Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MWSplay Gripe Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Kytep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else get the sense that "noob" in MWSPlay doesn't mean "You must be new to the game" or even "You're an idiot", but that it really means, "You just kicked my ass and I'm so threatened by you that I'm going to disconnect now in shame..."?

Or, when it's a ruling dispute: "This is how I learned to play at my kitchen table (I've never even been to a PTQ), but I'm so unsure of myself that I'm afraid that my position won't hold up to the scrutiny of asking a judge or even reading the rules, so I'm going to disconnect now in shame before I find out that I'm wrong..."

Or is it just me? Smile

Kytep
EMA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny things also happen with seal of fires and tarmogoyfs, (or any instant burn when there is no instant in graveyards), when u point out that their spell is actually going to the grave b4 resolving then they suggest u should learn rules, call u noob and quit lol

Not to mention the guy that was trying to convince me that on your discard step you can pay 1 life for each card beyond the 7th to keep it...
MikeL123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMA, that's poorly worded. For instants, like a Lightning Bolt for example, the spell "resolves" when it is on top of the stack and both players pass priority. It deals 3 damage to the Tarmogoyf, and then since you're done carrying out the instructions on the card, it goes to the graveyard. So in fact, the card does NOT go to the graveyard before it resolves.

What instead happens is the Tarmogoyf takes 3 damage, but creatures can only die due to state-based effects when a player would have priority. And no player has priority mid-spell-resolution. Creatures don't die due to damage DURING a spell's resolution.

http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/rules/summaries/indexes/rule-general-413.php#413

http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/rules/summaries/indexes/rule-general-420.php#420
Malakai97
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or when you counter someone's only out and they call you a lucky noob, then quit before you can reveal the three other counters you are holding plus the removal you have for the thing they played?
IberianWolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or when you play two phyrexian dreadnoughts off of illusionary mask and your opponent insists you have to stifle even after you show the rulings. then, you quit after explaining you won't play with stubborn jerks, and he starts stalking you around mws. you kick his ass some more and he still acts superior. lol.

or when people disconnect when you nullify his big threat. frustration does that... but worse is when someone wins and says "no" to "g2?". As if their victory meant there was a huge gap in skill (which usually isn't).

there are a lot of idiots on mws. usually I just stay away from brazilians (I don't like their attitude towards the internet... they're almost all noobs at everything! not meaning to insult anyone here, but surely you have noticed...), spanish people and other non-english speaking/"player" dudes.

but anyway, there's also cool dudes on mws, I've had some nice conversations Smile
dwarfas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are all gay.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwarfas wrote:
you are all gay.

NO U

Quote:
EMA, that's poorly worded. For instants, like a Lightning Bolt for example, the spell "resolves" when it is on top of the stack and both players pass priority. It deals 3 damage to the Tarmogoyf, and then since you're done carrying out the instructions on the card, it goes to the graveyard. So in fact, the card does NOT go to the graveyard before it resolves.

What instead happens is the Tarmogoyf takes 3 damage, but creatures can only die due to state-based effects when a player would have priority. And no player has priority mid-spell-resolution. Creatures don't die due to damage DURING a spell's resolution.

Mike, if you had actually read EMA's post, he mentioned Seal of Fire specifically. Seal of Fire does indeed go to the graveyard before its ability resolves (since that's the cost to activate its ability), and will indeed pump Tarmogoyf and prevent its death, providing it took no other damage in the turn and there was something else in the graveyards besides non-tribal enchantments.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
dwarfas wrote:
you are all gay.

NO U

Quote:

Mike, if you had actually read EMA's post, he mentioned Seal of Fire specifically. Seal of Fire does indeed go to the graveyard before its ability resolves (since that's the cost to activate its ability), and will indeed pump Tarmogoyf and prevent its death, providing it took no other damage in the turn and there was something else in the graveyards besides non-tribal enchantments.

If YOU would have actually read EMA's post, you would see after mentioning Seal of Fire he also goes on with, ".. (or any instant burn when there is no instant in graveyards)".
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBring3r wrote:
EMA wrote:
Funny things also happen with seal of fires and tarmogoyfs, (or any instant burn when there is no instant in graveyards), when u point out that their spell is actually going to the grave b4 resolving then they suggest u should learn rules, call u noob and quit lol

Not to mention the guy that was trying to convince me that on your discard step you can pay 1 life for each card beyond the 7th to keep it...

That doesn't happen only at MWS, i saw a dude using Nameless Inversion on a Goyf when a land was in a GY. And then there was much crying after the judge explained the rules.

Ugh there's so much crap going on mwsplay that i can't even recall...

I have actually had this happen to me at FNM (the place I was recently bitching about on another forum). The guy played the Inversion and said the Tarmo dies. I said no and got the judge, and then the judge told me I was wrong. I argued my point and eventually other people heard and agreed I was right and then the judge took back his call and said I was right. They both knew the rules. The player was just trying to get a win from a lose/lose situation and the judge was his friend.
wdeister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy scream at me one time when I was playing a game right after M10 was fully spoiled like a day or two before the prerelease. It was a T2 game, he drops turn 1 land Hierarch go. Turn 1 me land go. Turn 2 him Windswept Heath search plains play Rhox War Monk. Me "ummm this is a Type 2 game." "I know." "Windswept Heath isn't standard legal." "Yes they are, they're in m10" "No they're not. These are in M10" *shows Drowned Catacomb* Him - "You're a noob. Bye noob!" The part i wish I knew was how many games did it take him to realize that he was wrong and every other person or almost every other person he played was right including myself. And how many guys before me did he play too that told him the same thing. LOL
MikeL123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: full thread didn't load, sorry. Acidchrist beat me to it.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alphakiller plays Mistvein Borderpost from Hand
BooM shuffles library
Alphakiller taps Mistvein Borderpost
BooM shuffles library
<Alphakiller> Ok?
<BooM> Ok
Alphakiller taps Plains
Alphakiller untaps Plains
Esper Stormblade is now 3/2
It is now the Combat Phase, Declare Attackers Step
Alphakiller taps Esper Stormblade
Alphakiller taps Esper Stormblade
BooM's life total is now 16 (-3)
It is now the Postcombat Main Phase
Alphakiller taps Plains
Alphakiller taps Island
Alphakiller plays Thopter Foundry from Hand
BooM rearranges cards in BooM's Hand
<Alphakiller> Ok?
<BooM> ur deck is so shit
<BooM> wasting my time
<BooM> noob
<System> Player Lost

funny how he doesn't know that my deck actually wins against jund more than it loses, and that against any other type of deck it's still got a very decent record. how he judges that my deck isn't worth anything because I dare to use esper stormblade, mistvien borderpost, and thopter foundry all by turn 3. funny how a deck that isn't played in the current metagame automatically = crap.
wdeister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Esper Block deck with some alterations for the current standard while seemingly very "jank-ish" is actually a very skill-filled deck. In all the games i've played with it MWS, MODO, and IRL-based all the games tend to rely on how skilled the two players who are playing are. For example I played against Jund piloted by some average run of the mill FNMer and won 2-0, played my friend playing Jund nearly same identical list and lost 0-2. My draws weren't different enough to matter. I've had many a player on MWS and even MODO get upset and call me names when they saw what deck or what cards I was playing. Though IRL me being face-to-face with them didn't deter everyone, most anyone who would probably attempt to harass me over my deck choice online, didn't do so cause they weren't anonymous.
wdeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

0:06:36 [wdeister] wdeister plays Umezawa's Jitte from Hand
0:06:36 [wdeister] wdeister plays Repeal from Hand
0:06:36 [wdeister] wdeister plays Boomerang from Hand
0:06:36 [wdeister] wdeister plays Spin into Myth from Hand
0:06:51 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all puts Duress to Graveyard from Play
0:06:53 [wdeister] wdeister puts Umezawa's Jitte to Graveyard from Play
0:06:53 [Libertay4all] <Libertay4all> End my turn
0:06:54 [Libertay4all] It is now the End Phase, Cleanup Step
0:06:57 [wdeister] wdeister puts Repeal to Hand from Play
0:06:57 [wdeister] wdeister puts Boomerang to Hand from Play
0:06:57 [wdeister] wdeister puts Spin into Myth to Hand from Play
0:06:58 [wdeister] It is now turn 15 (wdeister)
0:06:58 [wdeister] It is now the Beginning Phase, Untap Step
0:06:59 [wdeister] wdeister untaps his/her permanents
0:06:59 [wdeister] It is now the Beginning Phase, Upkeep Step
0:07:01 [wdeister] Ancestral Vision now has 2 (-1) counters.
0:07:02 [wdeister] It is now the Beginning Phase, Draw Step
0:07:02 [wdeister] wdeister draws a card
0:07:02 [wdeister] It is now the Precombat Main Phase
0:07:05 [wdeister] <wdeister> LOL
0:07:08 [wdeister] It is now the Combat Phase, Beginning Of Combat Step
0:07:08 [wdeister] It is now the Combat Phase, Declare Attackers Step
0:07:09 [wdeister] wdeister taps Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
0:07:10 [Libertay4all] wdeister taps Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
0:07:10 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all's life total is now 15 (-3)
0:07:12 [wdeister] It is now the Postcombat Main Phase
0:07:17 [wdeister] wdeister taps Snow-Covered Island
0:07:18 [wdeister] wdeister taps Snow-Covered Island
0:07:24 [wdeister] wdeister untaps Snow-Covered Island
0:07:24 [wdeister] wdeister untaps Snow-Covered Island
0:07:29 [wdeister] wdeister taps Snow-Covered Island
0:07:30 [wdeister] wdeister taps Snow-Covered Island
0:07:31 [wdeister] wdeister plays Umezawa's Jitte from Hand
0:07:33 [wdeister] <wdeister> End my turn
0:07:38 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all draws a card
0:07:38 [Libertay4all] <Libertay4all> fucking lucker
0:07:41 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all taps Sunken Ruins
0:07:41 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all taps Sunken Ruins
0:07:42 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all taps Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
0:07:42 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all taps Island
0:07:42 [wdeister] <wdeister> LOL
0:07:42 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all plays Jace, the Mind Sculptor from Hand
0:07:43 [Libertay4all] Libertay4all untaps Swamp
0:07:49 [Libertay4all] Jace, the Mind Sculptor now has 3 (+3) counters.
0:07:55 [wdeister] <wdeister> Right. I've drawn idk 6 more cards and i'm lucky lol
0:08:04 [wdeister] <wdeister> Jace resolves
0:08:04 [Libertay4all] <Libertay4all> yes
0:08:04 [Libertay4all] <Libertay4all> noob
0:08:04 [<System>] <System> Player Lost

Yelling at me for drawing 2 jittes. Are you kidding? What i'm only supposed to see one even after I've drawn a whole hand worth of extra cards. lol People are hysterical.
wdeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I run 3. Some people really don't understand that shuffling doesn't mean you're deck is just going to be a string of 1-ofs even if you have 4x of every single card in your deck. And the effect of seeing multiples is amplified on MWS or Modo as anyone who has played long enough on either will tell you. Which just makes it more comical that people get so upset about it haha
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4