Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UR Runeflare combo deck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deck is legit and its existence will drive many archetypes out of the meta.

I haven't played it but I'd be interested to see how sleep works out. I guess you could sleep and skip a turn if you have 6 land out. Against slower, fatter creature based decks it would buy you a turn I suppose.

Sideboard seems kinda random towards the end.

More whiplash traps and volcanic fallout in the board.

I think whiplash trap is really good right now with everyone cascading and throwing down 1 and 2 CC vampires.

Last edited by SJM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikooo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty good deck :O

Didn't seem like it could handle a series of Blightning/Pulse when I played against it though.
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikooo wrote:
It's a pretty good deck :O

Didn't seem like it could handle a series of Blightning/Pulse when I played against it though.

That's why I'm playing blightning jund. It has the tools to handle just about any random deck you throw at it. Board in 4 duresses and board up to 4 pulses and I think it'll cascade into gg a ton.
svenihilator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Haven't faced an aggro deck that was faster... yet. Have obvious problems with Maelstrom Pulse, though.

It's not about aggro being faster per se, it's about them having the capability to empty their hand's fast enough that your runeflares don't do enough damage fast enough.
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBring3r wrote:
SniperMayer wrote:
You say turn 4 wins. But how? Font costs 4. It means you tap out turn 4. :S

If you Twincast a Trap you don't win unless your opponent has 10 cards in hand.

Please explain me how can you win on turn 4?

The opponent concedes to the pure awesomeness of the deck, and commits hara-kiri afterwards.

This deck is that powerful.

Even without Scute Mob.

Think of how good it would be if it did have scute mob.
boeda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've been testing and its great so far! Won 4 in a row and only replaced unsummon for the 4th twincast from the original list.

But then I though of this..
Lets say you win game 1, opp knows the deck by now and mulls to 5. He plays his vampires/junds/soldiers fast and by the time Font hits the board he can play all of his cards easily..

Offcourse some pyroclasms and bolts can sweep his critters but he draws 3 a turn.

What do you guys think?
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boeda wrote:
Ok, I've been testing and its great so far! Won 4 in a row and only replaced unsummon for the 4th twincast from the original list.

But then I though of this..
Lets say you win game 1, opp knows the deck by now and mulls to 5. He plays his vampires/junds/soldiers fast and by the time Font hits the board he can play all of his cards easily..

Offcourse some pyroclasms and bolts can sweep his critters but he draws 3 a turn.

What do you guys think?

So they draw 3 with the font, go up to 7 cards, you trap + twincast them and they take 14.

2 bolts = dead.

I don't see a problem.
kfcman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, totally agree with SJM.

And, im pretty sure i'll high five my opponent if they opt to mull to 5.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay this deck looks so cool.

A couple of ideas the first is to add some fabricates, most probably for the unsummons or sleeps they seem unnecessary particullary sleep when you can more consistantly go turn 4 font, bolt and clasm feels like ample early game answers to aggro decks, Considering you can often beat aggro to the punch anyway. This should give the deck more resistance to decks with Pulses and the like as well as improving its consistancy.

Second is depending on meta maybe main but certainly in the board spell pierce feels stronger than negate due to the mana cost better suiting the tempo this deck like's to play at.
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would this deck fair vs Pithing Needle and Swerve from the side?
Truth-
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to needle? I just went 2-1 with this in a mini. I edited the list some.

// Lands
9 Mountain
10 Island
1 Reliquary Tower
4 Scalding Tarn

// Spells
3 Trapmaker's Snare
3 Ponder
1 Whiplash Trap
3 Twincast
3 Pyroclasm
3 Unsummon
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Font of Mythos
4 Runeflare Trap
4 Howling Mine

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Flashfreeze
SB: 2 Whiplash Trap
SB: 1 Pyroclasm
SB: 1 Unsummon
SB: 3 Negate
SB: 4 Swerve

I only lost to jund. As everyone else has stated jund is the worst match up. They attack your hand and your engine at the same time ( pulse) I think the deck might want to take a "mill" game plan for game 2. Archive Trap with your mine effects along with twincast. When playing against Jund you can bring in the swerves, Archive Traps, Flashfreezes and any other way you want to combat the deck. swerving the pulses/blightnings can be huge. With Whiplash Trap and unsummon combined with Bolt and Burst Lightning creatures generally aren't a problem.
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha_Donkey wrote:
I know it might be hard to pull something for, but Jase seems like a viable option for the deck... he dosent "trigger the trap" but he does fuel there hand, as well as help you find what you need faster, BESIDES being an alternate win condition with the howling mines and fonts.

My version that top six'ed the trial on monday ran 4 archive trap and 4 jace as an alternate win.... I would at least sb them so that you have an alternate plan of attack if you need it for some reason.
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSNACKSx wrote:
Swap unsummon for into the roil? seems more balanced as it can bounce anything and get you a card if needed.

Unsummon is good because it's 1 mana.

I don't agree with the people saying to add jace to the main.

Maybe to the side. I don't think this deck shuts down 100% of creatures, it merely tries to kill the opponent before they kill you.

Therefore, jace just dies from bolt + creatures. Jace adds nothing to the deck really.

You could side him in against some unknown deck that doesn't run creatures and is control oriented with no direct damage. I don't think that deck exists right now.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsummon and bounce in general is useful because their hand grows when you use it.

Sleep hasn't been too strong. The 4 mana is a problem. Could replace them with Into the Roil or the bounce trap.

I took out the Magosis and Towers and added basics, went to 4 Twincast 3 Unsummon.

I lost to Jund too. The pulses is a big problem. Didn't side though, so the Flashfreezes and Swerves would have helped. He mulled to 4 and won in the end, but was lucky to hit 2 pulses. Mulling is a legit strategy to stay alive long enough to actually manage to do something against this deck. 3 Duresses also won him a game - he postponed his own death long enough to win.

Other than that, my opponents have been helpless so far. Haven't faced Blightning or ultra-aggro decks (those that could empty their hands no problem).

It is important to notice that if this deck becomes popular and successful, it is relatively easy to stop once you add the tools for it. So if that happens it will disappear quite soon. But if deckbuilders lowers their guard it can always pop up again.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
12 [ALA] Island (4)
7 [ALA] Mountain (4)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
3 [M10] Pyroclasm
4 [M10] Howling Mine
4 [CFX] Font of Mythos
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [ALA] Call to Heel
2 [M10] Fabricate
4 [ZEN] Trapmaker's Snare
4 [M10] Twincast

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ALA] Swerve
SB: 4 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
SB: 4 [ZEN] Archive Trap

Decks with snake and lots of other manaproducers are a problem. The side would help, though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6