Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bant Lock

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
GirlWitCards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Bant Lock Reply with quote

Concept me and my brother came up with: Bant Lock.

Bant Lock is a WUG control deck that focuses on heavy removal, soft locks, and 1 hard lock to buy time till the board can lean in their favor.

The deck uses a slight tool box effect to pull the desired pieces when needed for numerous 2 card combos.

Bant Lock
Creatures - 13
4*Mulldrifter
4*Rhox War Monk
1*Sower of Temptation
1*Rafiq of the Many
1*Knight-Captain of Eos
1*Vigor
1*Empyrial Archangel

Spells - 23
4*MindStone
4*Bant Charm
4*Primal Command
3*Wrath of God
3*Condemn
3*Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2*Oblivion Ring

Lands - 24
4*Forest
4*Plains
4*Seaside Citadel
3*Island
2*Wooded Bastion
2*Mystic Gate
2*Flooded Grove
1*Adarkar Wastes
1*Brushland
1*Yavimaya Coast

SIDEBOARD - 15
4*Cancel
3*Relic of Progenitus
3*Cloudthresher
2*Oblivion Ring
1*Wrath of God
1*Stoic Angel
1*Chameleon Colossus

Soft locks

Elspeth/Knight-Captain of Eos - generate tokens with walker and sac one every turn to prevent combat damage.

Vigor/Empyrial Archangel - Vigor negates all damage dealt to angel and provides a huge creature.

Hard lock

Empyrial Archangel/Elspeth - Trigger walkers -8 ability and angel will be near impossible to move. Only outs are decking, platinum angel, forcing it to sac, and global board resets.

Now the combos don't go off every time and aren't intended too, the deck can win simply of good CA and beaters. But the deck drags the game out long enough to make combos viable and utilize the cards individually in effective ways.

Last edited by GirlWitCards on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeySam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played against you so you probably know my thoughts about this deck already but here we go again Smile

I think certain cards you play arent worth it, e.g. Espeth/Knight-Captain of Eos i dont like these cards in your deck and i told you that already, it just seems there are better cards for beatdown or control matches in those spots.

Something i didnt mention, but i think you need some counterspells, the flexibility a counterspell gives can not be overstated and is realy important to a plan for an control deck.

You also need to come up with a way to beat stuff like faeries, most of the cards you play wont give you a good game against tempo/control/aggro control decks, that probably arent played a lot right now because of the new cards came out and everyones trying a lot of stuff, but you still should watch those matchup, because if the format is more established there will be some tempo decks and i dont see your deck getting a good advantage against those.

Thats all i have to say, obviously in a metagame like this where a lot of stuff gets tried and in new metagames in general aggresive decks tend to be more played, it seems like a great deck, but if there will be more control/tempo decks you will get problems, so be prepared for that and good luck.

KeySam
boeda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Bant Control Reply with quote

Hey, this is the list I'm playing. It's becoming pretty solid, Mulldrifter, Sower, Bant charm and Cryptic command are the mvp's.

I'm still not convinced about Broken ambition, is a bit slow with the Cip lands..

Instead of Shriekmaw, Finks and Stoic Angel you could think of Reveillark and Glen Elendra Archmage. Although I prefer creature control in this environment.

25 Lands
4 [LRW] Vivid Creek
2 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
2 [SHM] Sunken Ruins
2 [10E] Underground River
2 [10E] Adarkar Wastes
3 [SHM] Mystic Gate
2 [EVE] Flooded Grove
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [LRW] Vivid Meadow

16 Creatures
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
3 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
3 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
3 [ALA] Stoic Angel
3 [LRW] Shriekmaw

19 Spells
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
3 [10E] Condemn
4 [ALA] Bant Charm
4 [LRW] Broken Ambitions
3 [LRW] Makeshift Mannequin
1 [EVE] Oona's Grace

Sideboard
SB: 3 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 3 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
SB: 3 [SHM] Firespout
SB: 3 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 [MOR] Mind Shatter

Any suggestions?
RiQuSP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem.. Isn't this just a total different list then what was suggested in post #1?

This is just 'another' version of QnT and has nothing to do with the original post.

About post #1, I'd play cryptic commands for sure...
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my version of QnT

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [TE] Reflecting Pool
2 [EVE] Flooded Grove
4 [LRW] Vivid Creek
3 [LRW] Vivid Grove
3 [LRW] Vivid Meadow
2 [LRW] Vivid Marsh
2 [SHM] Sunken Ruins
2 [SHM] Mystic Gate
1 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs
3 [RAV] Island (3)

// Creatures
4 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
2 [EVE] Archon of Justice
1 [SHM] Oona, Queen of the Fae
1 [EVE] Nucklavee
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
2 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
1 [EVE] Oona's Grace
1 [ALA] Cruel Ultimatum
2 [LOR] Makeshift Mannequin
2 [10E] Remove Soul
2 [SHM] Firespout
2 [U] Wrath of God
3 [ALA] Esper Charm
4 [LOR] Cryptic Command
3 [ALA] Bant Charm

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [10E] Remove Soul
SB: 1 [SHM] Firespout
SB: 2 [LRW] Wispmare
SB: 3 [SHM] Runed Halo
SB: 3 [LOR] Cloudthresher
SB: 4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
GirlWitCards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above posts are entirely different deck in both color and strategy. Sure they use the angel, but it's different none the less.
Tink903

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might wanna try kitchen finks instead of the monk....it lives through removal and survives aggro trades Smile just my opinion tho...the rest looks very solid to me i like your idea Very Happy
coolcreep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like driving isn't the only thing women can't do right. Oh, and voting too. Your "hard lock" dies to bounce spells, and requires a ton of investment.
IkeReilly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to be a dumbass... you realize if empyrial archangel becomes indestructible that the come only "dies" to global bounce? and who plays evacuation? If you think empyrial archangel can be bounced otherwise, you need to take some reading lessons.
GirlWitCards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolcreep wrote:
Looks like driving isn't the only thing women can't do right. Oh, and voting too. Your "hard lock" dies to bounce spells, and requires a ton of investment.
It's one thing to make a typical unintelligent internet post, but it's just fuckin funny when you wind up looking like a dumbass in the process. Sure you did men proud in that statement...

As for us driving impared females, we're aware that angel has shroud! Making it extremely hard to deal with...so unless your opponent is stacking there deck with crappy situational cards that are useless to other decks and have only one purpose in fighting my tutorable strategy...I don't think i'll be worried about it...the rest of the deck will probably beat that match up without the combo...which happens frequently.

I think the only viable out is to remove all my creatures and THEN use the UBR ultimatum
GirlWitCards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

side note...I'm curios why vivds are being used in triple color decks over the new triple color tap lands? Is there something i'm not getting?
Wichtelman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see how u beat any kind of control deck
but maybee its ok vs aggro
looks like its fun to play
GirlWitCards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wichtelman wrote:
i dont see how u beat any kind of control deck
but maybee its ok vs aggro
looks like its fun to play
Well this is a prototype. I've mainly been seeing aggro and have edited the deck to better suit it. Control is on my mind as of now, and I'm seeking a balance. There's plenty of room for card space debate and I'm pushing for it.

So I expect the list to change, but so far it's showing very prmoising results. I'd say this is probably the 2.0 version as the first version did not use primal/tool box list, and had different removal methods.

So please, test it and throw me suggestions.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played against one version of Archangel.dec which got it into the graveyard and reanimated it with Makeshift Mannequin.

He used Corpse Connoisseur to do so. The card is very good in Limited, so it may defend a place in a lock combo in Constructed.

You don't have to make Archangel indestructible at all. The 8 in toughness is lock enough, especially after a Wrath. Along with Shriekmaw, Mulldrifter and Kitchen Finks, Archangel thrives in a Mannequin deck.

So my advice is: less bickering about and dancing around the point. More focus and determination. Out with Rafiq, Knight, Vigor, Elspeth, a few Primal Command, and Condemn to the side. In with Mannequin tech. Consider Monk vs Kitchen Finks, or maybe even keep it and play both.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IkeReilly wrote:
way to be a dumbass... you realize if empyrial archangel becomes indestructible that the come only "dies" to global bounce? and who plays evacuation? If you think empyrial archangel can be bounced otherwise, you need to take some reading lessons.

I don't bother looking at bad cards more than once. When i first saw him there was no shroud.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3