Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWB Rock

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
kfcman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: GWB Rock Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Forest (2)
4 [ZEN] Swamp (1)
4 [ZEN] Plains (2)
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
2 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
4 [M10] Sunpetal Grove
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest

// Creatures
4 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
3 [ZEN] Ob Nixilis, the Fallen

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Harrow
4 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
4 [ARE] Duress
2 [CFX] Martial Coup
3 [CFX] Path to Exile
3 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
3 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
2 [ZEN] Sorin Markov

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
SB: 4 [M10] Great Sable Stag
SB: 3 [CFX] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [ARB] Identity Crisis
SB: 4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary

Use efficient removal and accel to power out bombs. Martial coup has been pretty stellar as 7 mana is not far fetched in the early game with harrow/cobra/garruk.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

EDIT: Spelling/Typos
TwiStar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd swap Duress and Knight of the Reliquary maindeck/sb.
Also, do you think you need that much removal?
ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this list. Maybe sign in blood has a place? Just maybe though.
kfcman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, better than expected. It has pretty solid game 1 matchups against the front runners so far. The sideboarding gets awkward. Once prominent decks and sideboard strategies became relevant it will be much easier to sideboard this against other decks.

I think the duress - Knight switch would help against aggro game 1, but would hinder the control matchup game 1. Certainly a meta choice.

And yes and no. The deck is fairly slow on certain draws and needs many varying ways to remove threats. With 5 mass creature removal spells you can get more utility out of pulse and path.

and x=5+ martial coups are really really good.

garruk has been a solid contributor, doing mostly what i expected it to do.
but sorin has been much better than i first anticipated. coming down early off of mana accel and soaking up creatures and pickin up life is great. the fact that he starts with 4 and gets 2 more loyalty right off is great, as most aggro deck will try to remove planeswalkers as fast as they can, so sorin can come down, kill a guy, net you 2 life and soak up 6 on the crack back.

ob nixilis, while crazy flashy in some situations underachieves mostly. certainly the fetchland into double harrow with ob nixilis on the board are great, but, lots of the time he just sits on the board as a 3/3. He doesnt directly affect the board immediately is another reason i think he can be replaced.

I think it could stand to have a few more overall land.

Suggestions?
TwiStar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried similar deck, but i'm still don't convinced about duresses and day of judgements.

Duress is a card, that while awesome in early game, is a dead draw later. You already have 8 cards that are dead in lategame (Lotus Cobra, Harrow). And having 12 cards that are useless when you need a threat or some solution to opponent's threat is a bit too much. If you replace duresses with knight of reliquary, the card that combos so well with Ob Nixilis, Day of Judgment also seems out of place, as you have too many creatures to play 5 wrath of god. I'm playing 1 Liliana Vess, she's awesome vs any control, and not that bad vs aggro.

The remaining 2 cards are a field of test... I try many cards in that position.
Right now i'm trying World Queller, and so far results have been nice. This creature reminds me of Braids, Cabal Minion, only it's not so easily killed, and you decide, what type of permanent opponent should sacrifice. If played on t3 via cobra it can lockdown an opponent and win the game outright.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1