Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first custom MTG Set: Jarden Saga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: My first custom MTG Set: Jarden Saga Reply with quote

Hey guys.

Over the past few weeks, I have created a custom Magic Set named Jarden Saga. I have uploaded pictures and the .txt spoiler, so everyone can view what he prefers.

I would like you to review the cards and give me some feedback on their strength and if there are some broken cards that slipped through.

Txt-spoiler:
http://rapidshare.com/files/266986562/Spoiler.txt

Full-pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.at/JCStrainer/JardenSaga#

Thanks for all your help, I hope you like my set.
sirkozi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo tri-lands are broken. Also white and blue planeswalker are too strong in comparison to black one.

Anyway nice work. Did you make pictures yourself?
CHRONICBL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lands arent spells so the refill lands as worded will not work.
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking at some random cards with the pictures, just reading a txt file is boring but actually seeing the fully rendered card is pretty neat. I'll post a few comments as I see fit.

Oblivion Priest : I love this card, very well done. I don't really get the point of all these 2/W mana symbols, but whatever....

Recuperative Boon : Nice twist on morph using aura's.

Countermand : Man, I fucking hope they print this, great card!

Shadow Robe : Once again, love these morphing auras!

Fix, the cursed : This guy is broken, not sure what sirkozi is talking about.

Blue and White Planeswalkers : Ok, having both of these dudes out has to be the most annoying thing ever. Fun if you like that kinda shit though, awful to play against.

Zombie Ritualmaster : Where'd you find that art? It's f'ing amazing.

Crazy Navigator : Totally broken, and I love it.

Red Walker : Totally broken, come on.

Ruthless Lavamancer : Woah! broken and balanced at the same time, whoot! Nicely done.

Reduplicative Treefolk : very nice card. I like the ability.

Tri-lands : They seem too powerful as they're strictly better than the ALA tri lands. Perhaps you should have to pay 1 life to tap it for the other 2 mana, I think it would still be strong enough and playable.

Enermous Trap : Perhaps this card should work while tapped and the ability have each player draw and discard a card.

Wall of Paradise : LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!

I would love to play sealed with this set sometime. I'll scout you out on IRC sometime. What times are you usually available?

Congrats, this is quite an undertaking.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grouping Zombie looks like Spawnwrithe! xD
Kryptwalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying AMAZING!!!!

ok you should be working for wotc without a doubt.

Red walker is def too strong...he is like a chandra on roids.

Deprivation and the blue walker are insane.

actually your good cards in this set, are REALLY fucking good. I like that.

Excellent job, I would love to play a tournament or use these cards on mws.
Duodax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people including me should work for Wizards (yes, i have an own set too) but why should they admit players design better cards than they do because they actually PLAY the game?

Amazing set, nuff said, but I was disappointed by the lack of multicoloured card but I,m sure we all had enough multicolor in the last 2 blocks Smile
Burton911

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many people including me should work for Wizards (yes, i have an own set too) but why should they admit players design better cards than they do because they actually PLAY the game?

Are you something like a Troll/Idiot Hybrid Dudoax, cause it seems to me that u really belive in the shit that u are talking, and that doesnt fit in the pattern of a classic Troll.
TheWatery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice, elegant set. I do however hate the Hybrid costs, really no point to it at all. A few cards need to be nerfed but alas, it's good work for a single person.
LordLink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then, so it's a set of contradictions and thats something right off the bat I'm sure a lot of players wouldn't like (including me). I'm sure you've put a lot of work into this but I've got a number of problems with the set.

Your set is incredibly colour-intensive, that naturally favours mono-colour decks and punishes 3+ colour decks. In stark contrast to this you make insanely overpowered tri-lands to try and encourage more colours. However in your determination to push the power-curve you seem to have accidently made some incredibly good land-hate. Your other problem is that the tri-lands are the only non-green fixing in the entire set.

So this is where I have to ask, is it intended as a stand-alone thing or are you designing with the rest of Magic in mind? do you have access to out-of-set fixing? and think of the damage these lands would do to older formats.

The whole sets theme seems to be "I don't want card advantage to matter". Nearly every single card in it is a functional reprint but with another card tacked on, whether through cantrips or clones or whatever and that just gets boring. Morph is better and I'll concede that you've been fairly creative with it but it still feels like its trying to keep up the whole "no card advantage" theme.

Why is Irrecoverable in your set? you have VERY few cards that care about the graveyard and it feels like a tacky excuse to pump the power curve on your commons.

Anyway, some individual cards:

Cho Manno's Master: why is a 6-mana legendary rare a simply colour hoser? Green and Red decks lose to him. Black, Blue and White decks don't give a shit about him (although if you don't take into account the rest of magic then your white can't remove him either).

Rise of the Dead: Wizards recently costed this at 5 mana, why is yours 3 with a strong ability attached? Yes your set has Irretrievable but still...

Strainer: +1 Add 2 mana -1 Make a dude... Overrun as an ultimate... now where have I seen that before...

Emil: It looks to me like you've got a beef with Chandra and tried to fix her. Although this guy doesn't present many choices. If your opponent has any non-basics in play at all (not likely in this set) then he will always shoot it. The other abilities aren't relevent as long as he can shoot land.

Nocturnal Vampire: Wasn't there a Dusk Imp reprint a few cards back? why does this guy exist?

Enermous Trap: Ok, this card sums up my problems with the set perfectly. Leyline of the Void is fun and this is an innovative reprint of it. But then you've decided its a situational card so you've tacked yet another fucking cantrip/draw onto it. It should be something like 3 mana without the draw.

There are also some things in the set I'm not sure if you're aware of, and thats the level to which some themes are pushed. Red has a huge number of land destruction cards compared to other sets, although this is mostly focused on non-basic lands, of which there are few in the set. Black also has a massive number of discard spells at both common and uncommon. Be aware of the Reduce one too, a 1 mana, toss 2 cards is pretty damn potent and could break formats like Legacy and would definately be detrimental to standard, even if its only at its best turn 1.

Random Notes:
You have 2 Islandhome creatures, you definately don't need 2.

Haste is used really unintuitively on your red guys. Putting haste on a morph is making you choose between which ability you want and while I accept that might be what you're trying to do it simply isn't fun. Same goes for Haste on the combat trick.

Finally, some good notes on the set, I love the whole clone ability. Turn 1 Forest Elves, turn 2 Cloned Forest Elves is excellent design, a lot of fun and strong in competitive. In Your Face could also be one of my favourite cards ever. Surprise Lightning Talons on an attacker all the way.
IberianWolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like morphcast, morphattach... stupid mechanic IMO. and those 2/W costs are not needed.

Diehard Giant: TOO GOOD. really, 5 mana 2/11 with vigilance? it can attack EVERY turn, and unless you opponent has an x/3, you can just keep getting damage through or killing his doods, while still having a HUGE blocker. for 5.

Glaring Mage: uh, a white wizard?

Glorious Commander: enchantment creature? ...you do know it would work the same without "enchantment" supertype, right?

Glorious Strength: now HERE the 2/W cost would be nice. WW with W duplicate or 2W with W duplicate.

Grouping Kithkin: for 2WWW you get a 4/8 vigilance lifelink and a 2/2. with duals and birds of paradise/hierarch/mana accel you can get him on turn 3 easily. and WW decks get him on turn 5, still overpowered. it's essentially:

1W | 2/2 | when ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay 1WW. if you do, put a token into play that is a 4/8 with vigilance and lifelink.

not quite this, but it illustrates how broken it is.

Life Donator: too much lifegain.

Medic Team: strictly better than soul warden?

Oblivion Priest: very nice, though the 2/W cost becomes redundant because of morph (not worth the single white splash when it costs 6).

Recuperative boon: can be used just with colorless. NOT a good idea.

Royal Archer: BROKEN. maybe should be at end of combat? it's still broken though.

Second Life: Better wording: if enchanted player's life total is 0 or less, exile second life and that player's life total becomes 20. isn't this too good, even with its cost? maybe the life should become 10?

Urgent Healing: so I'm at 10 life, and I play two of these (one in response to the other). for just WWWW, I'm at 26 <.< mono-white will love it. this destroys burn (too much IMO). maybe become a sorcery?

Wolf Pride: would be better as 1W with 1 clone cost. so 2W for both wolves, 1W for one.

about the refill mechanic, wouldn't it just be better to use kicker? because as it is, you draw the card BEFORE it resolves.

LOL @ Brain Blizzard. obvious connection is obvious.

Capitalize: kinda pointless in a blue deck, and for its cost it isn't worth it in combo either... plus the reduced cost doesn't help mono-blue that much.

Countermand... huh... http://magiccards.info/in/en/56.html maybe drop the cost by one colorless?

Creation of time: this sounds like a bad idea...

LOL @ delicate looter having a spear and being a 0/2

Dismissive Gesture: strictly better than cancel. maybe UUU with 1 colorless refill ("worse" than dismiss, still good in mono-blue, not in the rest)

Forcing Researcher: don't you think blue has enough free stuff? also, it's strictly better than those odyssey researchers.

hidden option: go necropotence/yawgmoth's bargain/greed/whatever? Smile nice idea

Imaginative Wizard: not saying it's broken, but it sounds dangerous.

Ressource Clipper: isn't this too good at milling? just look at laquatus... keep in mind that mono-colored decks WILL use these cards.

Reverse Engineering: Semi-boomerang that replicates for 1 colorless. no.

Sky Elemental: strictly better than Air Elemental. make it a 4/3 or 3/4.

Abnormal Weakening: why irrecoverable? it almost makes it strictly better than last gasp. even though it's not that much more useful.

Aboulomania: distress/coercion. nice idea Smile

Contaminated Archon: noooo, too good! make it hurt you as a cost or something, 2 life every turn is too good.

LOL @ corrosion of wisdom. mind rot on steroids. turn one mind rot for B, or even later if you've got leyline of the void. turn 1: leyline, ritual, corrosion x3. gg

Deadly Horror: you do realize a mono non-black deck can use this as sideboard hate for WG, right? not good.

Duplex Skeletons, LOOOL

Elite Assassin: hm, royal assassin + B and destroys any critter.

Evil Scuta: serpent warrior makes you lose 3. this one should make you lose 4, I think.

Hideous abomination: would be more balanced if it was when it dealt damage.

Illusory Shade: would be nicer at 1B and 2/B for the ability Smile

Rise of the Dead: too cheap.

Selective Plague: I don't think its cost works correctly... you have to target cards in graveyards as a cost? no... I think the "target" should get out of the cost.

well, enough for today. don't get me wrong, I think a lot of the cards are cool, but in some of them you went overboard. unless that was your purpose, of course.

keep at it, anyway Smile

EDIT: omg, rusty shield + goblin welder...
DistortedPer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasting silence is horribly overpowered...
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I want to thank everyone of you who gave me feedback on my set. This is really helpful, as I can really understand most of your critics and will look into fixing these issues and making the set better. I will now respond to each individual feedback.

@sirkozi: You are right, I have heard from more people that these are too good. My thoughts behind that were, that if they print Tri-lands that enter the battlefield uncommon in alara, i could make lands at this power level. I guess removing the Basic Land Type would fix some of the problems. Maybe also 3 life instead of 2.

@CHRONICBL: I knew that when I created those lands, I need to find a better wording for this, thanks for pointing out though.

@Jacois: I liked the idea of these 2/W symbols as being way more flexible than simply W. That's why I used them a lot, as it makes those cards not completely useless for multicolor decks.
The thing with paying 1 life for the other 2 mana is also a good idea, thx for that.
Thx for all your feedback on cards you like, these are the comments that motivate me. Very Happy
I will surely release this set for MWS, but I first want to finish all pictures and fix the broken cards, bad mechanics etc.

@Kryptwalker: Thanks a lot man! I don't think I would be yet ready to work at wotc, but I really enjoyed creating this set, and I expected to make mistakes, which I now try to figure out and fix.
Emil(the Red Walker) seems fine to me, the only thing that could be done is to higher the second abilities cost to -2 I guess.
Truse's (Blue Walker) second ability is now: -1: Until your next upkeep, whenever an opponent casts a spell, counter that spell and remove a loyalty counter from Truse, the Illusive.
This is far more flavorful (of "The Illusive" disappearing with using his powers)

@Rancoro51: Rise of the Dead was an overlook, I must have been insane to cost it that low Very Happy
Some card names are indeed "weak", I just didn't have the time to find better ones, as I'm first trying to fix all the cards, then add flavor, etc.

@TheWatery: Thx, maybe I will reduce the amount of hybrids.

@LordLink: You have a point with the issue of the lands and the set being monocolored. Will have to think about that again.
I tried to design it as a set that could be used with official MTG Sets, so that was my intention, yes.
I don't exactly get what you mean with "no card advantage" theme. The thing with the functional reprints is in some points true, but I always tried to add something new to these cards.
I decided to remove Irrecoverable, as it isn't a good keyword afterall.
Cho Manno's Master is Mythic, you have a point with Green and Red losing to him though. Need to think of a way to fix that.
I already commented on Rise of the Dead, it must have slipped through Very Happy
Strainer may be thought over, but I like the final ability as it is a reference to Vitalizing Wind.
Emil: I guess his third ability is quite good, so it isn't only shooting lands.
The only similar card to Nocturnal Vampire is Hungry Bat, which has morph.
Land destruction has to be reduced, I agree on that.

Thx for your whole feedback, was really helping me.

@IberianWolf: Sad that you don't like the variations on the morph ability, i really like it back in Onslaught and though of giving it a twist.
Diehard Giant: As you said, all it takes is a 3 toughness creature.
Glaring Mage: Ahem, Blinding Mage?
Glorious Commander: I think it is quite strong, making it only a creature could make it a little too strong, that way it is destroyable by all colors.
Grouping Kithkin: Will look into it.
Life Donator: I think with Wizards pushing lifegain, this guy is fine.
Medic Team: True, have to fix that.
Recuperative: That was one of the points in costing it like that, why you think it could be a problem?
Royal Archer: Needs fixing, true.
Second Life: Think 20 is fine, wording is good.
Urgent Healing: Sorcery could fix it.

Refill mechanic: Yes, you put the refill ability on the stack after announcing the spell. I don't think this is a problem.
Countermand: Well, Exclude is from Invasion, counters have been nerfed.
Creation of Time: Time Stretch?
Delicate Looter: Hm, I guess I will let it still stay that way.
Dismissive Gesture: I will make it 2/UUU
Forcing Researcher: It is part of a cycle, think it is just fine.
Ressource Clipper: I think milling has become a lot stronger since Laquatus has been printed.
Reverse Engineering: You have a point.
Sky Elemental: True
Contaminated Archon: Mana cost may become higher to fix that.
Corrision of Wisdom: Surely needs fixing.
Deadly Horror: Well, I guess with Deathmark around too it's alright.
Evil Scuta: Look at phyrexian scuta

Thx a lot for all your feedback.

@DistortedPer:
True, this really needs fixing.

Thanks again to all of you, have a nice day.
Berzerker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI the art for Dung Elemental is the same as Harbinger of Spring and the artists is Cara Mitten not Rene Fuchs.
kittykat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just one problem with the set. every card has an ability, not every card has to be useful or awesome. Its like you were trying to make every card super playable.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2