Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB blightning aggro FNM and Casual META problems

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
alvaro202

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: RB blightning aggro FNM and Casual META problems Reply with quote

I've always been particular about mono red decks, and just recently the RB blightning aggro/beatdown deck have peaked my interest. Unfortunately, the casual setting I play in has a strange meta, as does my FNM.

My deck list is as follows,

spells: 16
(3) volcanic Fallout
(4) flame javelin
(4) incinerate
(4) blightning
(1) banefire

creatures: 21
(4) figure of destiny
(4) mogg fanatic
(4) hellspark elemental
(2) stigma lasher
(4) boggart Ram-Gang
(3) shambling remains

lands: 23
(3) ghitu encampments
(Cool mountains
(4) aunties hovels
(4) graven cairns
(4) sulfurous springs

side: 15
(3) shriekmaw
(4) bitterblossom
(3) everlasting torment
(3) infest
(2) deathmark

This deck consistently comes out and beats down on MOST decks I come across. However 1 friend I play uses mono white kithkin and it pisses me off constantly. He only main boards 1 forge tender, and he always seems to play it turn 1. After he sides in 4 he mulligans till he has a turn 1 forge tender. Now on the first game its just GG if it comes out and I have to deal with it using the tools I have in main board. I just have nothing available to deal with what happens, and it seems whenever I try to gain card advantage with a blightning or a well timed volcanic fallout I never net better than a 2 for 1 gain, and with the matchup being as unfavorable as it is its just not good enough.

Some notable problems that I am looking for solutions for:

How to deal with turn 3 glorious anthem (and the inevitable second one that comes into play later on)

How to deal with ranger of eos

Is goblin outlander the obvious answer to these questions? siege gange commander? The 2 cards that I love in the deck, but HATE in the matchup against monowhite is hellspark elemental and shambling remains. Any deck that doesn't play remove from game spells (AKA celestial purge, unmake, path to exile) gets creamed by the graveyard recursion, but against MWK it is laughable even when they resolve and land damage.

What I see is goblin out lander will defiantly improve the matchup, but I don't see it helping my deck against all other matchups. I'm also unsure about the distortion of my mana curve by playing siege gang commanders, but the card is such a beast. I'm looking for helpful information from players that have tested blightning aggro and have played against these match ups. Insight that I am unaware of is much appreciated.
Magno-
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the deck as well and imho the deck needs Terror. Maindeck or Sideboard... I would always play 3 of them maindeck. Instead of the Shambling Remains.

Don't need Shriekmaw in the sideboard. Drop them in favor of Goblin Outlanders. They make your matchup vs. white so much better. If you have a lot of white decks in your meta, then you could also play them maindeck.

The decklist I play is as following:
// Creatures (1Cool
4x Boggart Ram-Gang
4x Mogg Fanatic
4x Figure of Destiny
4x Hellspark Elemental
2x Siege-Gang Commander

// Spells (19)
4x Blightning
4x Incinerate
4x Flame Javelin
3x Volcanic Fallout
3x Terror
1x Banefire

// Lands (23)
7x Mountain
4x Sulfurous Springs
4x Graven Cairns
4x Auntie's Hovel
2x Ghitu Encampment
2x Reflecting Pool

// Sideboard (15)
4x Goblin Outlander
4x Infest
3x Thoughtseize
3x Wild Ricochet
3x Deathmark
1x Banefire
1x Terror

I don't want to say that this is the most optimal list. Because it's kind of tweaked to my meta + I don't have all the cards I want to play.

For example:
I'd love to play 1 extra reflecting pool in favor of 1 mountain.
And I might want to use Bitterblossoms as well.

My meta has a hell of a load of white. But I dislike the outlanders maindeck (Because of Volcanic Fallouts).
But almost all of my sideboard is usable vs mono white. (Which is and will be our worst matchup)
hestix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terror
Your friend is cheating if he gets it every g1.
Outlander seems really weak but I've been wrong before.
Splash white for enchant removal instead of burning their guys out, I swear it's incredible.
alvaro202

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all really great suggestions. I'm going to use 2 siege-gang in MB now. I'm still iffy about terror over shriekmaw. hard casting a shriekmaw gives a 3/2 blocker against pro red creatures, and a 3/2 unblock able against non-black decks. Instant speed terror is a plus, but so far I have not played against someone who uses plumeveil.

I have recently gotten a wild ricochet and have been tempted to use it in my main board as a 1 of, but the 4 cost associated with it has kept me from ever using it. How has that card performed for other players, and is it a side board card against certain decks? I run 4 bitter blossoms in side as a game 2 win condition. It only works well if I just won game 1 and I want to quickly seal the deal on game 2.

Stigma Lasher is such a cool card, but against the deck I need it the most (bant aggro with rhox warmonk and rafiq) it never gets a hit on the player. Everlasting torment does the job but only if I have another enchantment or permanent that can soak a celestial purge ( like a bitter blossom) It also doesn't trade with any other 2 drop in the meta very well, so it's a great card when your opponent gets a slow hand, horrible when they bring there A game.

Those goblin Outlanders will go in my side, they seem to be the key against any white deck. Stigma lashers will have to go, there performance is consistently bad, at least in my deck. I am unsure about thoughtseize, I like seeing my opponents hand but for my sideboard options the choice will be either thoughtseize or bitterblossom, not both. I've seen bitter blossom in play and it has won games (albeit very close games) I have no experience using thoughtseize so am unsure which is the best option.

-3 shambling remains
-2 stigma lasher
+2 siege-gang commander
+3 terror / shriekmaw (still unsure, will probably end up being terror)

side would be
4 bitterblossom
3 infest
2 deathmark
4 goblin outlander
2 everlasting torment

That seems weird for sideboard though, as bitter blossom and goblin outlander would be vying for the same position in the main deck depending on if I want offense or defense. I also hate not wanting to cast a field wipe because I have creatures on my board, and both cards put creatures into play that would be killed by my own infests and volcanic fallout.

EDIT:
I have used profane command in the past and it has given really bad results. It often is played on turn 4 to kill a 2/2 and deal another 3 damage, but when played later on for a shriekmaw recursion or any other fancy shenanigans, it is either to little to late or easily counter able. After losing a few times to incorrectly playing profane's I sold my playset. It was a good card and had some great playable functions, but I feel WoTC did a bad thing by making it sorcery speed.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the mighty Demigod of Revenge? Sad
asamodious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynolf wrote:
What happened to the mighty Demigod of Revenge? Sad

path to exile

and anyways SCG is better.
mishimakaz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asamodious wrote:

path to exile

and anyways SCG is better.

w0rd
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, neither is in good in that deck right now, hence the reason it's not teir 1. Demigod says bye bye to a Path, and if you play Siege Gang on turn 5, odds are you'll say bye bye to it from a Volcanic Fallout. Siege-Gang is good in the 'Lark decks, but not so much in Blightning.

Put a 4th Infest in the board, and please, please... run Terror over Shriekmaw. As good as Shrieky is, instant-speed removal is still better than the creature. A 4th Fallout in place of the singleton Banefire should be there too, move the Banefire to the boaard.
compucrazy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathmark is a decent SB option. Handles plumeveil and forge tender for one mana.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1