Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cube Sealed

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
neosystems
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Cube Sealed Reply with quote

I've finished organizing the Cube list:
http://pastebin.com/f787a51e

If you see any errors in spelling please let me know.

For those of you who want to keep the Cube a surprise as you play, the link is every card in the Cube thusfar, so don't click if you don't want to know.

A major revision will not be made until Zendikar comes out. Things on my list right now for reconsideration:

1) Possibly taking out Ravages of War and Armageddon
2) To include Power or not?

I expect a good bit of complaining/insults. Please don't give me "Tak out _____ plz iz brokin kard cuz i looz 2 it 2 much Sad", unless you can support taking the card in question out in a well-thought out reply.

So, discuss.
CHRONICBL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think ravages and armageddon need to be taken out. Ive played 8 cube matches and won them all. Ive beaten 2 decks with either one of the cards. those cards are only broken i combination with heavy early mana ramp artifacts like sol ring and what not. IMO sol ring >>>> armaggedon or ravages. Cards that I dont think are powerful enough for the cube dauthi horror, kird ape, elite vanguard etc... they just dont do enough compared to some of the other powerful cards. I think there should be more good artifact / enchantment removal. Dismantling Blow was a complete bomb for me every game I drew it. I would also like to see pithing needle it stops so many cards and would be relevant every game.
neosystems
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah right now, I don't like the idea of taking out Ravages and 'geddon myself, but people seem to hate it, so I don't know. We'll see. Cube's been out for only a couple days so it's too early too tell anyway.
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHRONICBL wrote:
I dont think ravages and armageddon need to be taken out. Ive played 8 cube matches and won them all. Ive beaten 2 decks with either one of the cards. those cards are only broken i combination with heavy early mana ramp artifacts like sol ring and what not. IMO sol ring >>>> armaggedon or ravages. Cards that I dont think are powerful enough for the cube dauthi horror, kird ape, elite vanguard etc... they just dont do enough compared to some of the other powerful cards. I think there should be more good artifact / enchantment removal. Dismantling Blow was a complete bomb for me every game I drew it. I would also like to see pithing needle it stops so many cards and would be relevant every game.

I haven't looked at the whole list yet, but I would be careful taking out some of the low mana cost beaters. Remember you want to have a balance or different archetypes you can play, not just "I play the hugest dudes" or "I counterz everythingz". It is a lot harder to go for certain archetypes however because unlike draft, you can't "go" for the types of cards you want. This is probably why most cubes are drafted, not sealed, but its a lot harder to do that online.

However I do agree there should be a higher influx of destroy enchantment/artifact (especially artifact) cards. With Artifacts taking up an equal share in the cube, you have to be able to keep them in check.

Last edited by Ffancrzy on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
JedD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morphling is quite terrible and should probably be taken out.

Curious as to why there isn't Gifts Ungiven in the cube.

Sol Ring is on the power level of actual Power 9 so you should either take it out or add those in.
neosystems
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Forget who it was who brought that up to me, but earlier today someone made the same argument about Sol Ring and Power, which is what prompted me to put it on my list.
Terminus-Est
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Nine should be fine.

Morphling, under M10 rules, is in fact, pretty horrible. Which saddens me deeply.
CHRONICBL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i dont like about the way things are currently is one player can have multiples of the same card. I dont know if there is a way to make it so that this doesnt happen. The thing I like most about our cube drafts IRL is that only 1 copy of each card is going around. Especially if we add the rest of the power in. going against 2-3 ancestral recalls or black lotuses turn 1 could get pretty annoying.
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminus-Est wrote:
Power Nine should be fine.

Morphling, under M10 rules, is in fact, pretty horrible. Which saddens me deeply.

While I agree he isn't uber powerful due to the rules changes, I used him to a good amount of success in one of my cube sealed. I don't know what other blue guy would replace him.
DrekheaD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHRONICBL wrote:
One thing i dont like about the way things are currently is one player can have multiples of the same card. I dont know if there is a way to make it so that this doesnt happen. The thing I like most about our cube drafts IRL is that only 1 copy of each card is going around. Especially if we add the rest of the power in. going against 2-3 ancestral recalls or black lotuses turn 1 could get pretty annoying.

Perhaps make the p9 and certain other uber cards like armageddon or WoG the "rares" of the cube "packs".

Edit: This is my favorite format, ever.
Spyx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ditch anurid brushhopper as it's simply terrible with m10 rules. Could replace it with mortify.
Joyfit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. is there a spoiler for mws anywhere? ^^
neosystems
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyfit wrote:
hmmm.. is there a spoiler for mws anywhere? ^^

You don't need one as you should have all of those cards in your masterbase already from other sets.
Joyfit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but i cant make a sealed in mws Very Happy
bedlam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Bravo! Reply with quote

Very nice for a first pass guys. I especially appreciate how much space you allowed for artifact mana fixing.

If you are taking suggestions for the heap of cards to slide in when some cards prove to be "unwelcome", I'd like to nominate Twisted Abomination. He has always been an MVP in our cube games.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1