Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wild Nacatl

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
R3wind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Wild Nacatl Reply with quote

I control a Plains and a Mountain.

I would like to make sure that the power and toughness of Wild Nacatl is 1/1 in other zones like Lib, RFG, Graveyard.

What I am trying to do is tutor for Nacatl with Ranger of Eos and or return to play with Reveillark
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The abilities you were thinking of, which work outside play are the so called CDA, characteristic-defining abilities. Those usually read like

~this cardnames's power and toughness are equal to [criteria].

where criteria can be
- the number of card types in all graveyards
- the number of cards in your hand
- the number of Goblins in play

and similar.
KevinJonas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is they apply when crit not on play?! cuz on a modo i has 2/x aven that gets a 0/1+ for ever basic land u have... and it was in my hand and modo says 2/3! i had 3 basiics!!
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he just explained that they are different. aven does no say it gets +0/+1 anywhere on the card, it says its toughness is equal to the number of basic land types you control. this is a CDA as Flippi just explained as opposed to nacatl which is its own static ability
Maksym

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good guideline to follow is that if there are x's or stars in the power or toughness those are always calculated even when the creature is not in play. As such you can get the nactal back with reveilark but something like tarmogoyf you cannot. (provided there are three different card types in graveyards)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1