Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BGW Doran

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: BGW Doran Reply with quote

Here's my current build on Doran that I plan on taking to NY States, please let me know what you all think...

4x birds of paradise
4x wren's run vanquisher
4x tidehollow sculler
4x doran the siege tower
4x kitchen finks
4x chameleon colossus
1x llanowar elves

4x thoughtseize
4x nameless inversion
3x profane command
2x eyeblight's ending

4x treetop village
4x gilt-leaf palace
4x murmuring bosk
4x brushland
2x llanowar wastes
2x reflecting pool
1x twilight mire
1x wooded bastion

SB:
4x distress
4x infest
2x liliana vess
3x snakeform
2x naturalize

Some notes on the deck:
The deck has performed well and seems to be about 50/50 against everything which is what I'm pretty much expecting. However, there are a couple things that I'm thinking about... The naturalizes in the SB are fillers right now as I'm not sure what else I need. Also, I want to play Oblivion Ring somewhere between the MD and SB as an effective way of dealing with Runed Halo (card is soooo good), but not dead against everything else.

Constructive Criticism is appreciated. Thanks.
JPirk87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your md is actually fairly solid, i would have some blossums sb vs 5c and faeries.
Mirage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the elf support for Gilt-Leaf Palace and Wren's Run Vanquisher?

Also I'd put in Cloudthresher, maybe a couple Scrapbaskets if you can make the space

Last edited by Mirage on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Inversion
2 Ending
4 Vanquisher
4 Colossus
and last but not least, 1 llanowar elves.

I think he has enough. He has more Elves than he does Treefolk for Murmuring Bosk.
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrapbasket ? I'm sorry but that card is... more than terrible...
Cloudthresher maybe, but probably SB, I'll try it out. Thanks.
Joker4515

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanquisher is gonna stick in your hand mroe often than not. The diff between it and bosk on the critter count is how u play them. You want vanquisher on turn 2 and to be honest it is not all that likely you will have another elf in hand. The bosk can be played like a vivid land early, or when u need it IE to play doran or CC the untap it for you. SB does need either BB or Lark for the control matches. I run the slightly slower but much mroe consisten version with harbringer and I have much better matchups vs. most of the field. Kithkin is very very tough but the rest I have found to be in my favor. If you want my list i can share it since i'll be at TX states not NY. Smile
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do share.
I've thought about the vanquisher problem, would like to know what you approached it.
Thanks in advance
nonroker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer Harbinger versions of this deck. They're much more consistent, alowing you to tutor for removal and threats as the need arises. Also alows for explosive starts that can kill a control or combo deck with a slow hand before they can stabilize.

Turn 1 Murmuring Bosk, Treefolk Harbinger, search for a Treefolk harbinger
Turn 2 Vivid land, Treefolk Harbinger, search for Doran or Bosk depending on what you need to play a Doran on turn 3.
Turn 3. Bosk, reflecting pool or twilight mire, DORAN. Swing for 6.
Turn 4. Any land, Swing for 11. Hold mana for instant speed removal
Turn 5. Swing for win. Or if Doran is killed: Profane command for win.
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is coming out for treefolk harbinger in these decks ?
nonroker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually birds. The deck is slower, but more consistent.
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Joker4515: What do you side in against Kithkin and what've you found to be a consistently effective strategy against them? I feel like since all your creatures are bigger than theirs and your spells are essentially better, the best bet is to keep them off 3 attackers. The problem spell is really spectral procession. Am I right?

@non-roker: Do you find using harbinger instead of birds hurts your control matchup because the deck is slower? I feel like it would help against Kithkin though, to be more consistent and also have an 0/3 blocker.
Joker4515

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Here is my list and then I'll adress the questions aimed at me.

23 Lands

4 Murmuring Bosk
4 Vivid Marsh
4 Reflecting Pool
3 Treetop Village
1 Brushland
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Llanawar Wastes
3 Forest
2 Swamp

22 Creatures

4 Treefolk Harbringer
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Doran The Siege Tower
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Shriekmaw
3 Chameleon Colossus

15 Other Spells

4 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Cribswap
4 Nameless Inversion
3 Thoughtsieze
3 Profane Command

15 Sideboard

4 Infest
2 Crib Swap
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Mind Shatter
4 Bitterblossom

So i simply cut Vanquisher. The Finks have been alot of different cards. I tried a shamans sub theme with Wolfskull and Leaf Crowned elder for awhile. Tride Vanquisher, tried MD Blossom. In the end I like the life vs. RDW and sometime Kithkin, and blocking twice is good too. Vs. Kithkin I cut the thoughtseize and sculler for infest and oring. The infest doesn't faze this deck except occaisionally finks but it wreck kithkin. Time it after a hieghts has revelaed another procession or a Cloudgoat. If you have to though u can go 1 for one with a priocession and usually get some other collateral damage.

Vs. control I cut removal for shatter and BB. The blossom is almost unanswerable after boards in most 5c matches, and if they have esper charm ide rathe rthey kill that than draw more cards. hitting one shatter usually ends these games quickly.

The Harbringer is solid vs control too. If you drop one or 2 in the early turns then doran puts them on a 2-3 turn clock. I never mind drawing multiples either because they fix my land, or search up another doran or CC after WOG.

Garruk and Profane let you win games out of nowhere.
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the list, 'preciate it.
JimmyXu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@joker4515: I replaced the birds with treefolk harbinger, didn't really do anything else to the MD. The changes were
-4x birds of paradise
+3x treefolk harbinger, +1x llanowar wastes.

The harbinger into harbinger into doran play is amazing and works like a charm. Thanks for the input.
I was wondering how you think I might be able to up the elf count in the deck. I don't want to take out vanquisher as he has been really good in testing, but don't really know what I would take out of the MD for more elves (maybe imperious perfect>).
Joker4515

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy

If you wanna keep ur deck close to how it is and support Vanquisher here is what I would do.

3x Treefolk Harbringer
4x wren's run vanquisher
4x tidehollow sculler
4x doran the siege tower
4x Wolf-SKull Shaman OR Imperious Perfect
4x chameleon colossus
2x Garruk Wildspeaker

3x thoughtseize
3x nameless inversion
3x profane command
2x eyeblight's ending
1x Crib Swap

4x treetop village
4x gilt-leaf palace
4x murmuring bosk
4x brushland
3x llanowar wastes
2x reflecting pool
1x twilight mire
1x wooded bastion

SB:
4x distress
4x infest
2x liliana vess
3x snakeform
2x naturalize

This gives u 20 shamans for the wolfskull and 18 for the vanquisher. The 2 Garruk could be something else like perfect. They fill the same role in producing offense and pumpimg "most" of your critters. I still don't like your SB, but that is how I would updated YOUR list to keep vanquisher, and to be honest I may give it a run.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2