about 10 cards or more in T2 that can kill lynx that is played right now, and they'res about 2 card that can empty my graveyard that is played right now to stop what i'm doing (Jund Charm / Relic). No counters or board removal can stop the mechanism of unearth.
HujuVanikil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right there's a big difference because hedron crab is immune to bolt and is certainly not going to be hit by any other removal as well >_>........
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3