Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U/B control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
muskogee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: U/B control Reply with quote

4x syphon life
3x bitterblossom
4x shreikmaw
4x nameless inversion
4x profane commands
4x cryptic command
4x rune snag
4x broken ambitions
4x ponder
2x oona, queen of the fae
4x dread ship reef
4x terramorphic expanse
4x sunken ruins
6x islands
5x swamp

sideboard
3x damnation
4x thoughtseize
3x sower temptations
3x millstone
2x tramatize

i have been messing around with this deck and so far this is the way i like it set up after i hit about my 7th land i just start pitching them to the syphon life it seems to be well fit at that time just not really sure what to side board at the moment so i threw one together...lol any help and some others trying it out and giving me their thoughts would be nice too.
ZW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just comment on that syphon life is a bad kill condition, your red, elves and faeries matchups seem bad, and that terramorphic expanse is not needed.
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1º 23 lands is not much, you need like 25-26 lands to be a control deck

2º- terramorphic expanse sucks

3º- syphon life is awfull

4º- 4 profane command is alot and because you only use 6 creatures is not that good

5º- where are the damnation's?

6º-overall the deck is bad i recommend trying some cards like teferi, venser ancestral visions (over ponder), terror (over nameless inversion) or maybe make a new mystical teachings deck
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachings is a great deck if you splash for green. You really can have a greedy mana base in stabdard. 26 mana is the correct number for control decks. You need that much mana to play your game changing spells. On the other have this puts you at a card and tempo disadvantage vs aggro or mid-range decks as they have more spells in their decks. You must have mass card draw to over come that.

I would say that some of the finishers that you would want would be Teferi, Tombstalker, and River Kelpie, I would also play Soul Snuffers and Shriekmaw. As for spells you should play any thing that gives you a two for one. Damnation, Teachings, and any command. Even Stupor could be good in the right build as it's a two for one trade.
theMamba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah get greedy so magus destroys you.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got a greedy manabase and have trouble with aggro decks running Magus of the Moon, just use 4 Firespout. It fixes that problem.
ZW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually use pyroclasm, I've been saying it forever, firespout is only better versus elves, and elves stinks now. Clasm kills every little guy in rdw and faeries that spout would kill,plus its cheaper so you can leave mana open for a counter.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with both of you. In a Teachings deck you would want to play one Redcap and one Sulfurous Blast on the side to deal with Magus of the Moon. Also you should already be playing 3-4 Coldsteel Heart and 23-24 lands with a good number of basic lands in the mix even in three color builds. Magus of the Moon is only really good vs 5 color decks.

I say that you should splash Green in Teachings for the obv Krosan Grip on the side to deal with Blossom and other stuff like Warhammers. The deck should be 95% UB. The thing that really stops Teachings from being a top choice for control players is Oversoul of Dusk and Colossi (I suck with spelling Razz )

I you see an Oversoul or Colosus on the table it's almost a scoop. You better find a Damnation fast or lose. Even then you may have to face even more. So you have to realy be in four colors. You need White for Condemn/Crib Swap. Some players with also use Grim Poppet as a one or two of in the main deck to fix that along with the Teeg issue.
ZW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldnt't be any basic land in a 3 color mix, besides maybe an island or 2, and coldsteel heart seems bad :/
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post my UB aggro/control list here to show a possible path to a non-faerie strategy in those colours.

It has proven quite strong in testing, but I am currently far away from a real life deck. It is very expensive. One of the good parts about this deck, is that most people think it is some weird Faerie deck and thus side in their anti-faerie sideboard tech against it. That doesn't work out very well, for the most part.

My previous version of the deck had less creatures and 4 Ancestral Vision. I haven't yet decided if this incarnation is actually better.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
8 [10E] Island (2)
4 [SHM] Swamp (4)
4 [LRW] Secluded Glen
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [SHM] Sunken Ruins

// Creatures
3 [SHM] Sygg, River Cutthroat
2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
1 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
3 [LRW] Shriekmaw
2 [LRW] Wydwen, the Biting Gale
4 [TSB] Shadowmage Infiltrator
1 [SHM] Glen Elendra Liege
2 [TSP] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

// Spells
4 [CS] Rune Snag
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
2 [PLC] Damnation
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 3 [10E] Boomerang
SB: 3 [10E] Deathmark
SB: 4 [10E] Bottle Gnomes
SB: 3 [MOR] Mind Shatter

The deck is built up around card-drawing engines - Shadowmage Infiltrator and Sygg. I normally build up tokens with Bitterblossom so that I deal 3 damage, then play Sygg. Eventually play a Clique, Wydwen or Teferi at eot, attack for 3 and then play Sygg. If I have a Venser in hand along with Sygg, I normally play Sygg early, then Venser eot making sure I hit for 3 the following turn. Once I start drawing 2+ cards a turn, the deck is very difficult to stop.

I never wait until I have counter backup for Infiltrator, even though the chances are high that the opponent can kill him straight away. I know I will have more resources than them in the end, and if I suspect they run card advantage like for instance Mulldrifter engine, the game becomes sort of a control-on-control attrition war.

Boomerang seems like a weird sideboard choice, but they come in quite often and does the job, actually. Especially important in the counter-matchup.

I am not sure if I have posted this deck before, but if I did repeat myself, please ignore.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's the Wizard tribal deck that we worked on pre-Shadowmoor mini block. It is a great deck and most of the standard sideboard cards are dead vs the deck. I will have to say that Finkle and Mistbind are the key cards in my testing. Wynden was also very good. I played two Psionic Blast over Damnation in the main for the game ending damage. Damnation was in my sideboard as though.

I am really glad that you still have and play a version of the list.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Damnation has come in since then. I can't remember if this is a survivor of that list, though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1