Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WGrb Cascade Control

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: WGrb Cascade Control Reply with quote

I've been toying around with this decklist for weeks, but have no idea what to expect when Zendikar hits. Any second opinions would be great.

1 Obelisk of Alara
4 Enlisted Wurm
4 Baneslayer Angel
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

3 Bituminous Blast
3 Ajani Vengeant
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Day of Judgement

2 Naya Charm
4 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Sprouting Thrinax

4 Jungle Shrine
4 Savage Lands
4 Sunpetal Grove
2 Exotic Orchard
4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Plains
3 Forest
1 Swamp
1 Mountain

SB:
4 Captured Sunlight
3 Thought Hemorrhage
4 Blightning
4 Great Sable Stag
ryuzaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindbreak trap>>>>>>>>>>Cascade
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't foresee one overcosted counterspell ruining any chances of cascade being competitive. Double negative is cheaper and does the same thing, and no one plays it, despite cascade being a relevant part of the metagame.
kfcman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Mindbreak trap will probably make a bigger impact in the eternal formats than in T2.

And, in T2 it will most likely be strictly a control on control card.
Varno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh double negative is my super secret tech 2 in the main (since BBE is so popular) and 2 in the board for decks like these.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Meh at Double Negative. It's cool to counter, but even cooler to outsmart the blue player (Wild Ricochet your Cryptic Command).

About the cascade thing, I was just wondering, why the use of Sprouting Thrinax? Maybe you could use other creatures better suited to that slot. I play a Cascade Naya myself, and I like how Bloodbraid/Enlisted Wurm/Captured Sunlight might cascade into Naya Charm, Path to Exile, Lightning Bolt, etc. Maybe Blightning? You are using 4 colours, after all. And maybe add Anathemancer to the side, and move the Great Sable Stags to the main. Nothing beats a 3/3 beater that's pro black AND blue (except for Path, Bolt, etc, but you get the idea).
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't foresee Anathemancer being maindeck material come Zendikar, what with everyone playing a lot more basics. Then again, theres no real defined meta yet. And Thrinax is there as a 3-drop creature, purely. If the format is slower, then Blightning could take that slot. Thrinax did see some play in block constructed as pretty much a 3-drop that has to be dealt with in some manner.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like mind break trap over double negative because its less color intense. Most decks i've seen played with blue counter magic dont combo red and blue, its usually white or black. And since the new block is suppose to go back to the basic color opposition theme blue and red are opposites ect.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps, cascading into day of judgment might not be best, i like spot removal better
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkovXII wrote:
ps, cascading into day of judgment might not be best, i like spot removal better

If the cascade card is a Enlisted Wurm, it is great, actually.
mcoghe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this deck has potential in post rotation T2
Could use some changes, but will deffenitly be one of the better decks, I guess.

grtz
-Michiel
kikooo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a deck like this will be very powerful. I'm trying to put a list together as well. Mine looks something like this for now:

4x Baneslayer Angel
3x Sprouting Thrinax
4x Bloodbraid Elf
3x Enlisted Wurm

2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
3x Pyroclasm
3x Ajani Vengeant
3x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Lightning bolt
2x Day of Judgement
3x Bituminous Blast
1x Obelisk of Alara

25 lands

Sideboard
1x Maelstrom Pulse
2x Day of Judgement
2x Luminarch Ascension
3x Thought Hemorrhage
3x Great Sable Stag
4x Blightning
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikooo wrote:
I think a deck like this will be very powerful. I'm trying to put a list together as well. Mine looks something like this for now:

4x Baneslayer Angel
3x Sprouting Thrinax
4x Bloodbraid Elf
3x Enlisted Wurm

2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
3x Pyroclasm
3x Ajani Vengeant
3x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Lightning bolt
2x Day of Judgement
3x Bituminous Blast
1x Obelisk of Alara

25 lands

Sideboard
1x Maelstrom Pulse
2x Day of Judgement
2x Luminarch Ascension
3x Thought Hemorrhage
3x Great Sable Stag
4x Blightning

I would really like to see that manabase.
Tao

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second Vedrfolner, the manabase for this deck took me at least four classes worth of time to figure out, and even then its still rather shaky. we're no longer blessed with lorwyn's insane mana fixing, you REALLY have to take a percentage tally in order to make a fine configuration. also, why are you running pyroclasm? i acknowledge the fact that you won't be playing something turns 1 or 2, but i'm not sure that pyroclasm is what i would want to play. possibly lightning bolt or even doom blade/terminate. i've been rather comfortable with letting cascade's raw power dominate the mid-late game, and playing the most versatile things i can on turn 3 (maelstrom pulse, sprouting thrinax, blightning, great sable stag). but this can all be thrown out the window if the meta messes with everything =\
prometheus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a possible manabase, without testing

3 arid mesa
3 marsh flats
1 verdant catacomb
5 plains
2 swamp
1 forest
2 mountain
4 jungle shrine
4 savage lands

I might want another mountain, but all 8 taplands make red. Ditto on forests, I'm just not sure which one you want more of. I chose mountains because of the number of red cards, but only catacombs finds green.

Sable stag out of the board is too ambitious for this manabase. It might not be necessary, depending on wether or not the vampire deck is any good (I think it won't be). You might be afraid of people running essence scatter, but that card is going to be live against you no matter what. A deck that wants to scatter will probably have some kind of removal that can get him, and I just don't see the value of playing a glorified trained armadon in this environment.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2