Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New Teferi Teachings: Ethersworn Cannonist Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
noobmellow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: The New Teferi Teachings: Ethersworn Cannonist Control Reply with quote

The new teferi comes with a 2/2 beatstick.

basically

turn 1 condemn their figure
turn 2 remove soul their knight
turn 3 negate their spectral procession
turn 4 ethersworn cannonist
opponents turn 5 they drop an ajani (u counter or they drop a incinerate and you hindering light it)

basically you run cards like pte condemn, unsummon turns into great removal, you control the board and protect your cannon and beat with it for the win. maybe throw in an ethersworn adjudicator.

idk how it would work or what colors would be best. just sort of a controlish build. wth cannon like teferi. maybe some sphinx summoner or tezz. what do you guys think. just an idea.

or a reveillark build idk

master transmuter. not sure

any ideas pop from your cranium. post

live in the moment,
Mushmellow
Bushviper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, i like how you assumed your opponents' playes in your example. Anyways, in the current t2, I dont think there are enough good counters to play U/W control. Faeries and 5cc are only good because they apply pressure or run TONS of mass removal and huge threats, two asspects the deck you are propossing does not sound like it has.
noobmellow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushviper wrote:
Lol, i like how you assumed your opponents' playes in your example. Anyways, in the current t2, I dont think there are enough good counters to play U/W control. Faeries and 5cc are only good because they apply pressure or run TONS of mass removal and huge threats, two asspects the deck you are propossing does not sound like it has.

thanks for posting. yah. the part where i decide what my opponent plays. well i just type what i think without thinking about what i type Smile

yah. is fay really still good? not winning as much.

but anyways, 5cc has huge threats. cool. maybe i should have thoughs too. if they are good. but yah. master could drop big bombs. i am just trying to think of some new stuff. and was wondering if anyone else thought about cannon too. that would be cool.

counters hmm..

broken ambitions
negate
remove soul
flashfreeze
cancel
UB negate
cancel
white memory lapse
hindering light
twincast (in some situations like vs cryptic command)
cc
hm. not sure whatelse

removal,

unsummmon
pte
condemn
boomerang
oring
disperse

just ideas. quality not considered yet. whats bad whats good in your opinion.

thanks for the help..

good day.

mushmellow
Bushviper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the only good Counters right now are cryptic command and Broken Ambitions (Ambitions is only "good" for lack of a better X counter that can counter all types of spells). The rest are far too situational. Also, you must realize that your whole teory for essentialy locking your opponenet out of the game with counters+cannonist is extreamly frail as all mb creature kill decks are running will have filled up in their hands by the time you drop cannonist making it very hard to keep the cannonist alive. just my thoughts though.
twodioz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an ok idea except for one card; Volcanic Fallout.
I guess you could get out the master, but 2 damage uncounterable seems like a back breaker for the deck in general.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is playing white and Fallout can't handle Burrenton Forge-Tender. Or the new enchantment that prevents all non-combat damage dealt to creatures you control.
noobmellow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushviper wrote:
Really the only good Counters right now are cryptic command and Broken Ambitions (Ambitions is only "good" for lack of a better X counter that can counter all types of spells). The rest are far too situational. Also, you must realize that your whole teory for essentialy locking your opponenet out of the game with counters+cannonist is extreamly frail as all mb creature kill decks are running will have filled up in their hands by the time you drop cannonist making it very hard to keep the cannonist alive. just my thoughts though.

good ideas. was cannon hits they can only play one spell a turn. its not that frail if there is a lark build too.

not too scared about volcanic fallout.

maybe tidewalker sculler, thoughtsieze, and burr in the board.

any ideas on lists? i am thinking WUB controlish maybe. or could also go red for swerve.

thanks for your help everyone,
keep the good advice rolling

~mushmellow
Dr_Moo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethersworn Canonist is a bear. Control decks do not run bears unless they do something pretty remarkable. Arcane Lab is not nearly that strong.

Teferi's ability is much more restrictive than Canonists, particularly in context (Teferi stopped the opponents Suspend cards). Teferi is a much stronger card on its own. Teferi could be tutored up by Teachings. Teferi was an ideal control card because of his ability to be deployed eot. Teferi effectively protects himself.

The two cards are not very similar.
noobmellow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr_Moo wrote:
Ethersworn Canonist is a bear. Control decks do not run bears unless they do something pretty remarkable. Arcane Lab is not nearly that strong.

Teferi's ability is much more restrictive than Canonists, particularly in context (Teferi stopped the opponents Suspend cards). Teferi is a much stronger card on its own. Teferi could be tutored up by Teachings. Teferi was an ideal control card because of his ability to be deployed eot. Teferi effectively protects himself.

The two cards are not very similar.

well. they are similar in that they look cool etc. and are fun to play. once you get a cannon lockdown ppl are like wtf noob!!!

anyways. bears are cute Smile
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a way of countering what they play no matter what, and they don't have instants and no creatures in play, Canonist would surely be good. But then you stumble into an esper deck and they laugh in your face.

They play a spell... you counter it. Then they play Tidehollow Sculler.

Cute.

It is not a lockdown. And Teferi is a zillion times more devastating than this puny bear.
noobmellow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but bears are cute...
Kratic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canonist can be used to create a type of lock down.
The key is the lock down. You don't have to counter everything, but enough (with Canonist in play mind you) to where you leave them with nothing.
With one spell a turn, instants are ftw. EOT spells and activated abilities become priceless.
Also, in my construction HD is good too. Removing cards even further limits their options.
And to counter Volcanic Fallout, Mark of Asylum quickly ends that.
Just to be stupid: Master Transmuter: bounce X artifact and play.......

Colussus of Sardia Twisted Evil

Or Inkwell Leviathan.
Or something along those lines. They probably aren't the best choices but just imagine the other guy's face.
noobmellow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya prretty much gg.

keep pimpin' rogues
Madstrike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane lab effect is not that strong if ur opponnent plays around it ud have to counter 2 spells in 1 turn, one at end of ur turn and other on ur opponnets turn. Not that hard to take canonist out of the table. Manlands can also provide you serious problems, not to mention bitterblosson.
noobmellow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madstrike wrote:
Arcane lab effect is not that strong if ur opponnent plays around it ud have to counter 2 spells in 1 turn, one at end of ur turn and other on ur opponnets turn. Not that hard to take canonist out of the table. Manlands can also provide you serious problems, not to mention bitterblosson.

yah its not that good. good analysis. sound evidence. i won't play it then to decrease your chances of winning.

Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1