Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mistmeadow Witch, Reviellark, UWg 'Lark Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Socks3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Mistmeadow Witch, Reviellark, UWg 'Lark Control Reply with quote

It's something I've been working on for a while, and tossing around in MWSPlay it's got some pretty good matchups (Although, granted, average player quality there is lower). Since ARB came out, I haven't really had time to see what might need to be changed to fit the new online meta, and my sideboard is way out of date.

Now, the list.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [10E] Adarkar Wastes
1 [10E] Brushland
2 [EVE] Flooded Grove
1 [ALA] Forest (1)
3 [ALA] Island (1)
3 [SHM] Mystic Gate
4 [ALA] Seaside Citadel
2 [LRW] Vivid Creek
1 [SHM] Wooded Bastion
1 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
4 [TE] Reflecting Pool

// Creatures
4 [EVE] Bloom Tender
3 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage
4 [SHM] Mistmeadow Witch
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [MOR] Reveillark
2 [10E] Seedborn Muse
2 [LRW] Sower of Temptation

// Spells
3 [CFX] Path to Exile
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [10E] Mind Stone
2 [10E] Remove Soul

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage
SB: 3 [CFX] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [SHM] Guttural Response
SB: 4 [CFX] Wall of Reverence
SB: 4 [10E] Wrath of God

It works pretty simply once you get the basis - Mistmeadow Witch helps with protection from removal, and the Bloom Tenders make it remarkably easy to activate. The mana base works well IMO, though suggestions for it would be much appreciated.

Card choices:

Bloom Tender - Accelerates into my 5CC spells and activates the Witch with ease. Also, becomes an early target for removal that, if removed, can be easily replaced without too much harm.

Archmage - Blinking it allows for just insane advantage over other control decks, and any deck that runs a number of noncreature spells. Plus, a 2/2 flyer that can be reanimated with the Lark.

Mistmeadow Witch - Great card. Use it to generate card advantage by Blinking Mulldrifter causes even more card advantage than Jace, though at a cost, and Blinking a Reviellark after it attacks is scary. ONe of the decks MVP's

Mulldrifter - Blink it for +2 cards, run it as a 2/2 Flyer, and reanimate with Lark. Good deal in my opinion.

Reviellark - Right. Blink it. They kill a guy? Blink it again... You get the idea. One of the deck's MVPs.

Seedborn Muse - Create a softlock where holding countermana isn't an issue, and blinking mana is easier to hold, and attacking becomes easier, because of pseudo vigilance. Drawing it early is no good, but 2 of works for me.

Sower of Temptation - When in doubt, take a threat. Then blink the Sower if something else you need to take comes up. Even without the blink, the advantage is tangible. Haven't regretted it main, though that doesn't mean too much.

Path to Exile - My current removal of choice. The drawback isn't so bad when the games get drawn out as long as they do, IMO. Also, being able to take out cards not in the combat situation makes it better than Condemn for me. Instant speed has been a must, too, as well as the RFG.

Cryptic - Do I need to explain the 4x in a deck that can support it easily on turn 4?

Mind Stone - Getting out Lark on turn 4 can be pretty nice. I've not been disappointed with it, and turning it into a card when I'm done with it is pretty nice too.

Remove Soul - Resolved creatures are much more of a problem for me. So it's what I chose.

The sideboard, as I said, is outdated.

Really, I'm looking for any constructive criticism. I'm still a little scared posting this, what with the number of trolls in action. Also, I advise you try out the deck some yourself - it's got a lot of power, and has some pretty sick draws.

Any ideas (As in, ideas) would be appreciated.
Mirage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? No Noble Hierarch?
totolcc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD or SB some meddling mage's... i play this deck as esper not as bant, so i play SB or as i did before cauldron haze md.. since every1 plays pyroclasms i would cauldron haze to use it in my advantage... and gravedigger+lark is a great combo...

Since u'r running green... i would recomend a singleton overrun as a great finisher... oh and yeah sunce g/w is part of ur deck against burn decks and blightining aggro, i would use behemoth sledge as sb too
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove Soul should be Broken Ambitions. Try to up the count to 3-4. Seedborn Muse is meh. I know that it works in this build. I would just cut it to one in your deck as you don't have any creatures with flash.

Bloom Tender is not a good or bad idea. If you are going to use Bloom Tender though, you need to max out the colors that you can get from him. If you are not going to max out Bloom Tender then you should swap it for Noble Hierarch. A bit of Exalted would speed up your clock by a full turn.

Figure of Destiny plays great with both Bloom Tender and Lark. The "blade bears" would give you three colors at once. The one that gets shroud would be the best. Deft Dualist is over looked and under played. Meddling Mage is def needed on the sideboard as you can name Volcanic Fallout.

Shroud creatures give you an edge in the control mirror. Set Meddling Mage to Volcanic Fallout. Counter anything that gets pointed at him. Play shroud guys to force their Infest or Wrath of God and counter that should be good for the win.
Socks3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage wrote:
Really? No Noble Hierarch?

Hierarch is a good idea, how's -4 Mind Stone +4 Hierarch? I'll test that for now.

totolcc wrote:
MD or SB some meddling mage's... i play this deck as esper not as bant, so i play SB or as i did before cauldron haze md.. since every1 plays pyroclasms i would cauldron haze to use it in my advantage... and gravedigger+lark is a great combo...

Since u'r running green... i would recomend a singleton overrun as a great finisher... oh and yeah sunce g/w is part of ur deck against burn decks and blightining aggro, i would use behemoth sledge as sb too

I think the Mage belongs in the sideboard.

And over cauldron haze, might Mark of Asylum be a good choice? Enchantment hate is still pretty strong in the wake of Swans, though.

Gravedigger would be pretty nice, but other than that, I don't see too much advantage of going UWb over UWg, to be honest. Examples would be appreciated.

A single Overrun seems like a bit of overkill, in my opinion, since I've got a pretty good late game and don't need to kill them on the spot very often, making that one Overrun clog up my hands when I don't need it, and not being seen when I do. Feel free to make me think otherwise - it might need testing.

Behemoth Sledge in SB makes sense. In it goes.

R3wind wrote:
Remove Soul should be Broken Ambitions. Try to up the count to 3-4. Seedborn Muse is meh. I know that it works in this build. I would just cut it to one in your deck as you don't have any creatures with flash.

Bloom Tender is not a good or bad idea. If you are going to use Bloom Tender though, you need to max out the colors that you can get from him. If you are not going to max out Bloom Tender then you should swap it for Noble Hierarch. A bit of Exalted would speed up your clock by a full turn.

Figure of Destiny plays great with both Bloom Tender and Lark. The "blade bears" would give you three colors at once. The one that gets shroud would be the best. Deft Dualist is over looked and under played. Meddling Mage is def needed on the sideboard as you can name Volcanic Fallout.

Shroud creatures give you an edge in the control mirror. Set Meddling Mage to Volcanic Fallout. Counter anything that gets pointed at him. Play shroud guys to force their Infest or Wrath of God and counter that should be good for the win.

Shroud guys are a good idea, but when I look at my creature list, every one does something for card advantage, with or without blink, except the Witch, which abuses them. Shroud guys both couldn't be bounced to save them if need be, and would take slots away from the cards granting the card advantage. Ideas for what to switch out would be appreciated, though. I'm just putting it as I see it.

The Muse in my build, I like the two copies. Having blink and countermana up every turn tends to make it easier to bluff control, and punish misplays.

My opinion on Broken Ambitions is that it's only good on the play until the late game, though with the ramp I play, it could work. (I suck at cutting cards.) Perhaps cut one Mind Stone for the third Ambitions? The Stone you want to see in the early game, though, so I think not. Other than that, I'm not sure what I could cut for it, though. For now, 2 Broken Ambitions, though seeing them in the early game is pretty important.

Sideboard as it stands:

1 Glen Elendra Archmage
3 Celestial Purge
3 Gutteral Reponse
4 Meddling Mage
4 Behemoth Sledge

Deck:

-4 Bloom Tender, +4 Noble Heirarch
-2 Remove Soul, +2 Broken Ambitions
Shroud would be welcome, but I'm not sure what to cut for it.

Any more ideas?
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need 4 sledge in sb... with all ur card advantage, u can get away with running just 1, and then the other 3 can be something like flashfreeze, burrenton forge tender, hindering light even... stillmoon cavy.. hell, even paladin en-vec wouldnt be a horrible choice with the uprise of bloodbraid being in every deck... paladin alone would keep you alive vs 5cb
Socks3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. Now SB -2 Behemoth Sledge +2 Flashfreeze, for now.

EDIT: Testing tells me that I prefer the Bloomtender to the Heirarch.

Reasoning - Exalted only begins to help at all when I get to the late game, by which point I have a soft lock, and it doesn't help much. The extra two mana from Bloom Tender make it that much more helpful with the Witch, and because we aren't trying to play anything huge on turn 2, the major advantage of the Hierarch is gone.
Lat[GRC]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im trying the Mists-Lark control idea about 2 months here at m-l (not irl) and I got a 3rd place on a trial back on April ( http://www.magic-league.com/deck/51448/uw_mists.html )

Since then the deck has changed a bit but a prefer trying control with creatures than spells so that Lark always has target to bring in game... Also Galepowder mage does great combos. That deck has about I'd say 40-60 vs the tier 1 decks except Fae where it drops to 30-70 or so. Here is my latest decklist (just got a 16 max mini - http://www.magic-league.com/tournament/info.php?id=52355&view=decks )

Main Deck
4 Mystic Gate
3 Adarkar Wastes
7 Plains
6 Island
1 Vivid Meadow
3 Reflecting Pool
3 Reveillark
4 Mulldrifter
2 Knight-Captain of Eos
3 Galepowder Mage
3 Mistmeadow Witch
2 Sower of Temptation
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Glen Elendra Archmage
2 Nevermaker
3 Knight of Meadowgrain
3 Turn to Mist
3 Path to Exile
2 Negate

Sideboard

2 Negate
2 Wrath of God
4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
3 Celestial Purge
4 Meddling Mage
Socks3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermaker seems like kind of a do-nothing card. TBH, I like my list better.

Kitchen Finks is an idea, though. But it can't be reanimated with Lark, which everything in my list can (Except Lark, obv.)
Lat[GRC]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Nevermaker can lock games for me.

About fimks he is good for controling and r4 you can mist him and remove counter if he had block etch. But for you yes you have many spells so you need all creatures to be power 2 max

And how about cryptic? do you get to play it on time ? It seems very expensive for me.
Socks3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue with it.
asamodious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all his lands make blue..except for 2...why would he have a problem casting it?
Oop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your list is really out of date, looks like the original deck that was played in the 5k... here is a thread on mtg-salv with a few more revelations

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=160509

Some of the new techs that friends and i have found since playing it... is Windborn muse for sure... and Clone is really fun Smile and u/w borderposts are sick... especially since it basically makes you immune to anthemancer since it never does more than 2 or so...

-4 Bloom Tender, +4 Noble Heirarch
-2 Remove Soul, +2 Broken Ambitions

That is an awful awful choice, you take the deck from the whole focus and throw it off... heirarch is worse in everyway to bloom tender... Broken ambitions is completely worse than remove soul... you have archmages for non-creatures and the only real threats you have to worry about are creatures that hit the board and do something relevant (lark, swans, redcap etc...)
Socks3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd already brought back the Bloom Tender - about 6 posts ago. The only advantage it had was fixing... and that wasn't really needed.

Broken Ambitions over Remove Soul, so far I like it. Countering a second turn Bitterblossom becomes really relevant with faeries on the rise.

That said, my fae matchup stinks. Can't think of too many ways to improve it, though. Any ideas?

And yeah, it's been a while since I loaded this deck up.

EDIT: Going through that list, I made some changes to mine. I'll post the new list later - I'm in a bit of a rush.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1