Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reacting to planeswalkers

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reacting to planeswalkers Reply with quote

rob132 wrote:
Was in a game where opponent dropped Garruk.

I responded by flame jabing him.

He stated that he activated Garruk's ability before i jabed him and put a 3/3 token into play.

I jabed as a response to Garruk on the stack. He can't react to my jab because you can only use planeswalker abilities whenever you could play a sorcery, and you can't react to instants with sorceries.

He said that since he dropped Garruk during his main phase, he can use the activated ability immediately and the only response i could do was to counter it or stifle it.

Who's right?

You may of course play Flame Javelin with Garruk on the stack, but you can not redirect the damage to Garruk if it's not in play.

If you want to kill Garruk as soon as possible, here's what happens:

Opponent plays Garruk.
You let it resolve.
Now your opponent has priority, and may use Garruk's ability to put a Beast into play.
In response to the ability, you can play Flame Javelin, redirecting damage to the planeswalker.

However, Garruk's ability is still on the stack, and will resolve after Flame Javelin, putting a 3/3 into play.
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right.

When Garruk resolves, it enters play. Because it is your opponents turn, and the stack is now empty, he has priority. You can't play any spells or abilities until he passes priority.
Manipulation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of you was playing things on the wrong side of their turn. Planeswalkers are played at sorcery speed, just like sorceries like Flame Jab.

Now assuming you mean Flame Javelin, you can use it to burn your opponent with Garruk on the stack, but not Garruk itself, because it isn't in play yet. And once Garruk comes into play, your opponent will receive priority to use one of its abilities. You may respond to the ability, but the ability will still be on the stack, so in this case your opponent would get the 3/3 token.
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob132 wrote:
Yes, I did mean flame javelin.

OK then, what about this:

He plays Garruk
I do nothing
he play another spell (anything)
I react by flame javelining Garruk.

In this instance, would he be able to use Garruk's ability?

No, because you can only use planeswalker's abilities when you could play a sorcery.
Bullet4myVal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he wouldnt
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if he's dumb enough to not use an ability right away and either plays something or passes priority you can Flame Javelin Garruk without him being able to use the ability of Garruk.

Which is exactly why people play the ability right away 99% of the time.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1