Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bant (ugw aggro control)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Udibagaa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: bant (ugw aggro control) Reply with quote

4 Brushland
3 Adarkar Wastes
3 Forest
2 Faerie Conclave
4 Yavimaya Coast
3 Reflecting Pool
4 Treetop Village
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 Rafiq of the Many
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Rhox War Monk
4 Jhessian Infiltrator
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Shorecrasher Mimic
2 Sower of Temptation
3 Behemoth Sledge
2 Bant Charm
3 Finest Hour
2 Negate
SB 2 Sower of Temptation
SB 2 Bant Charm
SB 2 Negate
SB 2 Path to Exile
SB 4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB 3 Guttural Response

I just started playing magic again, and am trying to build something competetive for PTQ season that is going to get completely hammered by block rotation in the fall so I don't have to buy another deck so soon. Just looking for some contructive criticism, ideas, and matchup planning (i.e. what to side in against what). Thanks in advance.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: bant (ugw aggro control) Reply with quote

Udibagaa wrote:
4 Brushland
3 Adarkar Wastes
3 Forest
2 Faerie Conclave
4 Yavimaya Coast
3 Reflecting Pool
4 Treetop Village
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 Rafiq of the Many
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Rhox War Monk
4 Jhessian Infiltrator
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Shorecrasher Mimic
2 Sower of Temptation
3 Behemoth Sledge
2 Bant Charm
3 Finest Hour
2 Negate
SB 2 Sower of Temptation
SB 2 Bant Charm
SB 2 Negate
SB 2 Path to Exile
SB 4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB 3 Guttural Response

I just started playing magic again, and am trying to build something competetive for PTQ season that is going to get completely hammered by block rotation in the fall so I don't have to buy another deck so soon. Just looking for some contructive criticism, ideas, and matchup planning (i.e. what to side in against what). Thanks in advance.

There are dozens of threads on Bant decks on this forum. I recommend reading them.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like 8 mana guys in Bant. It's really cute to have a 2nd turn Rhox War Monk every game. Things turn ugly when you run into main deck Volcanic Fallout.

-4 Birds of Paradise

Running less then four Rhox War Monk is lame. He dodges a lot of removal. The same way with Kitchen Finks. Though I have sometimes cut a Finks for something, it always went back in.

Bant Charm is very good. I would play at least 3. Running 3 Sledge is crazy. One is prob the most that I would run in the main. This is not Armidilo Cloak where 3 mana gets you +2/+2 Lifelink and Trample. It takes 6 and that's to slow for even standard.
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I missed that in my post. It needs to be a one of at the most. It's a win more card not lose less.

Someone help me understand why Bant being one of the slower aggro decks only runs like 3 removal spells. I would think that 6-8 would be needed.
metzel_usa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean 6 dmg right?
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardent Plea like most of the Cascade spells is pretty good. The GU Heritic guy is great if you are on the play.
thranarama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you, DoomBring3r, Finest Hour is garbage. It doesn't help you get back into a game that you fell behind in, it is only good if you are already even or ahead as far as board position. I've been playing Bant for a while, so I know a thing or two when it comes to what cards are important. The deck is a tempo-aggro deck, so that's what you should think about when you build it. Also, just because something is new doesn't mean it needs to be played. That's my advice, I'm gonna hold on to my own list Smile.

EDIT: Also, R3wind, Bant isn't slow if you build it right.
thranarama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone help me understand why Bant being one of the slower aggro decks only runs like 3 removal spells. I would think that 6-8 would be needed.

R3wind did. I didn't say that you said it was slow. I disagree with the statement of it being slow, which is why I said that.
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not that it is slow. I said slower as in slower then say RG...
Memo22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try white weenies. I've gotten turn-4 wins in solitaire, so they might be competitive with a good sideboard. Include oblivion ring mainboard which is an answer to almost anything except land and untargetables!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2