Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violent Outburst Painter's Servant Backlash Casacade Combo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Violent Outburst Painter's Servant Backlash Casacade Combo Reply with quote

Deck Name: Jund Paint
Creator: The Proverbial Mushmellow
Time Created: Last Night
Original Idea: Yes

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [M10] Gargoyle Castle
1 [DM] Swamp (3)
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [ALA] Savage Lands
4 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket
1 [EVE] Twilight Mire
2 [FUT] Graven Cairns
3 [M10] Mountain (3)
2 [ARE] Forest (Cool
1 [LRW] Vivid Crag
1 [LRW] Vivid Grove
1 [LRW] Vivid Marsh

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [M10] Great Sable Stag
4 [SHM] Painter's Servant

// Spells
4 [EVE] Chaotic Backlash
4 [CNF] Volcanic Fallout
4 [ARB] Violent Outburst
3 [ARB] Bituminous Blast
4 [SHM] Flame Javelin

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ALA] Infest
SB: 4 [5E] Manabarbs
SB: 3 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage
SB: 4 [ARB] Anathemancer

I don't have time to go in depth into the matchups now but its pretty good all around and seems like a strong metachoice at the time. Basically, play the deck a couple times. The tricks are you can instant speed flash in the servant so you can backlash the next turn (flash at eot). You can also flash in the servant and save a stag in combat or make him unblockable. The curve is nice. Maw and javelin are removal without hindering the cascade. Also eot burn for next turn backlash.

2CC: 4 [SHM] Painter's Servant
3CC: 4 [ARB] Violent Outburst
4 [M10] Great Sable Stag
4 [CNF] Volcanic Fallout
4CC: 4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
5CC: 3 [ARB] Bituminous Blast

So the probabilities for the cascade cards are:
- Violent Outburst 100% gets Painter's Servant
- Bloodbraid Elf 50% into Painter's Servant 25% into Great Sable Stag 25% into Volcanic Fallout
- Bituminous Blast (percentages here get more complicated but any math whizzes/professors want to work out the numbers here for fun that would be great)

Things to note:
-Faeries has a hard time with 4x Volcanic Fallout and 4x Great Sable Stag along with cascade cards to increase the probability of getting these hosers
-Kithkin and Merfolk have inherint trouble with 4x Chaotic Backlash main and they also don't like Volcanic Fallout
-Shriekmaw maindeck is great for dealing with Burrenton game 1 but you also have infest post board games 2/3
-I have not tested the 5 color control matchup but it seems it would help since you can instant speed ur combo into play

So far I've played several matches versus Kithkin and have not been able to test against anything else. Honor the Pure with early one drops gets a little tough so Maelstrom Pulses might be needed in the board but I'm not sure.

Other cards I considered but have not tested:
-primal command
-liliana vess
-broodmate dragon
-maelstrom pulse
-kitchen finks

Comments theories and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first original idea that's turned out to be very strong so I'm pretty happy with it. Have fun playing the deck and post match results and critique if you have them. Thanks.

Good day and happy magic playing.

Last edited by EgoWarrior on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushviper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya he has a point. I hear 5cc NEVER has lands in play...let alone lots of them.
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be best to ignore posts that disregard the rules of the game. What do you guys think of the deck? I am thinking about adding some Maelstrom Pulses in the board/maindeck to deal with a variety of problem cards notably Runed Halo, multiple Honor the Pures, tokens, etc.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba5 wrote:
preboard 5cc beats you all day long it seems.
your combo doesn't work (no perms in play for 5cc except broodmate or a few plumeviels) and they can resolve anything they want. Post board, things change quite a bit.
you can try something along the lines of:
- 4 painter
-4 fallout
-4 outburst
+4 anathemancer
+4 manabarbs
+4 hemorrhage (i guess you need another slot so make room?)
this way you control your cascade and you can really lay the burn down on 5cc. Controling your cascade is just so amazing. A similar plan vs fae might be in order, your aggro match up is good with the combo.

*giggle*
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good matchups vs fae too
FreeBird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushviper wrote:
Ya he has a point. I hear 5cc NEVER has lands in play...let alone lots of them.

QFT? <3
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really like the idea... cascade is just so strong, plus this has a built in combo in it, and it seems g1 you have at least a decent matchup if not better vs almost everything I can think of off the top of my head... 4x mancers SB vs 5cc is a must, and I agree with pulse SB
DragonKid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Bloodbraid Elf 50% into Painter's Servant 25% into Great Sable Stag 25% into Volcanic Fallout

Surely that cant be right. If your running an equal number of all cards then you have an equal cahnce of hitting them all with elf
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say run at least 1 more painter in sideboard/mainboard, in case it dies/gets killed in response...Lightning Bolt makes this a lot harder to pull off...Plus it can get hit by Doomblade too
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have multiple painter's then the 2nd one you name can be black so all your guys can block creatures with fear and can't be killed by doom blade/shriekmaw. this is a tricky play though b/c it means u can't kill with your shriekmaw either.

sorry about the percents that was a little confusing but i meant to say if you play bloodbraid elf and it does cascade then the cards it is going to hit are
4 servant
4 outburst (which always goes into servant)
4 volcanic fallout
4 great sable stag

therefore it has a 8/16 or 50% chance of cascading into servant
; a 25 % chance into fallout; and a 25% chance into stag

this of course is only if you have not drawn any of the above cards, if any of the above cards are not in your library or you know theyre on the bottom it of course changes the probabilities.

you also don't want to cut servant because you want as many as possible for the synergy with stag and the combo.

im not sure about the land base but im thinking of cutting the basics down to 3 and putting in more vivids. is theres anyone who's good with manabases that could help with this decision?

thanks.
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
I would say run at least 1 more painter in sideboard/mainboard, in case it dies/gets killed in response...Lightning Bolt makes this a lot harder to pull off...Plus it can get hit by Doomblade too

its already maxed out at 4 servant and 4 outburst? do you mean to run a one of demonic dread or something to fuctions as servant with cascade? but then its only a sorcery and that takes away some of its spifiness.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant run 2 Painter's in mainboard, and then 2 in sideboard

Basically you want to have at most 2 painters out, after that they are useless. Getting Painter is never an issue for me, its getting the chaotic backlash for the win that can be difficult.

Perhaps you could run a version of this with White, getting rid of the black, so you could run Stillmoon Cavalier, White Knight, etc. and give everything pro black, would be a more aggressive route.

Perhaps if you are playing black, run Beseech the Queen, so you can get the chaotic for the kill, or Lilana Vess
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
I meant run 2 Painter's in mainboard, and then 2 in sideboard

Basically you want to have at most 2 painters out, after that they are useless. Getting Painter is never an issue for me, its getting the chaotic backlash for the win that can be difficult.

Perhaps you could run a version of this with White, getting rid of the black, so you could run Stillmoon Cavalier, White Knight, etc. and give everything pro black, would be a more aggressive route.

Perhaps if you are playing black, run Beseech the Queen, so you can get the chaotic for the kill, or Lilana Vess

you don't need backlash to win. if you get it u win but it does not have to be the main focus. white knight messes up cascade giving this pro black is not that great the aggro like u could play merfolk idk i don't think its that strong

but ill give it a try

thanks
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBring3r wrote:
3 Auntie's Hovel
2 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Forest
4 Gilt-Leaf Palace
1 Graven Cairns
1 Mountain
3 Reflecting Pool
4 Savage Lands
1 Swamp
4 Twilight Mire

A Jund manabase is all you really need, in my opinion, maybe +1 Pool.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Also, I came up with a list for the Naya Aggro Version of the deck so I'll be starting a new thread for that one shortly. I think that version will be stronger because it has more solid creature beats and a better plan versus fast aggro decks with cascade, captured sunlight and painter coming down as an instant so your guys can block.
EgoWarrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go go go JKilla!!!

http://www.magic-league.com/deck/53329/standard_t2.html#Painter's%20Servant%20Combo13849

JundPaintMellow.dec grabs the bronze at the latest trial!!!

JKilla could you give as a couple thoughts on the deck and how it was playing it?

Thanks,
Mushmellow
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2