Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Sucks Right Now

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic

Do you like how magic is doing right now?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 22 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
HUH????
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

Sofa0King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried playing dumb red burn in type 2? Surprisingly satisfying.
Manipulation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T2 is the only major format I'm disappointed in. Extended could be better (read: cheaper), but has no major problems, monored burn and affinity are (arguable by some) viable enough. I don't play eternal formats, but I think the GP Chicago meta was pretty varied. Dunno ANYTHING about Vintage. Alara is decent for sealed/draft, better than any Lorwyn/Shadowmoor crap.

Stick with it, it'll get better once multicolor goes away for a year or two.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's too many good rare mana fixing. I love how the duel lands are uncommon in Shards though.

Reflecting Pool is the biggest culprit because it's almost essential in any deck with more than 1 colour, and it's fucking $25 each. That's just really fucking unhealthy for T2.
Coonan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
There's too many good rare mana fixing. I love how the duel lands are uncommon in Shards though.

Reflecting Pool is the biggest culprit because it's almost essential in any deck with more than 1 colour, and it's fucking $25 each. That's just really fucking unhealthy for T2.

I'll take having to buy one playset of rare lands at 25 each, than 10 playsets of rarelands at 15-20 each, like during ravnica block. I feel like manabases are cheaper now than they have been in a while, tbh. Look at five color control's mana base - it's half uncommons! A five-color deck in past formats would have been much more expensive.
Pluto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left magic at the exact same time as you but for the reason that magic was getting way too expensive. And I have come back right now also, And I find that magic is even MORE expensive. Sets are coming out faster and with Mythic rares? Come on, if your taget population are mostly student how do you expect them to afford to Keep playing this game if you rotate sets out of type 2 so quick?

I also agree that having only 5 or 6 top decks make the field very stagnant and not enjoyable. What ever happend to coming out with a banned and restricted list when certain card are just taking over and defining the field. Get rid of a few card to allow more creativity or bring back stone rain and pillage and that will change things.

When I played back in the day (we used to walk uphill both ways) almost every deck was mono-colored - stompy, sligh, counter-control, suicide black, white weenie. Now THERE is not a single mono-colored deck that is viable to play. There has to be a balance between rainbow becks and mono decks are their isn't.

I think Ill just wait until magic 2010 to shake things up before I dip my feet back in the water
mishimakaz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year and last year Extended were probably one of best times to play Extended in recent history. Both years had healthy metas open to a lot of innovation and rouge decks.

Though T2 could be MUCH better right now...
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Reveliark wasn't printed and they had reprinted Molten Rain instead of Cryoclasm (who needs Islands when you can run like 12 duals for any color combination?) I think T2 would be more interesting. As of now it's pretty meh for me.
The way I see it T2 started and got better through Ice Age block through Tempest it was good, Urza's alternated between broken and boring (or both at the same time), Invasion was good then it got worse and worse... Odyssey came out and Tog was the only good deck, then Madness was the only good deck, then Slide Rift was the only good deck, peaking at boring when Affinity came around. As soon as Ravager got banned T2 got fun as hell, Ravnica block was the best T2 ever, then after that rotated out, even though there's not terrible variety and the decks are balanced now, since then T2 has just gotten more and more boring for me.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pluto wrote:
I left magic at the exact same time as you but for the reason that magic was getting way too expensive. And I have come back right now also, And I find that magic is even MORE expensive. Sets are coming out faster and with Mythic rares? Come on, if your taget population are mostly student how do you expect them to afford to Keep playing this game if you rotate sets out of type 2 so quick?

I also agree that having only 5 or 6 top decks make the field very stagnant and not enjoyable. What ever happend to coming out with a banned and restricted list when certain card are just taking over and defining the field. Get rid of a few card to allow more creativity or bring back stone rain and pillage and that will change things.

When I played back in the day (we used to walk uphill both ways) almost every deck was mono-colored - stompy, sligh, counter-control, suicide black, white weenie. Now THERE is not a single mono-colored deck that is viable to play. There has to be a balance between rainbow becks and mono decks are their isn't.

I think Ill just wait until magic 2010 to shake things up before I dip my feet back in the water

magic has always been like this especially t2 its not rotating any faster than usual t2 has rotated the same time almost every year. the banned list is only used for cards that are too good that you either have to play them or you have no hope to win the tournament, that is not the case in any format. id say mono blue faeries is a pretty viable deck
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not at its best... but its been worse and it is getting better... im content with it atm...
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishimakaz wrote:
This year and last year Extended were probably one of best times to play Extended in recent history. Both years had healthy metas open to a lot of innovation and rouge decks...

I don't know, the two-rotations-ago Extended fucking rocked (best format ever IMHO; Vampiric Tutor was legal without breaking anything for gawd's sake, and Sneak Attack Top 8d a GP!) and the last Ext season was pretty similar to this one in terms of versatility (except combo wasn't quite as strong back then). I mean, everything from BW discard to mono-blue was awesome.

So this one is relatively open and interesting, but definitely no more so than the last one and far less so than the previous one. As far as Extendeds go, this ranks at "average variance". The defining trait of this season though is that there's a large number of decks that need to be contained by hate making playing "fair" Magic seem like a poor proposition (and still, the most successful strategy as of late), with Elves, TEPS, Affinity and heck, even Swans requiring a variety of different answers.
Zoom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played magic off and on from the beginning. I've lived through black summer, prosp-bloom, academy, high tide, broken jar, trix, lin sivvi, replenish, raffinity and more. T2 and 1.x are just fine compared to past formats. Limited has been consistently interesting and fun for the past few years. No complaints here.
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you say there's no room for innovation in extended!?

Kenny Öberg is having great success with his Tezzerator, that no-one else is playing. Adrian Sullivan has (re-)invented both Stompy and Ponza.

Other than that, there are like a millions different decks to play. I'd say the metagame is very healthy.

*EDIT*

Oh, and about budget in ext, one of the Tier 1 decks is very cheap, and both Affinity and Dumb Burn are viable options. Storm ain't the most expensive either.

Last edited by Ludz on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super_Prep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that magic is doing pretty good right now, especially in standard. THe metagame has a good slew of teir 1 decks and no one has noticed that they are all pretty balanced. Nut, yeah some decks just win too much I'll say, and some decks are way too good like red decks. I'm content with anti red at the moment, but I hope Alara Reborn will bring forth more great cards, maybe more anti red, and blue/white stuff for control decks. I just love control decks I write articles on those! Oh and extended and such just sucks a bit, they need to make the old cards CHEAPER WAY CHEAPER!!!!!! Maybe reprint extended cards in a extended core set or something like that. I also enjoy the standard metagame right now because lol, I got the best deck and it has'nt lost yet except to a single stupid R/B blighting deck and I swear he was really lucky, well very lucky.
LordLink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres always someone pissed at magic at any given time, can't really be helped.

But except for Rav/Tsp name any point in magics long history where the metagame has been more diverse. Rav/Tsp is special and many will agree it was the best standard ever, however it was also the standard dominated by $500 manabases and Tarmogoyf.

Paying $25 for Reflecting Pools and then forking out for filter and painlands can be a bitch yes, but then thats always been true. However:

1. Wizards looks like they're fixing this, the Shardlands were uncommon and the duals in M10 will be uncommon.

2. Older players are often willing to lend out things like Painlands for tournament play.

3. You don't fucking need an expensive manabase, just run some terramorphic expanses and accept you don't have an "optimal" manabase. Magic players need to examine the difference between strong and optimal and accept that it is possible to win without the best possible combination of cards that you can assemble.

Extended Doran is amusing. Each card costs around $25.
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughtseize and goyf... what else costs 25 bucks in ext doran. magic will always cost money. wizards does not decide the cost of singles. magic is a buisness so wizards makes cards so u will still buy them, for every 1 person who quits 5 more new people start. you dont like paying dont play.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2