Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standard Mono Black Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
CoreySnetsel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Standard Mono Black Control Reply with quote

I've been on a huge Mono Black kick recently, and with -1/-1 Counters and Blowfly Infestation, as well as all the small creatures being played in the current Aggro game, this is what I came up with.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
21 [UG] Swamp
2 [SHM] Leechridden Swamp

// Creatures
2 [LRW] Liliana Vess
3 [LE] Graveborn Muse
3 [EVE] Stillmoon Cavalier
4 [10E] Hypnotic Specter

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [SHM] Blowfly Infestation
3 [SHM] Corrupt
4 [EVE] Unmake
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
4 [SHM] Torture
3 [SHM] Scar

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [EVE] Crumbling Ashes
SB: 3 [10E] Ascendant Evincar
SB: 3 [EVE] Nightmare Incursion
SB: 3 [10E] Nightmare
SB: 3 [SHM] Painter's Servant

In a nutshell, it's got removal, the win conditions of creature swing and Corrupt, and all the counter removal. I haven't tested this deck yet against anything other than Kithkin, and it actually does well against it. I do need a bit of help with the sideboard. The Servants will most likely be final for the deck, as Colossus requires for my spells to be different colors than black. The Nightmare was just a "I need something to put here" spell. The Incursion isn't bad in the deck, as it gives me some degree of removal from their deck. The Ascendant would be for the Elves, Kithkin/Weenie match up, and pretty much any kind of tiny aggro deck. Crumbling Ashes is in there for added creature removal later on.

Help/Suggestions
nonroker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Painter's Servant "tech" versus chameleon doesn't work. The painter adds a colour to all permanents and spells. So your spells might be red or blue or white, but they'll still be black.

Chameleon collossus and Oversoul of dusk is two good reasons NOT to play mono black.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loss of Tendrils of Corruption, Korlash and Damnation makes it useless to build MBC.

Corrupt isn't a good enough reason to play only swamps. And I think that in any case, Wither isn't going to be a viable constructed strategy ever.

If you play Oona, Midnight Banshee, Divinity of Pride, Shriekmaw and other powerful win conditions, supported by loads of early creature control and disruption, then you might stand a chance. But I doubt that will ever be tier 1, and barely tier 2.
trueeevil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3 colosssus > your deck.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs Icy Manipulator or Trip Wire (wassitsname) yes.
magicbmx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first not i dont think this will be a high tier but also how its built is a reason its not good. First off u need like 25 land because well i would say 26 if u go with mutavault if not go 25 trust me it will run smoother. As for creatures. The muse is fine because yes its like your arena. Also cavs are fine because its kinda like shade i guess lol. U need a finisher Other the corrupt. Right now idk with the format so i would look into that kind of stuff and the hypies can maybe go board but i would play mind shatter over them. As for removal i dont like that setup at all to much weird going on. I would run icy main deck helps with things u really cant handle and well as a soft lock as well. Vess is also fine seeing it tutors but i would run beseach as well so u have more tutors in case. That way u can run a silver bullit or 2.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1