Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sacrilege: MONO Blue Faeries??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Kytep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Sacrilege: MONO Blue Faeries?? Reply with quote

Despite giving up some of the most powerful cards available to Faeries (Thoughtseize, Agony Warp), including arguably THE most powerful card (Bitterblossom), I have stumbled upon something that's doing surprisingly well in playtesting: Mono-Blue Faeries. It's quite different in style to UB Faeries, so please take a moment to read the explanations before judging the deck based on the janky list alone.

4 Cloud Sprite
4 Mothdust Changeling
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Scion of Oona
4 Mistbond Clique
4 Familiar's Ruse
4 Negate (Broken Ambitions? Remove Soul? Sage's Dousing?)
4 Boomerang
4 Cryptic Command
3 Mutavault
21 Island

Sideboard is VERY rough; definitely under development:
4 Sower of Temptation
4 Consign to Dream
4 Unsummon
3 ?

I got inspired to try to make Familiar's Ruse work, especially with Spellstutter. Before I knew it, was was working hard to maximize the chances of a Turn 2 counterspell, with follow-ups most of the turns thereafter. That's why the Sprites and Changelings are in there - to power Turn 2 Stutters or Ruses. The basic idea is now to peck them to death while countering almost anything they throw out.

Countering 2-cc spells on Turn 2 is pretty common when you consider the ways you can do it:

1) Mothdust OR Sprite + Spellstutter OR Ruse
2) Negate/Broken Ambitions (still trying to decide)

Ruses of course get sick with Spellstutters: Counter the spell, return the Stutter so it can counter something else later. Builds nice card advantage that way. You can also Ruse a Clique and get another Mana Short out of it the next turn (not to mention you might get back a Spellstutter that the Clique championed, which might help in a counter war). Theoretically, you can counter up to 30 spells with this deck (Ruses, Boomerangs, and Cryptics allow Stutters to be re-used, plus you can Mistbind a Mistbind that previously championed a Stutter). But you'll usually only re-use your Stutters with Ruses, which still allows up to 20 counters, i.e., Draw-Go levels.

The Scions were originally Vendilion Cliques, but I think I like the Scions better. They pseudo-counter targeted removal and of course make your guys bigger so you can finish the job that much faster.

I'm amazed at how well this is doing against aggro, even RDW. You just have to know when to press the offense and know when to be patient. Boomerangs (and Unsummon/Consigns, from the side) help catch up to things that slipped through (e.g., Figures). But the idea is the same: Peck them to death with Cloud Sprites/Mothdusts/Spellstutters and perhaps even a Mutavault if you have the mana, and counter everything else of any significance that they try to do.

QnT seems a bit harder as the games can tend to go on the long side, but it's still manageable. Boomerangs (and Consigns from the SB) help keep tempo as you bounce their Vivids, etc. Most of QnT's spells cost quite a bit, so you have a decent shot at winning the control war. The fact that they have a lot of instants and thus can try to overload your mana (EOT something to draw your counter, then Wrath/Firespout) means you have to be a bit more careful about what you counter and what you don't.

Anyway, try it out; it's a tough deck to play, but if you really think through your plays and make some good decisions, I think you'll find this deck plays better than Mothdust Changelings and Familiar's Ruse might lead you (or me, until now!) to believe.

Constructive comments - especially those based on actual playtesting instead of just theory/gut reactions - welcome, as always.

Thanks,
Kytep
Tonya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitter
Fucking
Blossom
nonroker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitterblossom makes faeries!

Bitter
Faeries
Blossom.

^The no cursing version^
ChiDoRiE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so like
your opponent was on the play and played bitterblossom on turn 2

you concede yet?
Ireland[CHI]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a little tematical of deck is cheap set, beacause if you puto sume Black to deck (paylands, filterrs and stuf) and + toghsize and bitter blossom is more $$$ and only U cheaper deck (like old times) unfortunly cryptic command is the most requiered card on deck with U but if yo have the 8 - 10 dollars the better inversion is buy it.

maybe try with evacuation, and godhead of awe in sideborar for kikthkien decks and stuf
Ireland[CHI]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiDoRiE wrote:
so like

you concede yet?

bumerang (:
bagina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just no. dlt this thread.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, by testing, find out if you can manage with 5,6 or 7 1-drops instead of 8. That would allow the inclusion of more cards, like fir instance Vendilion Clique.
trueeevil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite giving up some of the most powerful cards available to Faeries (Thoughtseize, Agony Warp), including arguably THE most powerful card (Bitterblossom),

Do you like giving up the most powerful card in a deck?
Tink903

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all i commend you on going with a new idea. its something you rarely see on ML Smile as for the deck i would run with vendilion in the sideboard for the control matchup. and maybe even flashfreeze also in the SB for RDW and nasty things like cloudthresher. the deck also seems to be lacking the ability to draw cards. maybe drop some 4 of to 3's and try ponder out. ill try to test the deck out a little more and give you some more insight.
asamodious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlauTakeR wrote:
maybe a little tematical of deck is cheap set, beacause if you puto sume Black to deck (paylands, filterrs and stuf) and + toghsize and bitter blossom is more $$$ and only U cheaper deck (like old times) unfortunly cryptic command is the most requiered card on deck with U but if yo have the 8 - 10 dollars the better inversion is buy it.

maybe try with evacuation, and godhead of awe in sideborar for kikthkien decks and stuf

If you cant afford the best cards in a format, you should clearly not try to play it seriously. You should just play casual.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asamodious wrote:
KlauTakeR wrote:

If you cant afford the best cards in a format, you should clearly not try to play it seriously. You should just play casual.

Or build a deck that is cheap but still optimized. If you have to replace the expensive cards in an optimized deck with cheaper alternatives, it is likely that the deck would perform worse, and then you have spent lots of money for nothing.

For example, you can build a good Kithkin or White Weenie deck for cheap, but Figure of Destiny, the most expensive card in the deck, makes all the difference. You would likely lose a game or two because of that, and that is a good enough reason to not play Kithkin/WW if you don't have 4 FoD.
Kytep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiDoRiE wrote:
so like

you concede yet?

No, and neither did I concede this exact situation in real life; instead, I went on to win the match, with some help from Boomerang and Cryptic Command.

I know this deck looks VERY sub-optimal, to put it nicely (hence "Sacrilege" in the title). But sometimes things that appear janky at first blush end up having enough synergies that they ultimately make a good - sometimes even great - deck. Perhaps that's the case here; perhaps not. But I'm trying to experiment, and so far, this experiment (of actually *testing* the deck, rather than glancing at it and saying "No Bitterblossom? Bah! It sucks!") is working out pretty well. My opponents (and I) have been amazed...

Kytep
Kytep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueeevil wrote:
Despite giving up some of the most powerful cards available to Faeries (Thoughtseize, Agony Warp), including arguably THE most powerful card (Bitterblossom),

Do you like giving up the most powerful card in a deck?

I'm willing to try it to experiment and approach a deck with a different way of thinking, rather than just throw a deck out with the proverbial bathwater (American idiom) because it doesn't include the most powerful card used in *another* deck.

Perhaps I'll eventually get back to include Bitterblossom, but I first wanted to try mono-Blue to see if it can work. Plus, in this deck, Bitterblossom almost seems to cost too much (as incredible as that sounds!). Nothing in the deck right now that's sorcery speed costs more than 1 mana. Tapping 2 mana early to play Blossom (which then may or may not get countered) seems too much for a deck that wants to keep as much mana open as possible to counter virtually everything of consequence an opponent might play.

Like I said, just an experiment. And it may not pan out. But so far, the results are surprisingly good.

Kytep
Kytep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:
You can, by testing, find out if you can manage with 5,6 or 7 1-drops instead of 8. That would allow the inclusion of more cards, like fir instance Vendilion Clique.

Perhaps; we'll see, and I'll keep an eye towards this. But I kind of doubt it, and I *really* want my 1-drops out on Turn 1. According to MWS, with 8, I have a 65% probability of having one on Turn 1 on the play, 71% on the draw. With 7, those probabilities drop to 60% and 65%, respectively. Not sure the 5% difference will be worth the occasional Clique, but I could try it...

Thanks,
Kytep
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2