Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US sabotaging efforts to reduce global warming


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Author Message
Koen



Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Posts: 336

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: US sabotaging efforts to reduce global warming Reply with quote

Quote:
What planet are you on, Mr Bush?
The Independent, 4 December 2005

More than 100,000 people took to the streets in more than 30 countries yesterday, in the first world-wide demonstration to press for action to combat global warming.

The marches - timed to put pressure on the most important international climate-change negotiations since the agreement of the Kyoto Protocol eight years ago - took place against a background of a blizzard of new research showing that the heating of the planet is seriously affecting the world sooner than the scientists predicted (see panel below).

The protests were directed primarily at President George Bush, who has been assiduously trying to sabotage the protocol and has ruled out even talking about setting targets for reducing the pollution that causes global warming, once the current targetsexpire.

Harlan Watson - the head of the US delegation to the negotiations, being held in Montreal - announced at the opening of the meeting: "The United States is opposed to any such discussions."

The US protests symbolised a major change in opinion in the United States since Hurricane Katrina, which doubled the number of people telling opinion polls that they believed global warming was an immediate threat. Another poll, carried out by the conservative Fox News, shows that more than three-quarters of Americans believe that global warming is happening and is at least partially caused by human activity, and that 60 per cent see it as a "crisis" or a "major problem".

But this has yet to make an impact on the Bush administration. Camilla Toulmin, the director of the authoritative International Institute of Environment and Development, said: "In the case of the current US administration we may have to give up ever hoping for a flicker of intelligence on climate change. The pattern of interests based on oil and gas seems too closely knit into an armour-plated defence of US plc."

The real sticking point is what happens in the future. Scientists are broadly agreed that rich countries have to reduce their emissions by a massive 80 per cent by 2050 if there is to be any hope of stopping climate change escalating out of control.

The Kyoto protocol targets, even if they are met, will reduce them by only 5.2 per cent, and everyone agrees that it barely makes a dent on the problem.

Britain says that moving forward depends on getting the US and leading developing countries such as China, India and Brazil to agree to join the battle against the climate change.

Both camps have said that they will not join any new treaty unless the other does.

But the developing countries have already taken far-reaching domestic action to cut pollution and develop renewable energy and were expressing their willingness in Montreal's corridors last week to "play their part". The big obstacle - as yesterday's demonstrators pointed out - is the White House.


Again it becomes clear Bush cares more for the well-being of the big companies who sponsor him, rather than the well being of the American people and the world. Mad
Back to top
tcook589



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been obvious that Bush has been doing that for the past 5 years of his term (for those who have paid attention). I guess our only hope as citizens of the world is to bring it to the attention of enough Americans in an attempt to keep them from allowing another administration like this to devestate Earth for another 8 years.
Back to top
Kaesh



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 376

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he shoots all these friggin hippies and ecomorons. Mad
Kyoto protocols are the worst that has happened to the well-being of humanity in the last 20 years or so. Instead of actually encouraging researching more enviromentally friendly production methods, they simply halted everything.
Back to top
Koen



Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Posts: 336

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

//\\//.

They try to reduce CO2 emissions etc, by making it cost money to emit. This automatically creates incentive to innovate.
Back to top
Kaesh



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 376

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because innovation costs money, and they don't have that money, because they spend it to be able to emit the CO2.
Back to top
Koen



Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Posts: 336

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The amount of greenhouse gasses the world puts out is a very small amount compared to the amount of greenhouse gasses nature itself releases (a la volcano's, fires, ect.).


Yes, that's true. But without industry/transportation emissions, there would be a healthy balance between emissions and absorbtion.

Like you say, rainforest destruction and industry emissions distort the balance. If the greehouse gasses would only increase with 1 percent each year, that adds up faster than you think.

The evidence that there is global warming is quite evident. Logical reasoning should also result in acknowledging that human emissions of greenhouse gasses worsen this problem. Logical conclusion is that emissions should be reduced.
Back to top
bravesirobin



Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Location: Camalot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyoto wouldn't of worked any way even if the US had signed it. the polices were not crafted to encourage buisnesses to go along with the policey. The fact is this "global warming" is a load of crock, the hole in the ozone is already predicted to close within the next 20 years. the fact is the worlds climate is know to change over the years, even if humans did try to reduce emitions our effects on the atmoshere would be minimal at best.
Back to top
Craze



Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 5676
Location: Indiana, U

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go back to my GIANT LEVEE idea....

its ingenious
Back to top
bravesirobin



Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Location: Camalot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here here!
Back to top
snoopster



Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 758
Location: nj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElvishGod wrote:
Umm...

I don't care, Global Warming is just a load of liberal propaganda shit.

Lol, funniest thing I've heard all week. You are sooo ignorant...
Back to top
snoopster



Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 758
Location: nj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElvishGod wrote:
snoopster wrote:
ElvishGod wrote:
Umm...

I don't care, Global Warming is just a load of liberal propaganda shit.

Lol, funniest thing I've heard all week. You are sooo ignorant...


You are very ignorant to not realize that this is true.

Well, considering many Republicans now recognize global warming as a threat, anyone with half a brain would realize that the only people hiding anything are those Republicans such as Bush who care more about oil and cash. The is scientific proof that global warming is occuring, so maybe you should think to yourself (there's a first for everything) that just because your parents or whoever you listen to tell you it doesn't exist, it's right there in front of you.

Oh, and by the way, nice usage of the word ignorant.
Back to top
bravesirobin



Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Location: Camalot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most republicans think that global warming is a problem eh? Realllllllly, besides the fact science doesn't agree with you and your eco doom saying friends, calling people that disagree with your opinion ignorent just doesn't help the sitution, if any thing it hurts you and your side. The only reason global warming is comming up now is b/c every one thinks all the hurricans that happened this season is a sign of global warming, thats a load of crock, historicaly the weather patterns flucuate, its not constant. Your just riding the gravy train in an attempt to subvert people with unreasarched facts. For instance enviromental groups claim the glacers are melting, when in fact many scientist have concluded in most of the world the glacers are actually increasing. Nice Drawing quidam. And intelligent design is nothing more then a different view on the development of nature/man, if you claim its so wrong give some actuall facts besides that it isn't evolution or that it was made by a chirstian.
Back to top
snoopster



Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 758
Location: nj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravesirobin wrote:
Most republicans think that global warming is a problem eh? Realllllllly, besides the fact science doesn't agree with you and your eco doom saying friends, calling people that disagree with your opinion ignorent just doesn't help the sitution, if any thing it hurts you and your side. The only reason global warming is comming up now is b/c every one thinks all the hurricans that happened this season is a sign of global warming, thats a load of crock, historicaly the weather patterns flucuate, its not constant. Your just riding the gravy train in an attempt to subvert people with unreasarched facts. For instance enviromental groups claim the glacers are melting, when in fact many scientist have concluded in most of the world the glacers are actually increasing. Nice Drawing quidam. And intelligent design is nothing more then a different view on the development of nature/man, if you claim its so wrong give some actuall facts besides that it isn't evolution or that it was made by a chirstian.

I didn't call him ignorant because he thought GW wasn't a threat, but because he didn't even think it existed.

And I mispelled 1 word and had no other grammatical errors, so I think you may need to pay attention in English a bit more, DoItFaster.
Back to top
bravesirobin



Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Location: Camalot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote/Actually, in Science, the default position is negation. The burden of proof is on the proponents of Intelligent Design--they have to substantiate it with evidence, which in turn can be shot down if it's not good enough, and the other side doesn't have to give evidence as to why it's not real./Quote

Your advocation is what caused science to be held back after the death of galileo. This debate gets much more clear if you actually try to argue the other side instead for trying to allow protcall to negate the other side. Besides you still havn't even backed up your claim that interigent design= lies. Give some evidence, you made a claim so prove it. Your belittling an theroy that just like evolution is a theroy and it doesn't mean its correct. So try to actuall add to the conversation.
Back to top
bravesirobin



Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Location: Camalot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Don't Belive intelligent design. 2. i don't care about its marrets 3. all i was doing was pointing out that dismissing an argument b/c it was "lies" was stupid and didn't add anything to this disscussion 4. If your can't see the connection between galileo, the stance of the cathloic church at the time, and the lack of scientific development that followed for a good period of time because of a overpowerfull oranization that claimed it was full of "lies" then go read a text book

i don't care to discuss this any further since i don't belive in the dam theroy so lets attempt to move back on topic
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy