Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faeries in conflux

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
zeratul734

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Faeries in conflux Reply with quote

Faeries: they're certainly still tier one, but you can't play 'em exactly like you used to. There's some threads for individual differences, but i'd like to hear ideas on how faeries is changing overall, both in decklists and in playstyle.

here's what i'm running atm:

4x faerie conclave
4x secluded glen
4x sunken ruins
7x island
6x swamp
--25 land

4x scion of oona
4x mistbind clique
4x spellstutter sprite
2x vendillion clique
--14 creatures

4x bitterblossom
4x broken ambitions
1x loxodon warhammer
3x thoughtseize
1x jace beleren
4x cryptic command
4x agony warp
--21 spells

4x flashfreeze
1x thoughtseize
3x bottle gnomes
3x countersquall
3x infest
1x shriekmaw
--15 sideboard

UBW faeries: pros? cons?

Regarding play style, i find myself playing more non-faeries like shriekmaw and bottle gnomes, and holding off on mistbinds until later than i used to. I also see my key cards falling faster, and tokens becoming more important than ever; it seems like the edges with which faeries win the game become smaller and smaller. I also run thoughtseize main and run vendilions, which i didn't used to, not only instead of counters, but because they compliment the broken ambitions pretty darn well. Also i don't like pain lands, there's enough life loss without them, and if i cut mutavaults, it seems to be the same to me.

what are you surviving faerie players running, how are you playing differently, and why?
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x Spellstutter Sprite
2x Scion of Oona
3x Vendilion Clique
4x Mistbind Clique
2x Wall of Reverence

4x Bitterblossom

4x Path to Exile
4x Esper Charm
4x Cryptic Command
4x Broken Ambitions

5x Island
4x Arcane Sanctum
2x Adarkar Wastes
4x Mutavault
4x Secluded Glen
2x Sunken Ruins
3x Mystic Gate
1x Swamp
1x Plains

SB-- --------------------
2x Scion of Oona
1x Vendilion Clique
2x Wall of Reverence
2x Jace Beleren
4x Thoughtseize
4x Infest
BigJoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side board musts are either forge tender or Mark of Asylum. I run a combo of both.
zeratul734

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only card i really see worth making the switch would be wall of reverence, those few points of damage really make it worth running. Then PtE and esper charm seem like auto-adds, esp. against the mirror.

I don't really see forge-tender doing much good, since the big red problems for faeries tend to be uncounterable; this goes for mark of asylum too. I would rather have counters or scions.

@ weehood:

it takes an extra mana, and it comes in tapped, but i'd rather have the blue mana provided by faerie conclave, especially with the lack of painlands.

As far as the bottle gnomes, other than being excellent vs. all those 2/2 kithkins and surviving infest and fallout, how often does a faerie player lose to those last few points of damage from bitterblossom? It's doubly important with banefire around.

Edit: pithing needle + finks: finks' abilities are triggered, not activated. But still, not a bad idea; i'm just not 100% on it. I'll mess around with it a bit though.

Last edited by zeratul734 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigJoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea its uncounterable but you can still prevent the damage. Is exactly what Asylum and Forge Tender do.
zeratul734

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJoo wrote:
Yea its uncounterable but you can still prevent the damage. Is exactly what Asylum and Forge Tender do.

ok, i was thinking it couldn't be prevented like banefire. my bad.

Also, in my meta i see more PtE than fallout; i'm pretty much the only one playing faeries, it's mostly kithkin to be honest, but i see enough that it's a consideration in my deck builds. If i dropped scions, what would i put in? another thoughtseize, another vendilion and some shriekmaws? I just can't think of a suitable replacement. It's great PtE defense, and it's great to make a sweet little army of tokens lethal at the end of the game. Besides, they hit the side vs. decks with fallout.

And in my experience, against kithkin (over 50% of my meta), bottle gnomes win games. You need that life buffer to save you until you can swing overhead in enough force to finish them, and it's so nice to have at least something left post-infest. Not to mention it's one of the best topdecks ever, you can always use a bottle gnomes Very Happy Seriously, i'm considering upping the count to 4. i usually board them in for scions vs. fallout decks anyway.

reinforcements... or refreshments?
Bullet4myVal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first list needs moar mutas
zeratul734

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding mutavault, i'm thinking i might actually throw those in eventually, but i can rarely think of a game where i actually wish i had one for the turn 5 scion or the beats. That being said, i've top 2'd the last 2 FNMs, so i might see some fallouts, even in RW kithkin (which will probably end up as boat brew anyway Sad
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallout doesnt do anything except make fae bettter
Shagrath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

If u are running a 3 color deck, its almost unviable to run 4 mutavaults, i would say 2 and no more... cuz of reflecting pool + mutavault issues, and u surely want to run pool in any deck that has more than 2 colors.
Scion of oona is losing its utility with cards like fallout, i would say run more cliques and thoughtseize instead of it.
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are u playing 3 colours i dont undertsant
zeratul734

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White deals really well with the red threats conflux has released, plus Path to Exile. It's basically a way to cope with a changing meta, a way to deal with life loss, and makes the mirror a lot easier. I'm still running black blue though, i just like the way it plays (which is why i'm running faeries to start with)
BigBallin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have alot of experience with faeries as its my favorite deck in t2 at the moment. The list i play is as follows:

4 mutavault
4 secluded glen
3 underground river
4 sunken ruins
1 faerie conclave
6 island
3 swamp

4 mistbind clique
3 vendilion clique
4 spellstutter sprites
3 sower of temptation

4 bitterblossom
4 agony warp
3 cryptic command
4 broken ambitions
2 jace
4 thoughtseize

SB:
4 flashfreeze
4 infest
2 peppersmoke
2 glen elendra archmage
2 loxodon warhammer
1 vendilion clique

Imo this is a great list for the current meta. As mentioned earlier scion of oona isn't very good in the current meta. Where vendilion clique is much better against your aggro matchups as well as against 5-C nabbing those fallouts/banefire/cloudthreshers.
zeratul734

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still not seeing why anyone would run a deck with sowers and no scions. Fallout hits them in decks that run it, and pte hits them in decks that don't. I'd just personally rather see the slots go to something else.
zeratul734

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i don't find fallout to be much of a problem, mostly due to the decks i see with it most often wipe their own boards. (other than blightning, but that's a bad MU anyway...)

The problem i seem to have been running into at the last couple FNMs has been, oddly enough, bad draws and good draws. I have been consistently drawing hands that look something like island-island-swamp-swamp-glen-thoughtseize-mistbind, and pulling a similar thing minus a land on the mull. Even all the way down to 4 cards, i can't seem to pull a useful hand worth my life- in fact, one of my opponents i played against, games 1 and 2 i mulled to 5 and saw no bitterblossoms. I beat him in the swiss and saw him in top 8, and mulled to 5 (no blossoms, lost to land flood) and 3 (no blossoms until last turn of game, lost to not having enough answers)

I guess my question is, when is it right to stop mulliganing? I usually just go until i have either early answers or a bitterblossom, but lately i seem to be drawing all my late game answers which, good as they are, aren't worth anything while they drop huge threats turns 1-2-3.

What do you fae players out there usually take as a "good enough hand" on the game 1?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2